Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Baby Names (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Baby Names
John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Icon 6 posted      Profile for John_Bonsan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I've adjusted...I am adjusting...to the fact that I will be a father. Over the weekend the ultrasound said there are two of the little guys in there. My girlfriend and I are seeing a counsler who's helping us deal with all the complicated stuff like insurance, custody, school...all that jazz. So I figure I'll make a board here..more lighthearted than the last.

Naming one baby seemed hard enough. Now there are two. My girlfriend...who's little Miss Organization...wants me to have three sets of names picked out. Two girls, two boys, and a girl and a boy. We'll be getting together one day to sort through the names. I thought this was something we should do together..but she said no.. I'm not one to pick a fight with a pregnant woman...

I want the names to be connected some how. Not rhyming. I don't want to torture the kids... Maybe the same first initial? If you have any ideas throw them at me.

Also..meaning does mean something. I love the name Abigail. It means "father's joy". So if I pick that, the other name should mean something cool like that too. Abigail and Paige sounded good together. But Paige meant something like "assistant". That didn't seem right.

So again, any ideas, suggestions, or thoughts on names, toss them out here. [Smile]

[ 07-17-2006, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: John_Bonsan ]

Posts: 103 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Congrats!

Here are some names that I really like, and their meaning from babynames.com

Annabel - Grace and Beauty (Can be shortened to Anna which means gracious)
Alexander - Protector of Mankind
Ryan - Young royaly
Emily - Admiring

Let us know what names you and your girlfriend pick out!

[Smile]

[ 07-17-2006, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: blysse_norwood ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John_Bonsan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Annabel is really pretty. I hate the name Anna though... Annabel and Abigail for girls names sounds nice...maybe. I seem to be focusing on girl's names. I think I want daughters more than I want sons...

And the others are nice, but so common. I don't want names that a bunch of other kids have.

Posts: 103 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point...

Mind if I suggest others? I'm having a lot of fun looking up more uncommon names...

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John_Bonsan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hah. Absolutley!!! Go right ahead. ^^

I'm going to need the most help with boy names though...

-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

yay!

Ok, I'll look for boy names now but first, 4 other girl names:

Caitlin
Savannah
Iris
Lily (not exactly uncommon, but very pretty IMO)

I actually have no idea if those names are common or not, but they're not names you hear everyday...

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

dont_ask
Neophyte
Member # 29718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dont_ask     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boys

Keenen
Harley
Cole
Dathan
Grady
Patrick

Girls

Amy
Heather
Jessica
Laura
Marie
Mariah
Brandi

Good luck with the names!

Posts: 15 | From: cananda | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

More boy names:

Callum
Tobias
Mikhail
Sebastian
Julian
Gavin
Vincent
Zacarias

and another girl name: Eleni

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

poppybluefrogs
Activist
Member # 22137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppybluefrogs         Edit/Delete Post 
Girls names i love are

Niamh (said as kneev)
Alicia
Lydia
Mai
Marie
Jennifer
Caitlin
Elizabeth (this is a family favourite it's my sister's first name and my grandmothers and my cousin's middle names)

Boys names i like are

Oliver
Jack
Tomas
Michael
Darren
Joshua

Posts: 228 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Elizabeth is my girlfriend's name. [Smile] We weren't planning on naming the kids after ourselves. But it is a very pretty name.

Oliver is kind of cute. Julian is awesome.

But the thing I need help with is how to connect them somehow...

-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Here's a possible connection:

Julian ends with the first two letters of Annabel...

I'll try to think of more connections on the bus ride home.

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

That's...stretching it.. xD

Could two names have the same meaning but not sound like same? Like Julie and Julia probably have the same meaning, but they sound similar..

wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilddove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John
Congrats on twins

Names are so individual, so you may love or hate or like these. Also sometimes name association plays in, like if there was a kid that always picked on you with a certain name or someone u dont get on with has a name you probably wont chose it.

As for the connection thing, sometimes names can go together without actually having like same initial or the like, they just combine well naturelly. I'd be wary of giving them names too alike like julie and julia, I mean they are going to be twins but hopefully they will be individual kids too, especially as they grow up, so is nice if bit more different then that [Smile]

Girls names I like

Aisyah (i - ish - ah)
Sophie
Kaia (pronounce ki (rhyme with hi) yah )
Isabelle
Aisling
Katie
Katrina
Amy

Boys names I like
Harry
Michael
Jeffrey
Joshua
Matthew
Peter
Sean
Cian
Jacob
Charlie
Ultimately you have to chose names you both like

combinations i love would be(i've put in brackets names id do if having same initial)

two boys

Matthew and Joshua (Matthew and Michael)

two girls

Katie and Isabelle (Katie and Kaia)
(Amy and Isabelle)

girl and boy

Sophie and Matthew (Sophie and Sean)

Let me know what you think, and which names u choose!

Posts: 112 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faith54
Activist
Member # 27855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith54     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of naming a few, I'll give you a link to a wonderful website:

http://www.behindthename.com

It's a great website full of information. It sorts names according to gender, nationality, and genre (mythology, biblical, etc.), and even has names for multiples! BTW, congrats on your children [Smile]

--------------------
"My grandmother never gave gifts- she was too busy being raped by cossacks." ~ Woody Allen

Posts: 107 | From: United States | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the FAQ:

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum10/HTML/000019.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum10/HTML/000569.html

Congrats and good luck!

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommy4life15
Activist
Member # 21345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommy4life15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Im having trouble trying to find names for my new little one as well. With my daughter there was NO doubt that I wanted her name to be Rylee. Of course I looked at all different spellings. My poor fiance he didnt even get a chance to name her, but we both decided on a middle name. He loves her name now it just suits her, she is very courageous. Now we are both deciding on a name together for this one and cant even think of one name that we like.

Abigail & Annabel (Grace and Beauty)
Abigail & Amanda (Worthy of love)

I like Ryan & Riley (or however you want to spell it) for a boy and girl. Ryan means little king and Riley means valiant and courageous.

I couldnt think of any boys names.

Good luck on finding names!

Posts: 51 | From: florida | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sexualghost
Activist
Member # 26692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sexualghost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Girls Names:

Kasia(Pronounced Ka-Sha): Meaning Pure (One of My Favorites)
Ewa or Eve: Meaning "Brings Life"
Adrianna: Dark or "From Adria"
Cailin: Meaning "Girl"
Ciara: Meaning "Saint Name"
Kathleen: "Innocent"
Alena: "light or Bright one"
Antonina: "Beyond Price,Invaluable, or Priceless
Nika: "True Image or Honest Image"
Tatyana: Was a myth name for a fairy Queen
Victoria or Tori: Meaning Victory
Lyaksandra: Defender of Man
Hannah: Grace or Favour
Alyssa: Noble or Nobility
Amber: After the precious stone (i like this name personally)
Cassie: Vigilant or Watchful
Cymberly(different spellings): From the royal Meadow
Anastasia: Resurrection, Rebirth, She shall rise again
Athena: Wise

Boys Names:

Jozef: God Shall Add
Mateuze: Gift From God
Stanislaw: Camp Glory
Tomislaw or Tomis for short: Glory of the Twin
Dodek: Meaning Noble Wolf
Vassily: Kinglike
Tibor: Holy Place
Aristid: Son of a great man
Giles: Shield Bearer
Hector: Steadfast
Julian: Youthful
Owen: Well-born

Alright so i've determined it's easier to find girls names than it is to find boys names....at least for me, haha...anyways hope this helps a little bit...and i'll continue looking for more.

[ 07-18-2006, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: sexualghost ]

Posts: 42 | From: Drifter | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppybluefrogs
Activist
Member # 22137

How about then, if you want connected names, the male and female version of a meaning, or the same name meaning in different languages?
Posts: 228 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Whoah! I didn't expect so much feedback. [Smile] A bunch of these links are awesome. Helping out a ton.

Girls names are infinitely earier to choose... I have a bunch. Abigail and Annabel are by far my favorites though.

I think I'm going to go with the first initial. Or just nothing at all. So then they can be different little people...And not always be bound by not just appearence and blood...but their name. If they do happen to have the same first initial it's by coincidence.

For boys... I do love Julian. That was simple. A book I read last night used the name Callum...I've never heard that before. It took a few chapters for me to adjust to it, but it is different... You don't hear it too often. It means Dove...

Does anyone have feedback on the name Callum?

-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Hi,

Yay, Callum! I actually really like that name (and I think I suggested it in the same list as Julian). I also read it in a book, and I thought it was a very nice name. It's unusual, but it's not hard to pronounce, or to spell, so that's practical.

Because of the meaning, I definitely associate Callum with someone peaceful and calm, which I think are some good qualities to promote.

Well that's just my two cents...

Will you be finding middle names too?

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

bellaitaliana69
Activist
Member # 29887

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bellaitaliana69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some of my favorite names :

Girls:
Diana
Katherine
Margherita
Jada
Gianna

Boys:
Dante
Nathaniel
Miguel
David

--------------------
"Only fear the things which have the power to harm" --Dante Aligheri, "Inferno" canto 2

A miracle is not the suspension of natural law, but the operation of a higher law.

Posts: 136 | From: Roma, Italy | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScarcelyHeard
Activist
Member # 29242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarcelyHeard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend wants to name his kids Damaras and Persephonie...

He loves uncommon ancient Greece names... 'cause he's into that kind of thing...

But no way am I naming a daughter of mine Persephonie.

My aunt has a daughter named Kimberlyn... I know a girl named Brynlie and a guy named Catlin (pernounced Cat-lynn).

Personally, I love the names Fiona, Claire, Owen, Damien, and Marc.

I like you're idea of coming up with meaningful names. I just hope what you choose isn't going to be as the name I'll get if I do marry the guy I love... Samantha Hamilton... Sam Hamilton, not so bad, but it doesn't quite have the same appeal as the name I have now.

My dad named me... after Alyssa Milano's character, Samantha, on the show "Who's the Boss?"

[ 07-21-2006, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: ScarcelyHeard ]

Posts: 80 | From: Canada's East Coast | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wild dove! I was going to suggest A'ishah too [Big Grin] I love that name. It means "living and prosperous" in Arabic. I love doing this! I helped choose the name of my best friend's baby sister [Smile] I have a name meaning book next to me. Though there's one boy's name I really like but isn't in there; Rayne. OK, here goes.
Girls:
Alma: "soul" in Spanish
Amaya: "night rain" Japanese
Christabel: "beautiful Christian" in Latin (I remembered you come from a conservative Catholic family [Smile] )
Gaia or Gaea: "mother Earth" in Greek
Lindsay: "isle of Linden trees" Old English
Nadia: "promise" (Slavic), "laden with dew" (Arabic)
Naomi: "cordiality" Hebrew
Vanessa: "butterflies" Greek

Boys:
Adam: "he who sprang from the Earth" Biblical
Blair: "medow child" Irish Gaelic
Camillo: "noble youth attending in religious services" Latin (possibly Callum is a variation?)
Casimir: "enforces peace" Slavic
Din: "calm" Vietnamese
Eden: (obvious. Can be used for both sexes)
Elijah: "Jehova is my God" Biblical
Elisha: "God is my salvation" Hebrew
Ezra: "aid" Hebrew
Griffin: "fierce" Welsh
Joshua: "God saves" Hebrew
Julian: "young" or "faint beard" Latin
Leon: "lion" Spanish
Matthew: "divine present" Hebrew
Noah: "calm" Hebrew (Noah and Din mean the same thing!)
Rayne: don't know much about it. I just liked the name.
Rees: "passionate" or "spontaneous" Old Welsh
Rohan: "sandlewood" in Hindi. Also from Lord of the Rings, name for a kingdom of superior horsemen (thanks veggie!)
Tai: "talent" Vietnamese
Tobias: "God is great" Hebrew
Toshiro: "talented" or "intelligent" Japanese (Tai and Toshiro mean the same thing also)
Zane: "God is giving" (the book just says variant of John...no language given).

That was fun [Smile] Even though I probably came too late. Hope it helps!

P.S: I usually go overboard with the girls names. But since less guys names had been suggested, i decided to put more of those than of girls ^^;

[ 07-23-2006, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Nailo ]

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blueveggie
Activist
Member # 26508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueveggie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI- rohan isnt a 'town of horse riders'.. it's more of a country/kingdom and it's home to the Rohirrim who are one of the more formidable armies and superior horsemen [Wink]

LOTR freak checking in! ;-p

a lot of these sound great.. just don't get too extreme, remember these kids have to go through high school with that name..

sigh!

Posts: 86 | From: southern CA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol, I only saw the movie [Razz] didn't read the books. Excuse my ignorance. It looked pretty run down on the screen. [Embarrassed] I'll edit that in a jiffy. I wasn't sure if horsemen was even a word...

It's ok to be a LOTR freak!!

[ 07-22-2006, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: Nailo ]

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Girls:

Catherine
Joselle
Anya
Brooke
Diana
Kali
Summer
Autumn
Tuesday
Jean
Liz

Yes,lol -- the names are pretty random!

Boys:

Gene
Robert
Salem
Dante
Jacob
Robin
Lee(or Leigh for a girl)
Connor
Orrin

[ 07-22-2006, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: daria319 ]

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is more what I'm going to call my kids (in aboutn 10 years or so, I'm 15 at the minute [Smile] )
Boys
Seth (Appointed)
Owen (Fortunate one)
Joel (God is willing)
Eron (Peace, enlightened)

Girls
Lara (Cheerful)
Laura (Laurel-crowned)
Lucy (Bringer of light)
Erin (Ireland)
Marissa (Of the Sea)

On a little side-note, my name (Joseph, for those who might don't know) means 'God will Increase'. This is kind of poignant for me because I feel in the last few years like God has raised me up out of a difficult phase of my life to a place where I am successful and happy. Does anyone else know their name's meaning and how truthful it is?

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blondie89
Neophyte
Member # 28303

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blondie89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! Twins are a real blessing, and it's so awesome that you're putting so much effort into naming them! [Big Grin]

I have HUNDREDS of names that I love, but my favourites at the moment are:

BOYS: Thomas - "Twin"; Luca - "from Lucania"...probably not what you're looking for, but these are both great friends of mine!

GIRLS: Mieke (Mee-ka), Keira...sorry don't know meaning for either!! just heard them and thought they were gorgeous!

Oh and my name means "Who is like God", and, well, no comment... [Wink]

Posts: 9 | From: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Joseph: I really liked the name Zeth too...but got dissapointed with what this book says it means. "Compensation" or "replacement"! [Eek!] I wouldn't do that to my child. Too bad, because I love the name.

Blondie: Keira is a variation of Kira, which means "lady" in Russian.

My name means "Christian from the isle of Linden trees" (Lindsy Cristina). What can I say. The island sounds neat, but I'm not a Christian. Cristina is a family name though. There's been 6 of them in my family!

--------------------

daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was named after both my parents -- from James, I got Jamie, and from Robin Leigh, I got Leigh. So I ended up with something along the lines of "supplanter" or "usurper" and "meadow". Our last name means "gatekeeper" or "guardian", so the meanings sort of flow together in an odd way.

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnowLhite
Neophyte
Member # 29534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnowLhite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A thought for connecting the names - dunno if it's already been mentioned - why not have names with the same meanings?
It makes the connection that much more deeper and special.

I used to know some good name meaning sites (I'm a writer, and as such have a name-meaning addiction;) ), but for the life of me I cannot remember them, but I'm sure a web search will pop up with something good.

--------------------
"Love and let love."

~Snowy~

Posts: 32 | From: HELL also Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathilde
Activist
Member # 27083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathilde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GIRL

Isabella [Consecrated to God]
Adeline [Noble, Kind]

BOY

Elliott [Consecrated to God]

I'll put up more soon.

Posts: 80 | From: Alabama, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppybluefrogs
Activist
Member # 22137

oh i just looked at a website and saw the cutest names!

Matilda and Madeline! how cute are those!

John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Turns out we're having two little girls...Thank goodness. Names were easier to pick...! Abigail and Annabel. It was funny...when I was talking with my girlfriend about names she mentioned the name Annabel. That was her favorite...and one of mine. So it works... Unless they come out and look nothing like Abigail and Annabel... I'm so excited to go out and get all the little girl stuff. I know all girls don't like pink...but they'll be babies! And it will be fun to make them little princesses.

Just a question, if I want to discuss a different topic..still about the babies..should I make a new board? Or continue talking on this one?

Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you wanted a quick response, you'd probably be better starting a new thread. But if it was connected and you wanted to take quotes from earlier posts, I'd recommend carrying on on this one. I don't know about anyone else, but I go through all the threads I've taken part in regularly, so it wouldn't make any difference in terms of people veiwing your posts.

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.