Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Not Sure..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not Sure..
ktbaby
Neophyte
Member # 29643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktbaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok.. So I had my period around the 21st of May, and afterwards I didn't put on another birth control patch because I ran out(I had been doing so every week for 3 weeks then the fourth week being left for a period). Since then, I have not had another period, and I have had sex. My boyfriend never has come inside of me, but he does come after he pulls out. Since the entire month of June, I've had no period, *I* feel because I ran out of the birth control.. Which would mess up my cycle (it's done it before when I've been on birth control while still a virgin). I have no symptoms of pregnancy, but pretty much all vaginal discharge is gone in the past couple of days and my stomach hurts. I plan to get a test tomorrow or Saturday, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion on if they think I'm pregnant or not beforehand. I have been tested for all STDs including HIV/AIDS in the past six months and tested negative for all (though I doubt that has anything to do with it).

[ 06-30-2006, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: ktbaby ]

Posts: 3 | From: georgia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I plan to get a test tomorrow or Saturday, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion on if they think I'm pregnant or not beforehand.

Since we're not psychic, we're not going to be able to tell [Big Grin] .

But the pregnancy test will.

Pre-ejaculate can contain sperm, so you've had a significant risk here, and looking for "symptoms" is not a reliable way of seeing if you're pregnant or not.

So taking a pregnancy test is the smart thing to do.

I have been tested for all STDs including HIV/AIDS in the past six months and tested negative for all

That's great, but unless your boyfriend has also been tested, unprotected sex still gives you an STI risk.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktbaby
Neophyte
Member # 29643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktbaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, totally understandable about the STIs, but at least those can be cleared up and as of yet I've had no problems. I just wanted to see if anyone had the same thing happen with birth control mainly, and if the lack of discharge might've given me a clue. I'm rarely ever that dry, though I thought ovulation might cause that as well as the stomach cramps. It seems when I ovulate both occur (but even then normally I have less discharge.. not to the point that it seems I have none though).
Posts: 3 | From: georgia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, ktbaby, what logic_grrl said about your boyfriend and STIs still stands- if your boyfriend has not been tested as well, you still have had substantial risks. And not all STIs can just be "cleared up" Herpes and HPV are viruses that stay with you for your lifetime and are becoming more and more common. Chlamydia and Gonorrhea can be asymptomatic and if not caught and treated, can lead to PID which can leave you infertile. And STIs in young men and women are abundantly more common than pregnancy.

Ovulation does cause a change in discharge, as well as changes in hormonal levels in your body in general, which could have happened from being on and off a hormonal method. But really, discharge isn't going to tell you a lot about anything, especially when you've just come off hormonal birth control and especially if you haven't been tracking regularly for awhile.

Stomach cramps can also be related to a hundred or more ailments.

Your best bet is still the pregnancy test.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ilovemiboi
Neophyte
Member # 30299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilovemiboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped takin my birthcontrol pills about a month ago and last night i had unprotected sex with my boyfriend but he pulled out i'm really scared because i'm a cheerleader and a trackrunner for my school and if i'm pregnant i wouldnt be able to perform well in my sports i know it was dumb and i shoulda used protection but it was a heat of the moment thing sooo does anyone have any idea what the chances are of me bein pregnant?

--------------------
edbaby

Posts: 1 | From: maryland | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you do not wish to become pregnant, you will want to obtain emergency contraception.

Might your risks be less because of so recently being on BCPs? maybe, but maybe not. But if you're not ready to become pregnant, it'd be a foolish gamble to take when you can protect yourself with EC.

And remember: even in the heat of the moment, we make decisions, and you ALWAYS have a right to decline sex for any reason, including when no one has birth control.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktbaby
Neophyte
Member # 29643

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ktbaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this topic is somewhat old, but to update everyone I ended up having my period in July. I also ended up having my period on the correct time in August without bc, so I'm quite happy about that. [Smile]

I hate taking birth control (and now he wears a condom every time), just because it messes with my hormones and at times makes me very depressed. Lately I've been charting my cycles, which I know isn't 100%, but it's at least helped me understand how my body works a bit better.

As far as all the STI's and such we plan to get tests done soon, so everything is taken care of for now [Smile]

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ktbaby, have you talked to your OB/GYN about other options?

There are nonhormonal methods you can combine with condoms, after all.

(And there's little sense in charting when you're on BCPs, for the record, since you've no fertilty cycle TO chart.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.