Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » a few questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a few questions
DitzyBlonde
Neophyte
Member # 28534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DitzyBlonde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lately a few questions have come up that i have regarding some friends and me.. sorry if some of them are stupid!! [Confused]

1. I was at a party with one of my friends who is 8 weeks pregnant, and she was trying not to drink, but since everyone else had a beer, she wanted one too. Another friend of mine that was there said that one beer a night wont hurt the baby one bit... I honestly didnt agree with her because i thought the alcohol content could damage the baby severely...Is what she said true since the baby is still only 8 weeks along, or is it worse because the baby is only 8 weeks along???

2. I have another friend who might be 3-4 weeks pregnant. I know from past experiences that mood swings of a pregnant chick can get pretty bad, but how soon can they possibly start???

3. here is a question about me: A few months back, i got my period about 2 weeks late and it hurt for 3 days. Not like regular cramps, but like non stop crying!! I talked with one of my friends who it had also happened to once before, and she had gone to the Doctor who told her that she miscarried, and all the pain was from that. I did call the hospital one day when it was hurting pretty bad (i didnt have a ride in to town) and the nurse i talked to said that i probably just had cramps and i should just take some pain medicine to get rid of some of it. Do you think that it is possible i miscarried?
Also another one of my frineds kept naggin me to go see a doctor a few weeks later, cuz she said i could have really hurt something inside me, should i have gone to the doctor??

--------------------
*~We may fight, we may cry, but my love for you will never die~*

Posts: 20 | From: Missouri | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. It really is best to seriously limit alcohol when you're pregnant. Given, European women often have different habits, still have a beer or a wine now and then and have perfectly healthy babies. But the less one drinks, the better: a beer every night would NOT be healthy for a baby or the mother. And ultimately, once you become pregnant, you've really got to be able to choose things in the best interest of the child: it's not that difficult to just not have a beer. As well, one would hope that any friend of a pregnant woman would support her in those choices, rather than trying to tell her to choose differently.

2. Heavy mood swings just a few weeks in from pregnancy would be pretty unusual. The big hormonal changes just don't start that soon. However, being pregnant can be a really big deal emotionally, so even when hormones aren't an issue, the emotional weight of dealing with a pregnancy and what that means can have profound effects on a woman's mood.

3. Very early miscarriage tends to be no different than a normal period. Generally, you'd not have pain or very heavy cramping from miscarriage unless the pregnancy was a couple to a few months in. Did you actually have a pregnancy risk before then? Are you up-to-date with your STI screenings if you've been having unprotected sex?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DitzyBlonde
Neophyte
Member # 28534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DitzyBlonde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. She is trying to do whats in the best intrest of the baby, except i think its hard for her when people encourage her to take a drink. Her bf trys to keep an eye on her to make sure that no one is offering her any beer or a cigarette or anything, but she still smokes a few times a day (she is trying to cut down to 3 or 4 cigarettes a day), but she also smokes weed. I honestly cant see how she would do that to her baby, but i dont know what to tell her when i see her doing it besides how bad it is.

2. If she was only 3-4 weeks pregnant, is there any changes that would be noticeable?

3. It was possible that i was pregnant then, but i didnt think i was until my friend told me about what happened to her.

--------------------

Posts: 20 | From: Missouri | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like, then, she needs to change who she is hanging around. It's not atypical for the friends one has before pregnancy and parenting to not be the right friends to keep around after that change.

At 3-4 weeks of pregnancy, mostly what you're dealing with is nausea, feeling a little more tired.

Per the possibility of pregnancy, again, I'd be more concerned with those symptoms about STIs than about miscarriage. Plus, if your friend hadn't been confirmed pregnant, her doc really couldn't likely have diagnosed a miscarriage that early in the game.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DitzyBlonde
Neophyte
Member # 28534

Thank you for everything! I appreciate the time you took to answer my questions!!

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.