Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Godparents?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Godparents?
treespirit
Neophyte
Member # 27391

Icon 10 posted      Profile for treespirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my friends is pregnant (determined to keep the child and raise it herself if at all possible), and she asked my boyfriend and I to be the godparents...
I'd love to be a role model, but to be practical, I'm 16. I have a feeling this kid's gonna need as much help as he/she can get, though; my friend honestly won't be the most stable of parents (she hasn't had a fantastic example). How can I (realistically) help her and her child?

------------------
Only in the dark can you see the stars.

Posts: 4 | From: My Own Little World | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 10 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a godparent is not just a title, it also comes with a legal responsibility, if done officially. (This also may mean that at 16 you cannot legally become god parents because you are not yet a legal adult)

The role of godparents, generally, is that if anything is to happen to both of a child's parents which makes them unable to care for the child (ie death, etc), then the godparents become the legal guardians of that child and are legally responsible for providing for that child.

If you do want to help your friend, by all means let her know that you're there for her, but also try and be sure she sees the situation relaistically and you do as well. At 16, who knows what can happen in your life (and also remember the fact that you and your boyfriend may not be together forever) and to tell your friend you'd be willing to accept that sort of position will force you to take a lot more personal responsibility (regardless of whether or not anything is made legal).

So, again, realistically, tell her you'll try and help her in any way you can, but also be sure she knows your own realistic limitations.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.