Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » pregnant without sex???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnant without sex???
Wannawait81
Neophyte
Member # 26924

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Wannawait81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually my periods are very regular, but in times of stress it changes. Like just after I graduated from high school, for example, I waited 43 days for my period, and worried about pregnancy even though I wasn't even sexually active at all. Stupid, yeah, but it didn't occur to me that maybe it was just the stress of graduating.

Now I've graduated from college and I'm facing many important decisions in my life. I have a boyfriend of 3 years, and we've been intimate (touching, kissing, etc) a lot, but never had sex - or rather, we engaged in manual activities occasionally, but never vaginal intercourse. However, recently I've had a fluctuation in my period schedule. I went to San Francisco November 1st and had my period for 5 days starting with the flight (on schedule though). Two weeks later when I flew back, I had my period again, November 15th, after all kinds of walking and running for several hours each day.

My graduation was months before in May, but my boyfriend just graduated in December. I think we had some fairly intimate nights just before he graduated (although still no sex). I've been sorta stressed about our next step in life.. so I don't know if it's a factor or what.. but it's already January 10th (which is 8 weeks after my last period started), and I still haven't had another period yet. Should I be worried about pregnancy??? I'm not queasy or experiencing any of the symptoms I found online, but I haven't seen a gynocologist yet. Any advice? Am I being stupid/paranoid? Please help, thanks.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 10 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only way you would've had a risk from manual sex ('fingering') is if he had semen on his hands when he touched you ... Otherwise, you have had no risk.

You can go ahead and take a pregnancy test anyway though; this is the first thing they will do when you go to see your GYN anyway There relatively inexpensive, and my give you peace of mind.

Missing a cycle or two isn't generally a huge deal, though if you miss another one, you may want to consider making an appt with your GYN to make sure there's no medical reason for this.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wannawait81
Neophyte
Member # 26924

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Wannawait81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your reply. This is pretty much what I thought, and I was getting so upset over all this, because I am pretty sure it's physically impossible for me to have gotten pregnant, especially because I'm a stickler for hand washing between our activities, but accidents can happen.. still, I kept thinking how unfair it would be to get pregnant that way, considering we wanted to wait to have sex (in the conventional way, I guess).

Despite the odds, I was still very emotional and confused about everything, and my boyfriend drove up two hours to see me and take me to the store to get a test. It was negative, so I'm relieved to some extent, but on the other hand I'm pretty sure I have something wrong because I've been having a lot of abdominal pain.

I went to the doctor who said I have a colon infection (probably has been around for a month since I had a really awful stomach flu), and he put me on erythromycin to see if it would clear things up (however I'm only experiencing more pain thus far). I'm wondering if that is affecting my period schedule, or if they are entirely unrelated problems. I guess I'll have to wait until my next appointment (in a month) to figure things out... any ideas?

Thanks.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 10 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I answered this question in your other post. Please do not double post; this usually results in questions being answered twice, which is usually unnecessary. Thanks )
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cocoa_kitty
Neophyte
Member # 26957

Icon 10 posted      Profile for cocoa_kitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a lot of factors can affect your period cycle. things like physical activity and mood fluctuations and stress, like you said, affect mine, too. when i was in spports, i wouldn't get my period all summer long, and before i went on the pill, i got my period 3 times a year (yah, i sucked. lol). every gal's different, and the whole "time of the month" can be more like the "time of the year" for some...i wouldn't worry about it.
if you are worried though, you could go see a gynecologist. if you go on the pill, you get it regularly every month, so that might be one suggestion if your period absences are stressing you out. good luck!

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 10 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wrong forum, sorry.

[This message has been edited by ookuotoe (edited 01-12-2006).]

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wannawait81
Neophyte
Member # 26924

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Wannawait81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Sorry for the double posting. It wasn't intended as such, I guess here I was more concerned about the possibility of pregnancy whereas the other was more about the colon infection I have.. but anyway, sorry.)

I'll say thanks here too like I did at the other one (http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/001135.html) - and I'll just say that after being on the meds for a day and a half, my abdominal pains went from bad to really worse but then to much better (now), and my period actually started again this afternoon, so yeah, I'm sure the infection was playing a role in this.

So thanks again everyone. This has all been very helpful and informative. And I'll be more careful not to duplicate posts in the future. Thanks everybody!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.