Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Who is the baby's father??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who is the baby's father??
trustless
Neophyte
Member # 19317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trustless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My younger sister had unprotected sex with two different boys in the same month. She said the first was on August 14 and the second was August 23 she conceived on the 24th.So which is more likely to be the father?
Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trustless
Neophyte
Member # 19317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trustless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh and was most fertile aroud the 19th
Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had your younger sister actually been charting her ovulation patterns? If not, she can't know when she was ovulating.

If she WAS charting -- and she's also had regular mesntrual cycles to even do so, for at least five years -- and the 19th was her predicted ovulaton day from the cycle before, then the August 14th date would be far more likely. And conception also does not happen in just a couple days, so.

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 01-03-2006).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trustless
Neophyte
Member # 19317

Yeah she does calculate,she said her last cycle started on the 10th and ended on the 14th actually she had sex on the 15th with the first and she ovulated on the 19th
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I ask how she charts: just mucus, or basal temps too? Because day 19 for ovulation that cycle would not actually fit the pattern. Based on the dates you gave me, if we're just using dates, it's most likely that her previous cycle -- on which one bases ovulation predictions for the next -- in July, would have had her ovulating on the 26th. That's a pretty significant difference in the next cycle, then, for ovulation to happen on the 19th, and that'd also make that August cycle 36 days long.

(Just to be clear: any one cycle begins with the first day of the menstrual period, and ends the day before the next menstrual period. So, in case all those dates you listed in your last post are to be for ONE month, and I'm misunderstanding the dates to mean over two months, that month's cycle could not have started on the 10th and ended on the 14th, as no menstrual cycle is four days long.)

But you know: this is ALL pretty academic. The only sound way she's gping to be able to establish paternity here is after the baby is born, with medical tests.

(Ot's also academic, but I can't help but wonder why someone who takes the time to chart would TWICE in a month take those pregnancy risks, too, especially if she DID have any interest in validating paternity.)

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trustless
Neophyte
Member # 19317

yeah its for one month which is august
and what i was saying was that her period started august 10th ended in august 14th and she had intercourse with her boyfriend on the next day which was the 15th. She says its about 23 days before her next period and she was most fertile on august 19 and she conceived on august 24th which was the day after her little one night stand, now when i say younger i don't mean she's in her teens, she's 21 and I'm 23.

[This message has been edited by trustless (edited 01-03-2006).]

Heather
Member # 3

Okay, then it's pretty clear either she's not charting -- as she doesn't even understand when a cycle starts and ends, and you have to to chart -- or you misunderstood her.

Because she could not have a cycle start the 10th and end the 14th. If her last period was on August 10th, that cycle would end, on average, around September 8th. Menstruation and then the whole of a monthly fertility cycle cannot, again, occur in a four-day time period.

trustless
Neophyte
Member # 19317

i edited the last message can you read it again miz scarlet?
Heather
Member # 3

I can, and that now makes much more sense. Thank you.

Again, this is academic: she can't accurately verify paternity for sure until after her child is born.

That said, especially if her doctor said conception was on the 24th, it isn't likely to be the second guy, because conception doesn't happen in one day, and her first risk would have happened right in the window of her most fertile time, if this pattern of menses and ovulation was typical for her.

Suffice it to say, though, blips happen, some women even ovulate twice in a cycle sometimes, and charting can only help us PREDICT ovulation, not verify it, so one can't say it was impossible. If she's having the child with her partner, and she hasn't already, it'd be both sage and kind for her to tell him about the other partner she had that month (especially since she had unprotected sex, meaning if she's still been with her partner since, she's put him at those risks and it is not okay not to inform a partner about things which can impact their own health profoundly).

trustless
Neophyte
Member # 19317

Well she did tell her boyfriend, just not that it was unprotected, but I'll encourage her because i'm really concerned and very protective of her

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.