Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Pregnancy and the Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy and the Pill
-A_Cure-
Neophyte
Member # 26321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -A_Cure-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This might seem like an odd question to ask but I'm curious to know (I think this topic goes here, sorry if it doesn't.)

If while having intercourse-sex while just using the Pill as protection and for some reason, it doesn't work, if you take your next pill the day after like usual ('cause you don't know that it hasn't worked) - what happens?

I understand people get pregnant while on the pill but I was wondering if taking the pill again like normal would affect the early pregnancie or even stop it all together?

Which leads me onto another question I'm curious about (better to ask then not ^_^), what is the difference in how it works betweent the everyday Pill and the Morning After Pill?

Thanks for your time =)

Posts: 8 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try to answer this the best I can:

The chances of getting pregnant on the pill aren't very good (if you take it correctly, you've get less than a one percent chance with most oral contraceptives). I've never heard of a pill just not working. Many times if someone gets pregnant while on the pill it is because they have taken it incorrectly, like missed their three hour window to take it, skipping pills, etc. However, manufacturers warn women not to take the pills if they are pregnant for the risk of birth defects.

EC (emergency contraception, AKA the "morning after" pill) and birth control are, in essence, the same thing. EC is just a much higher dose of hormones that what is in BC. You can actually use BC pills as emergency contraception if you know how many to take and don't have access to EC. However, not all brands are approved for use in an emergency.

[This message has been edited by JamsessionVT (edited 12-03-2005).]

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-A_Cure-
Neophyte
Member # 26321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -A_Cure-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your reply, much appriciated =)
Posts: 8 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.