Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » test again?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: test again?
wubbaa
Neophyte
Member # 25662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wubbaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello last month my boyfriend and i were having sex and i was wearing a diaphragm and he came in me but then i saw the diaphragm was lying on the bed when we were finished. it was my first time to use it and i dont think i got it in right because it didnt stick or anything when i put it in. anyway my cycles are irregular but last month my cycle was 33 days long so on the 40th day during this cycle i took a test just to be safe. it was negative and then later that night i had light spotting which lasted until the next afternoon then stopped. it is now day 44 of my cycle and still no period. i have another test that came in the box, should i take it? and if so, how long should i wait? thanks any advice will help

[This message has been edited by wubbaa (edited 11-16-2005).]

Posts: 19 | From: houston, tx, 77429 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd give it another few days, then take a test again.

Also, before you have intercourse again, practice putting your diaphragm in by yourself a handful of times. When it's in -- and sometimes it's easiest to get it in properly if you wait to insert it until you are very aroused and thus, your cervix has pulled back -- it should be pretty far back in, and you should only really be able to feel the dome with your fingers. It may also be helpful when practicing to get familiar with feeling where your pubic bone is, from the inside, as it needs to rest behind that.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BusyBee0517
Neophyte
Member # 26191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BusyBee0517     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct me if this is wrong but I remember back when I was in high school in sex ed. the teacher said if a girl is to use a diaghram(sp?)its a good idea to use spermicide with it. Now if I remember correcting spermicide kills sperm (but its not a reliable birth control by it self since it may not kill it all) and so if any sperm wiggle its way through the diaghram (which i believe can happen again correct me if its wrong) then the spermicide may kill it to prevent you from becoming pregnant.

and again correct me if this is wrong but isn't their still an STD risk using just a diaphram?

Posts: 9 | From: Youngstown, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I assumed she had, as it's a bit of a given. When you pick up a diaphragm from the pharmacy -- as they have to be prescribed -- or get one at a clinic, you're given spermicide, and spermicide is always included in the instructions.

With a diaphragm, spermicidal gel is placed inside the domed cup before insertion. But if the diaphragm wasn't in at all, or slipped out, the residual spermicide isn't likely to do much, as on its own, it's pretty ineffective.

And yes: STI risks still exist if condoms and other latex barriers are not used in tandem. They may be EVER so slightly decreased for some STIs (because the cervix is covered when used properly), but not in any substantial way.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wubbaa
Neophyte
Member # 25662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wubbaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not taken the test yet, I'm going to wait until the 48th day of my cycle. I was just wondering if there are other reasons to have spotting and no period like stress or lack of sleep or anything like that?

[This message has been edited by wubbaa (edited 11-17-2005).]

Posts: 19 | From: houston, tx, 77429 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you should just go ahead and take the test. if the last time you had sex was a month ago, the test will read accurately. the longer you wait, the fewer options you have to choose from in case you are pregnant. so please hurry and take the test.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wubbaa
Neophyte
Member # 25662

okay today was the 47th day and i took another test and it was negative. i am very relieved but concerned because i still have no period but i had definite brownish spotting last monday which was light and then went away. should i see a doctor? the test was absolutely for sure negative.
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
with a cycle as extended and irregular as yours, i'd have gone to see the doctor quite some time ago. go ahead and schedule an appointment.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.