Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » May be pregnant but what to do about my parents?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: May be pregnant but what to do about my parents?
CollegeChica1986
Neophyte
Member # 25960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CollegeChica1986     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might be pregnant. Me and my boyfriend have unprotected sex about a week ago and every day since and i have skipped my period although it may be too early to take the test (i have and it said negative but it was only about 5 days after having unprotected sex) anyways my parents are very oldfashioned and have said numerous times that they will kick me out if i became pregnant. Now I could move in with my boyfriend and his roommate but I just don't have the guts to move out because that means my parents will no longer pay for my college and ill probably have to drop out and i'm always worried about money because i want to provide my possible child with a good, comfortable life. I'm just really upset and it probably sounds like im just ranting but i don't know what to do!
Posts: 2 | From: Ohio | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You took the pregnancy test much too early. You need at least 10-14 days to get an accurate reading.

Unfortunatly, you are are out the window for emergency contraception. Your choices are to (if you are indeed pregnant) keep the baby, abortion, and adoption.

I understand this is hard, but unfortunatly we must all live with the decisions we make, good or bad.

I think you should wait until you get a reading, positive or negative, on another pregnancy test, taken 10-14 days after your risk. Then you cand decide whether or not to tell your parents. Personally? I would say something. You know your parents best, but this is true, you never know how they might react. They may be disappointed or angry, but chances are you will get their support, at the very least.

Hang in there

------------------
Help yourself by helping the world
It's a pretty good day, I'm looking for tomorrow; I had a pretty good day, yeah, I had a good day

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI? If you're not pregnant this time?

Don't choose to do something with consequences you know you don't want to live with, or aren't ready to.

For instance, if you know a pregnancy would mean needing to live independently and you are currently unable to do that or not ready, then don't have unprotected sex. if you know you can't afford a kid right now, don't do what one does to create one. If you know you want to finish college, don't screw yourself on purpose so you can't.

Unless your partner is assaulting you, it truly is that simple.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CollegeChica1986
Neophyte
Member # 25960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CollegeChica1986     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have always been against abortion so that is out for me. I took another pregnancy test which was probably too early but i'm just too anxious to find out and it was negative again yet i have several signs of pregnancy: boob hurts, no period, back ache, headache, dizziness. I know that in my area that I can apply for help such as WIC which would give me money to purchase food for my baby.
the thing is a part of me really hopes im pregnant and my boyfriend really really hopes i'm pregnant.

Posts: 2 | From: Ohio | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would not have later pregnancy symptoms like breast tenderness this early. The symptoms you are describing are typical premenstrual symptoms, and in addition, it's not atypical for pregnancy worries to create false pregnancy symptoms in women: our minds and bodies are linked to an incredible degree.

Stop taking tests until they can actually be accurate: you're just tossigng money away now.

I sincerely hope that you and your partner can have a talk soon about actual preparation for pregnancy, about actual parenting of a very real child, and all the practical aspects of it. Your boyfriend "really, really" hopes you're pregnant and clearly is contributing to you becoming so, but is he really, really ready to be a father? To pay the bills (and that's not merely food: any idea what the healthcare costs for a pregnancy, childbirth and then a child's first few years are? It's staggering. Plus, if you've got parents paying for your schooling, chances are good that as a financial dependent of parents with that kind of resources, you may not even be eligible for things like WIC)? To have his whole life change? To commit to parenting for the rest of his life? Things like WIC are last-ditch plans, or they sure should be: WIC is intended for people who truly have no resources and less choices than you do.

If you had this intercourse right when your period was expected -- which I presume you did, since you're saying it's late at this point -- then, on average, it's unlikely conception occurred. Not impossible, but unlikely.

But even if it didn't happen, I really hope you two can have a serious talk before you take more risks. Because, after all, if you're saying you're ready to be parents, you've got an awful lot of serious talks ahead of you.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.