Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Questions
i_love_my_vagina
Neophyte
Member # 25871

Icon 1 posted      Profile for i_love_my_vagina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started taking Ortho Tri Cyclen this cycle. During this time I have not had perfect use, but more like typical use. I try to take my pills every day at 6pm, but there are some days when I take it like 8pm and other have been 2 days when where I have forgotten to take them. Unfortunately I didn't take 2 the next day (I didn't realise I that until today when I searched google). My boyfriend and I are in a monogamous relationship where STDs/STIs are not an issue, but planned on using condoms for the first 2-3 months until I got consistent with the birth control pills. Unfortunately there have been a few occasions where we have gotten "caught up in the moment" and had unprotected sex. Thank goodness we are both STD/STI free, but pregnancy is still a BIG worry for me right now. What are chances of pregnancy? How soon should I take a test? If not pregnant when should I get my period - when I take the placebo pills or when my period will usually come (I started taking the pill on the 6th of my cycle on the Sunday)?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Posts: 8 | From: toronto | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
i_love_my_vagina
Neophyte
Member # 25871

Icon 1 posted      Profile for i_love_my_vagina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I am still on the first pack.
Posts: 8 | From: toronto | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have had a risk of pregnancy, yes. You can take a pregnancy test 10-14 days from your last pregnancy risk and get an accurate result. If it comes up negative and your period doesn't come, you can take another test 7 days later to double check.

Because you've had such inconsistancy with the pills, it's hard to say exactly when your period will come. It may come during your placebo week, it may come early, it may come late, it may not come at all. Do note that this can happen even if you had been taking the pills correctly, because it will take your body awhile to get used to the hormones in the pills, moreso if you're not taking them consistantly.

Since you've had this much trouble taking the pills, you may want to consider if the pills is the right thing for you. It may work better with your shcedule and lifestyle to try out the patch or nuvaring, instead, since those you change after longer intervals of time and don't need to worry about taking at the same time every day.

If you want to stick it out on the pills, think about maybe setting a watch or phone alarm to take the pills by, so it goes off everyday to remind you you need to take it.

Also, it may be good to set some boundaries with your boyfriend. I understand that in the heat of things things can happen, but that's really not a good excuse when it comes to your wellbeing. Either make sure well ahead of time that if you think you'll be in a situation where you'll want to have sex you have condoms and condom-safe lubricant available near you, or just don't put yourself in those situations. Having sex IS a concious decision, but I'm sure you realize that so sorry to be lecturing

Again, your best option now is to take the pregnancy test 10-14 days from your last risk.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kindascared     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am i right in assuming that the only reason that she had a risk was that she was on her first pack? Please correct me if i am wrong. If she had finished her first pack and had been on them, say a year, and used them in the typical use manner that she was describing, would there still have been a risk? Thanks for taking the time out to reply!

Posts: 127 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not exactly...

It's somehwat difficult to answer your question, because while yes, being on a first pack will increase your risk ANYWAY (since the pills' may not have their full effectiveness, even with proper use), missing and being late on more than one pill in a pack can increase the risk that the pills won't be effective at ANY time, even if you've been taking birth control for years.

It is true that when it has built up in your system, some women do not ovulate even after going off the pills for a month or two, but that isn't the case for everyone and can't be something to be relied upon.

So, because of the indivual reactions and circumstances we have in our own bodies, it's impossible to say if the risk is any greater or less, but it's definitely the safest thing to assume that if you do not take your pills correctly (most pill prescriptions say you're fine if you miss or are late on JUST one pill) you have had a risk.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kindascared     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dailicious:

missing and being late on more than one pill in a pack can increase the risk that the pills won't be effective at ANY time,

Im so sorry to be bugging yall with my questions again, but as it says previously missing and being late on MORE than one pill. Does this mean that missing or taking one pill late relly wont reduce the effectiveness or will it? Sorry, just kinda confused!

Posts: 127 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Most of the time, no. It can really depends prescription to prescription, which is why it's good to read the information that comes with the pills. For most pills, if you miss or are late on only one pill, as long as you take the pill as soon as you notice (or with your next day's pill, if it's not until then) it's fine. The pill information will say something like:

What to do if You've missed a pill:
If you have missed ONE pill, take that pill now and take your next at its normal time. You will not need to use a backup method at this time.

For missing or being late on more than one pill, however, it usually does recomend to use a backup method.

Sorry to be unclear on that.

i_love_my_vagina
Neophyte
Member # 25871

If I am not pregnant, I am definitely going on Depo. I was kinda turned off from it because of the all the hype about loss of bone density, but I think I'll just drink an extra glass of milk.

Thanks for the other info. I will take a pregnancy test 10 days after risk and probally another one 2-3 days after.

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Be sure you talk about Depo very, very thoroughly with your gynecologist before starting it. Dealing with the possibility of bone loss is NOT as easy as just drinking an extra glass of milk, plus it can have some nasty long-term side effects that you can't go back on until after the period the shot lasts is done. That said, it does work for some women, but for others it doesn't (I personally am just skeptical about it in general, so I'm bringing some bias), just be sure you go over it again.
i_love_my_vagina
Neophyte
Member # 25871

Well I didn't literally mean drink another glass of milk, but just meant being more watchful of my calcium instake.

Why do you have a bias against depo? Is this from personal experiences of yourself, parter, or friends/family [sorry didn't check your gender/sex] or based on medical studies? What is your opinion the the monthly shot that is similar to depo?

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm biased against DP as well. I've read entirely too many studies that have shown DP to have some unpleasant side effects. I'm especially worried about the calcium problem since too many young women are already deficient in calcium (too much Coca Cola, not nearly enough broccoli or milk). My best friend in grade school became an aunt because her sister's DP failed -- she was 7 months along when she found out she was pregnant, meaning she had already received 2 shots since conceiving. Another friend also got pregnant while on DP and said she hated the constant bleeding she had as a side effect. I've not been on DP; i take pills instead.

Anyway, Lunelle differs slightly from DP in that the injection also includes an estrogen. I don' think bone loss studies have bene done on Lunelle. But hey, if you're not into stick yourself with needles and want monthly protection against pregnancy (but not STDs -- gotta get condoms for that), have you considered NuvaRing? It's insertable and it works like birth control pills. you replace it every month. And you don't have to get stuck with a needle! That means fewer doctor visits.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
i_love_my_vagina
Neophyte
Member # 25871

I think I'd rather be stuck with a needle!

Does the ring need to be fitted like the cap and diaphram [is that even spell that right] ?

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

I don't believe it is, because it's made of a flexible material and is a one-size-fits-all thing.

The reason methods like the diapraghm need to be fitted is because it's designed to cover the cervix, so it dOES need to have specific demensions. The Nuvaring just administers the hormones, it doesn't need to specifically fit or cover anything.

I'm against Depo for similar reasons as Gummy; the side effects associated with it make me far too wary. (Let me tell you as well that because you were only on your first month of hormonal birth control, you don't know how your body might have reacted to the hormones and what side effects you could have gotten. Depo has the same/similar/plus some side effects of the pill/patch/ring but more like ten-fold because of the kind of dose you get of it to last the three months. If you were to have any really negative siode effects you'd be stuck with them for a few months, and especially if you don't know how your body would react to lower levels of similar hormones like on the pill, I don't think it's necessarily a wise idea to jump straight into the shot)

Again, I am biased about my own doubts and what I want going into my body. I have never in my going on about three years of pill use (one for medical reasons, almost two for medical reasons plus birth control) had trouble with taking the pill, which also makes a difference.

So, the shot may be right for you, but again, really talk everything over with your doctor, and take concern with the calcium that instead of drinking things that may be sucking calcium away from you, to be able to mold your diet that it won't be a concern (ie. cut out sodas, think about a calcium supplement- the Viactive ones that are about now are actually pretty good)

Just be sure you go over all your options, and don't focus on Depo because of any convenience factor, since the other monthly methods (like the ring, or weekly like the patch) still offer more convenience than the pill but aren't so long term or serious.

As point of reference before you speak with your gynecologist as well:

NuvaRing Site
Ortho Evra (The Patch) Site
Depo-Provera Site

So you can research and compare on your own.

[This message has been edited by dailicious (edited 10-24-2005).]

i_love_my_vagina
Neophyte
Member # 25871

I took a test and it was negative. I am on the 6th day of sugar pills, and have not yet menstruated. However on Wednesday when I spotted. It was not enough blood to necessitate a pantyliner; it just was something that you only noticed when wiping yourself after using the toilet. Today (Friday) I had a little more spotting, but still not enough to necessiate the use a pantyliner. What's up with the spotting? Is that a side Effect of BC OTC?
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

It's hard to say exactly, because different people experience different things on the pills.

It IS possible, especially in the first month or two of starting hormonal birth control to have wonkiness with your withdrawl bleeds and experience side effects that may or may not stick around.

It could be that this very mild spotting is just what you're experiencing this month with your body getting used to the pills, again, hard to say what's exactly going on, we can only speculate.

You can take a second pregnancy test to double check a week after you took the last one, but if it came up negative it's probably pretty safe to say you're not pregnant.

i_love_my_vagina
Neophyte
Member # 25871

I started the second pack today even though I didn't get a period.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.