Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » i am not sure if im pregnant

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: i am not sure if im pregnant
da_cheerleader
Neophyte
Member # 25844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for da_cheerleader     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
since the last time i had sex with my bf. i was late about a week but i still got my period only it was less than usual.after that i havent gotten my period and its been about 7 weeks, and i usually get my period evry two weeks so i am worried.please help. can i be pregnant?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be possible; you didn't really give enough details to assess your situation beyond that.

You should take a pregnancy test now. If it comes up negative and you don't get your period, take another a week after to double check.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
da_cheerleader
Neophyte
Member # 25844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for da_cheerleader     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the help. well ive also been having more cravings and been feeling dizzy.im worried because i also work out alot like running and doing weights. after i started working out(which was a week after i had sex and by the way it was unprotected ) i got nausea and threw up like 3 times.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Signs of pregnancy will not show up just a week after a pregnancy risk. The nausea and throwing up were probably either caused because your body wasn't used to work you had given it and that you hadn't had enough water to drink, or could be that combined with a stomach bug, or a number of other things.

The dizziness, too, is much more likely dehydration, especially if you're exercising and not drinking enough water or eating enough during the day to compensate for what you're burning and losing.

Food cravings would not show up this early in a pregnancy either, and is likely just your body responding to something else, like the exercise.

If you take a pregnancy test and it does come up positive, then you can start thinking more about physical symptoms beign related to pregnancy, but until then, they're related to too many other things to be assigned to a pregnancy worry.

Also, please note that because you've had unprotected sex, you and your boyfriend have also had a substantial STI risk, and should both think about getting a full STI screenning. This applies to anyone (even if you were both virigins/not with anyone else before) unless you have both had TWO full STI screenings, 6 months apart, and have been in a monogomous relationship during that time.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
da_cheerleader
Neophyte
Member # 25844

so if i take a pregnany test and it comes out negative i have no risk.right? and if comes out positive its probably a mistake, right?
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

No, take a pregnancy test, if it comes out negative, you'll need to test again a week later to dojuble check, if you haven't gotten your period by that time. If the second test comes back negative, you're probably fine.

If it comes out positive, it probably means you're pregnant, you'll need to go to a doctor to confirm the test and talk about your options then. It is very, very rare to have a false positive on a pregnancy test.

da_cheerleader
Neophyte
Member # 25844

thanks again but if it comes that im not pregnant why i havent i gotten my period for over 7 weeks?
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

There could be a number of reasons. You may just be skipping a month, which can happen, or other outside or internal factors could be causing it not to come.

You may want to schedual an appointment with your gynecologist, whether or not the test comes up positive, to speak with them about why your period may have not come, in case it is being caused by something you should be concerned about.

Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
The are many non pregnancy reasons for a missed period. Here are some:

MIA or Dude, Where's My Period?

------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
da_cheerleader
Neophyte
Member # 25844

thank u once again, i read that link. so is it ok if i havent gooten my period for about 7 weeks when i usually get every 2 weeks?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every two weeks is actually a VERY short cycle.

Have you ever had a basic gynecological exam and workup? If not, it's past time for that. You're also sexualy active, which makes it even more essential.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
da_cheerleader
Neophyte
Member # 25844

ive never been to the gyno so whats a workup?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here: Your First Gynecologist Visit.

You just need a basic pelivic exam, pap smear and a full STI screening. You'll also just want to be sure that you report the menstrual issues, and if you can, it'd be very helpful to your GYN if you could write down all the dates on which you did menstruate recently, as far back as you can.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.