Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Am I pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I pregnant?
TerriN
Neophyte
Member # 25827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerriN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am on a very low dose birth control pill which my doctor said I HAVE to take at the exact same time daily because a few hours late of taking them can make me prone to pregnancy. I took a trip to see my boyfriend and there is a 2 hour time difference which I didn't consider while taking my pills. Two weeks after the fact it dawned on me and I took a pregnancy test ( which I just found out doesn't register until 150hcg) but it came up very very faint +. So I immediately took the second test and it came up negative. Two days later I started my period on time due to pills but it is lighter and spotty at times (very unusual for me the heavy bleeder). Can I be pregnant? Should I retest after I stop bleeding?
Posts: 4 | From: Herrin IL USA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The very faint positive does send up flags, since it's very very rare to have a false positive, but because you cannot have anything like a real period while you're pregnant, that would show that you probably have nothing to worry about. However, the spottiness of this period may be enough reason to merit taking another test.

So, yes, I'd recomend you take another test, just to be sure. If it does come out positive, stop taking the birth control pills and see a doctor about your options. but for now, continue things as normal and continue things as normal afterward if the result comes up negative.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerriN
Neophyte
Member # 25827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerriN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dailicious:
The very faint positive does send up flags, since it's very very rare to have a false positive, but because you cannot have anything like a real period while you're pregnant, that would show that you probably have nothing to worry about. However, the spottiness of this period may be enough reason to merit taking another test.

So, yes, I'd recomend you take another test, just to be sure. If it does come out positive, stop taking the birth control pills and see a doctor about your options. but for now, continue things as normal and continue things as normal afterward if the result comes up negative.

Thanks for the response...should I take a test immediately after the spotting stops or wait a few days?

Posts: 4 | From: Herrin IL USA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It actually wouldn't matter if you took it now; having spotting will not affect the results of a pregnancy test (Though, if it is a period/withdrawl bleed, you're not pregnant, anyway). So it's really up to you. When taking a second test it's usually recomended to wait until a week from the first test, so you may wait until at least then.
Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.