Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » motgomerys tubercules.....??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: motgomerys tubercules.....??
sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sheryll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a question for my friend and later for my refrence, when you have those white bumps, where exactly are they? scattered around the nipple area or are they scattered on the nipple area? thanks for replying, if you have the answer.
Posts: 70 | From: MA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Montgomery's tubercles (or glands of Montgomery), which are the little, sometimes whiteish bumps surrounding the nipple on your areola (the areola is the darkened area of your brest surrounding the nipple), are glands which produce a sort of lubricating oil that can aid breastfeeding. The lubrication is also believed to be a protective substance which discourages bacterial growth and keeps the areola healthy. When a woman is pregnant, these glands can enlarge and will remain enlarged through breastfeeding.

[This message has been edited by dailicious (edited 08-30-2005).]

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sheryll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can they be enlarged if you arent pregnant?
Posts: 70 | From: MA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly. They could appear enlarged for many reasons ...

Not only is it too early for you to be noticing signs and symptoms from a pregnancy from the dates given in your last post, but this really isn't the sign you want to be looking for. When its time (10-14 days after the risk, or the first day of a missed period) to take a test, this will be your best and most accurate indicator as to whether you're pregnant or not. Other than that, you'll drive yourself nuts looking at everything else that could possibly be changing.

[This message has been edited by LilBlueSmurf (edited 08-30-2005).]

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

do you know some reasons?
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you worried about this because these really seem enlarged to you? Do they look different than they have before, or are you just now noticing what they look like because you now know what they are and what function they serve?

I'm not trying to be rude asking that, I'm just curious as to why you're looking so deeply into this.

If you really want to know why these glands are enlarged on you (or your friend on her, if she isn't pregnant/breastfeeding), if they are, you need to speak with a doctor. Even if we did list other reasons (I personally don't know of any to give you) that wouldn't do much good; ONLY a doctor can tell you what could be causing this gland enlargement in ways that will apply to you and figure out if you do have any of those causes.

[This message has been edited by dailicious (edited 08-30-2005).]

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.