Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » potty training

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: potty training
Avrie_44
Activist
Member # 10881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avrie_44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello, my niece who is 2 years old and 3 months has had not real perental guidence and i would like to potty train her, is she at the right age? and how would i go about it. she does not pay attention very well, or listen well either. we are trying to teach her manners and being nice. is this typical behaviour for a 2 year old? can you help me out with the potty training.

thanks

Posts: 98 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thing is, toilet training can't often be done well part-time or by more than one person handling it more than one way: in other words, it has to be constant and consistent.

Is she with you full-time, night and day?

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avrie_44
Activist
Member # 10881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avrie_44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes she is with me full time day and night and she also chews her bottle nipples and breaks them and it is getting costly buy new ones every so ofter. what shoudl i do?
Posts: 98 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per the bottle, might be time to start weaning her off of it at her age. As well, some of why she is breaking the nipples with her teeth might be to provide some relief from teething pain. I'd ask her pediatrician about this, but i'd also consider ditching the bottle habit: it's bad for her teeth anyway.

In terms of toilet training, has SHE yet made clear any interest in it? Usually, it's going to work when she herself seems interested: that's often how you know when the age is right. To get her interested, some things that can be helpful are reading children's books to her about using the toilet, talking about it in common conversation, asking every now and then if she wants to try (just let her sit on it when she wants to, rather than trying to get her to urinate or defecate), purchasing "big girl" underpants for her to wear, even just to try them on and see how it feels, explaining what they're for, etc.

Questions like this really are best asked of her pediatrician: do you have one for her you can talk to and ask questions of comfortably?

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MadLittleGirl
Neophyte
Member # 25213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MadLittleGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now is a good time to potty train and She should of been off the bottle at age 1. Drinking from the bottle after age 1 can cause tooth problems and in some cases speach problems. I am a mother so you can trust me.

------------------
As you get older life gets harder

Posts: 22 | From: Somewhere in Tx | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.