Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Pregnancy and me, I guess

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy and me, I guess
bubblewrap
Neophyte
Member # 24195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bubblewrap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. So I have this problem. I know you guys get influxes of girls asking you the same thing, and yeah, I fell victim to the "nope, it's never going to happen to me" excuse.

Two weeks ago, when I'm pretty sure I was at my most fertile, my boyfriend and I had sex. We used a condom, but there was occasional genital-to-genital contact without it (he never went in, but there was spooning, etc.) I know, I know, I should have used a condom for those too, but I didn't. I know my risk is relatively low (though not impossible) for becoming pregnant, but my tummy's being feeling a little...different. I don't know how to explain it exactly. Anyway, I was due for my period around this time and it hasn't come yet. I don't know for sure, but I'm leaning towards the fact that yes, I may be pregnant.

I know I need to see a doctor, etc. I want to see a doctor. I know my decision, even though it really hurts my heart. I want to get an abortion if I'm pregnant. I'm not at a period in my life where I'm ready or capable to have a baby (I'm only 17), and with college apps, senior year, and an influx of just youth, I can't picture my life with a baby. Not to mention that (and I swear, this is not a dramatization) I would be kicked out of my house should I get pregnant.

So yes. I know I want to have an abortion. I'm not sure how I'll pay for it because I don't have a job but I want to figure that out. My boyfriend has a job and I'm sure he can help. I know I know - if you can't deal with the consequences of sex, don't have it. But I'm seventeen and I'm making mistakes as I go along here.

So I know I can have an abortion without my parents knowing about it (I'm in California) and I plan on talking to my boyfriend about it soon - I'm just going to wait out one more day for my period. I just want to know about facilities near where I live - I'm on the Peninsula, in the Bay Area. I can't seem to find a comprehensive list online and I just...don't know where to go. I would really appreciate someone helping me out with that - the only Planned Parenthood I know of apparently only deals in birth control and not...well...not the aftermath of it failing.

I also just want to know what abortion entails at this stage, if in fact, as I fear, I am pregnant. Is it surgical? How will I feel? What kind of medications will I need? Cost?

I also just want someone to talk to, I guess. I know I sound pretty rational on here, but honestly, I've been up at nights crying about this. It's not an easy decision that I'm making here, but one I know I have to make.

So basically that's it. Where do I go, what's it like, can I talk to anyone?

I feel like I'm going to explode from the worry and I haven't talked to anyone I know yet. I'm afraid to. I don't want to be judged. So it's bubbling up inside of me and I feel close to tears all the time. I can't think about anything else.

Help?

Posts: 5 | From: Palo Alto, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, you are stressing yourself out WAY prematurely, and for no good reason.

Your period is due and late. So you go take a pregnancy test.

If the result is positive, THEN you think about this.

But if not, all of this stress and worry and freakout and panic is for naught. And from what you subscribed, your chances of pregnancy are actually not high. So just go take the test first.

(Though, perhaps obviously, thinking about what you would do, being prepared more in adavance, and taking better precautions is still a good idea.)

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage ST blog about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bubblewrap
Neophyte
Member # 24195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bubblewrap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know, I just stress out, what can I say? :-)

I don't know why, my period's been late before when I've had sex, but this time something feels off. Different. I don't quite know what it is, but I'm afraid it's one of THOSE feelings that you get... yeah.

I'm gonna take a test or visit a Planned Parenthood or something to see as soon as I can (I have no money and no car so it's kind of tough for me) but that's the plan.

I guess this just got me thinking about what I'm going to do. And now I just can't stop thinking about it.

Posts: 5 | From: Palo Alto, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your boyfriend, then, can surely float you $10 and pick up a test at ANY pharmacy or supermarket and bring it to you, eh?

Seriously: don't put it off, in the interest of your mental health, if nothing else.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bubblewrap
Neophyte
Member # 24195

Sure he can, but he lives about an hour away and he doesn't drive either, so I have to take the train down to see him. I plan on at least talking it through with him tomorrow. Even if it's just in a "if it is true, or even if it isn't and this were to happen, what would we do?"

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.