Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » earliest i can tell

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: earliest i can tell
wolf_on_wings
Neophyte
Member # 24242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wolf_on_wings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm trying to get pregnant so my best guy friend and i decided to have sex the other night. we had sex a few times that night. now i'm just waiting to see if it worked. when is the soonest that i can take a test?

------------------
Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you're not.

Posts: 2 | From: Chatsworth,Ga USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually a home pregnancy test can accurately detect pregnancy hormones about two weeks after unprotected intercourse. You could also wait until after you miss a period.

Generally speaking, it takes many women quite awhile to get pregnant. That's not to say that you can't get pregnant on the first try, you can, but there are so many factors that it might not happen right away.

It's probably a good idea to talk to your OB/GYN now that you're trying for a baby. He or she can make sure you're in prime baby-carrying shape, advise you to what can keep you healthy, etc.

Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We tell people around here that they can test 10 days after the last risk or the first day of their missed period.

I also wanted to second the excellent advice from gubblebum up above ... It's strongly recommended that women see their physician/midwife for a checkup BEFORE they start trying to concieve. Not only does this allow for you to make sure you're in good health, but it allows you to build a relationship with your health care provider early.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by wolf_on_wings:
i'm trying to get pregnant so my best guy friend and i decided to have sex the other night

Are you currently in a relationship and trying to get pregnant, or are you on your own and doing so?

I ask because single mothers often have a hard time taking care of their babies if they don't have support elsewhere, (like the father...I don't mean in anyway to be accusitory, since you've only posted once we don't know the whole story, so if you could just clear that up)

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wolf_on_wings
Neophyte
Member # 24242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wolf_on_wings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in a relationship with another female. Blake said that he will be around to help if I do end up pregnant.
But the thing is that I started my period today and I'm unsure as what to think. I started throwing up today when i haven't been sick at all. I came home from a fireworks show and just started throwing up. so my options are still open.

------------------
Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you're not.

Posts: 2 | From: Chatsworth,Ga USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you started your period, you would not be pregnant at the moment.

Throwing up isn't really a sign of anything, something you had eaten could have suddenly disagreed with you, or any other number of reasons.

Like has been said in the topic already, both you and he (especially you) should receive full physicals to make sure you're ready and healthy to be having a baby right now. This means you should also see a gynecologist so you can get a full pelvic exam as well. Also, you'll be able to talk to a doctor or your gyencologist about possibly using a fertility awareness method of charting your cervical mucus and basal temperature to try and calculate when you're most fertile/when you're ovulating. Couples have used this method sucessfully to conceive within less than two months. So talk to your doctor and make sure you're in good health and can have the best chances of becoming pregnant.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.