Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Yet Another 'Am I Pregnant?!' thread....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yet Another 'Am I Pregnant?!' thread....
Sedi Tlugvi
Activist
Member # 21797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sedi Tlugvi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know the best thing to do would be purchasing a home pregnancy test, but do you think you could say how much my risk is?

So, I''m on the pill and have just finished by active pills last Saturday. Sunday I began my placebo pills. It's been four days and I haven't gotten my period yet. My mother says I shouldn't worry unless I don't get it by this coming Sunday. Is this true?

When having sex my boyfriend and I are very careful and use condoms each and everytime. Usually we pair this with the pull out method so that he doesn't actually cum inside me, but rather in the condom outside of me. After reading that condoms were meant to be ejaculated into and that pulling out may acually increase the risk of breakage, I asked him not to pull out this time. However, when we looked at the condom, it seemed that his semen had leaked out of the top of the condom. I thought it may just be my own vaginal lubricant, though.

So, if his semen did happen to leak and find its way, would the birthcontrol have prevented any fertilization to occur?

By the way, I take my pills pretty regularly. Usually, I take them around 5 or 5:30 pm. Several times, though, I've taken them around 9:00 pm. Would this effect anything??

Thanks everyone for your responses =P

Posts: 75 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We suggest condom use if you're using hormonal birth control because hormonal birth control does not protect against STDs. So while your pregnancy risk with a condom failure is low if you're taking hormonal birth control, your STD risk is high.

The window of time in which you should be taking your pill depends on the type of pills; progestin-only minipills need to be taken at the same time every day, while combination pills (such as OrthoTriCyclen) allow a three-hour window. Make an effort to take your pill close to the same time every day so it can work properly.

Go ahead and take a pregnancy test if you haven't started your period; it won't hurt to know for sure.

For reference:
http://scarleteen.com/reproduction/preg_risk.html
http://scarleteen.com/infection/risk_1.html

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Semen doesn't just leak out of a condom. You are on the pill. The likelihood of you becoming pregnant while using a condom AND the pill is practically nil, even if the condom had broken. The point of birth control is to keep you from becoming pregnant even WITHOUT a condom. I don't think you should worry much.
Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sedi Tlugvi
Activist
Member # 21797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sedi Tlugvi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We suggest condom use if you're using hormonal birth control because hormonal birth control does not protect against STDs.

And, as I've said, we make sure to use condoms during vaginal intervourse.

Semen doesn't just leak out of a condom.

I don't see why not. If my boyfriend wasn't full erect, yet had a condom full of semen still in me, isn't it possable that the condom could have leaked some from the opening?

The likelihood of you becoming pregnant while using a condom AND the pill is practically nil, even if the condom had broken

Those were my first thoughts--but recall that I said that I thought we may have some condom mishaps plus I may not have been taking my birth control correctly.

progestin-only minipills need to be taken at the same time every day, while combination pills (such as OrthoTriCyclen) allow a three-hour window.

Thanks for the info =)

[This message has been edited by Rally (edited 07-01-2005).]

Posts: 75 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sedi Tlugvi
Activist
Member # 21797

(delete)

[This message has been edited by Rally (edited 07-01-2005).]

ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aria51:
The window of time in which you should be taking your pill depends on the type of pills; progestin-only minipills need to be taken at the same time every day, while combination pills (such as OrthoTriCyclen) allow a three-hour window. Make an effort to take your pill close to the same time every day so it can work properly.

This alarms me because I've been taking the mini-pill for over a year now, and on both brands I've taken (Cerazette and Noriday), the leaflet said that if the late pill was taken within three hours of normal time, you were still protected.

Is this just because things are different in the US than they are in the UK, or should mini-pills be considered ineffective if taken within three hours, but not on time?

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.