Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Allison Crews

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Allison Crews
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After just referring a new user to Girl-Mom, I just read some tremendously sad news.

Allison Crews, who some older users may remember from here as mamaalli, and who has run Girl-Mom for almost five years, died this week.

I have, in more than one interview over the years when asked about very young activists, mentioned Alli, because she was a really amazing young woman who accomplished an incredible number of things to really help others, not in spite of, but through the challenge of being a young, teen mother.

I am shocked and I am very deeply saddened at the loss of someone so politically active, so bright, and so caring for so many, despite her young age and her limitations. Losing young women like Allison is a very profound loss for everyone.

I am also doubly saddened for all of the extra strain, stress and stigma still put on teen single mothers, for how much isolation they can suffer, and for the lack of support systems we have out there for young women like Alli and every other young woman she helped.

Short information is here: http://www.girl-mom.com/node/127

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage ST blog about Heather & Scarleteen

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 08-11-2005).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~jess~
Activist
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~jess~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ive known since it happened from livejournal. I met Alli via GM. I was a curious 13 yr old reading a YM magazine saw the picture of her and Cade. I went to GM onced and joined. being 13 I was so uneducated about things. I eventuallt got kicked out, I was accused of being raciest but I didnt belong, I dont have kids. I have always admired Alli even though im sure she didnt like me.

I feel so bad for Cade. Ive read things on her funeral and it saddens me. I feel bad for her wife, Julie, I cant even imagin what shes going though, loosing the love of her life, and a step son. Why did Alli have to do this? She didnt mean to. she loved Cade so much. she loved Julie and Dylan. their love for eachother was so beatiful.

she was so strong. she'll be missed. a lot.

------------------
my bucket of tears

Posts: 278 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh that's terrible! i remember mamaalli quite well. she always had something great and interesting to say. i wished she would have been a mod here. i'm sorry things turned out the way they did for her, and i feel especially sorry for her child who will have to grow up without a mommy. best wishes and condolences to her family.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nephthys
Neophyte
Member # 24128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nephthys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She made such a huge difference in the lives of so many people. It was so sad to hear about this. I am a member of the girl-mom forums (a kidless ally) and it's such a wonderful website and wonderful community for all women. They are very good about protecting women who have had abortions from any ridicule or judgment, and a place like that is hard to find. Mrs.Crews was a big inspiration to me, and I have had her family and her partner Julie in my thoughts.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jewelgirl1
Neophyte
Member # 24178

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jewelgirl1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's an incredibly terrible tragedy. I found out about her through Sheroes (www.sheroescentral.com, a board I frequent-it's how I found out about Scarleteen) and then read many of her essays at Girl-Mom. She seems so amazing, and helpful, and determined to help other young women. Although I never got to talk to her on Girl-Mom, here, or anywhere else, I'm still inspired by her.
Posts: 23 | From: Falls Church, VA, United States | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humwichawa
Neophyte
Member # 24406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humwichawa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything said here is true, except for one thing: it isn't known yet if Alli killed herself. The cause of her death is under investigation.

It's hard to believe that she would have left her partner and sons on purpose.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xmariex
Neophyte
Member # 24856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xmariex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
alli's death was casued by a seizure induced by wellbutrin per the coroner's report. information about this can be found at ariel gore's website, www.arielgore.com

Posts: 1 | From: rva | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for keeping us posted, marie.
Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.