Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » sickness..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sickness..
missxworldx
Neophyte
Member # 21364

Icon 5 posted      Profile for missxworldx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone..I was just wondering about the whole "morning" sickness thing.
I've been pregnant twice and both times I had it terminated. Both times i was pregnant, I got unbearably sick. I've posted about this and described it before I think, I was so sick I really couldnt get off the couch for more than a week before my abortion, both times. My stomache was empty, i started throwing up bile and The last time i was pregnant (i had the abortion a week ago today) I started losing weight.
This makes me really sad because i DO want to give birth to a child in the future. I'm just not sure if I can handle being sick like that again. I know that just beucase you were sick during one pregnancy doesn't mean you'll be sick during the next, but both times i was pregnant i was completely miserable. I am still pretty young, i've just turned eighteen.. So I'm just wondering that maybe younger people have more trouble dealing with the sickness than older ones? Or if, when i decide to try and get pregnant if there's anything i can do, any changes i can make in my diet to make it a little easier? I spoke with my doctor once while i was pregnant and i asked her if there was anything i could do to help with the sickness and she said there isn't realy a whole lot..and that it usually goes away after the first twelve weeks. I'm just not sure if i can handle being sick for that long. So i was just wondering if anyone has any kind of suggestions?

Posts: 11 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there are quite a few things, really, and they're pretty simple.

Above and beyond anything else, being as healthy as you can be before a pregnancy is really important. So, eating well, and eating a truly healthy diet is helpful (read: mostly fresh-vegetable and fruit based, low on the dairy and processed/friend foods, light on meats, salt, sodas, with plenty of easily digestible proteins, and lots of water). Being in -- and staying in -- good physical shape is helpful. Having enough rest, also very helpful. Making sure in advance that you are in sound reproductive health -- yearly pelvic exams, full STI screenings -- is also a helper.

Stress is also a big deal: it's possible that some of what you went through was due to the stress of being pregnant, especially if those pregnancies were unplanned or unwanted, and/or the idea f termination was stressful to you. Additionally, if, for instance, the pregnancies you had were ectopic, you had any other infections at the time, etc. the sickness is bound to be worse.

Morning sickness doesn't tend to be skewed to occur more greatly in younger women. But yes, it can occur for many weeks, and there's just no predicting that. And through a normal pregnancy, there are going to be a lot of times when you just do not feel good at all, when you're exhuasted, when you're gassy and bloated, a whole number of issues. So, that's something you'll just have to look at.

Of course, most women will tell you in retrospect that being pregnant posed a lot less challenges than labor and parenting, so.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage ST blog about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SweetHypnotiq
Neophyte
Member # 23568

Icon 8 posted      Profile for SweetHypnotiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
{Edited: Scarleteen is a pro-choice site. Our aim is to be supportive of people's choices. While it is fine to encourage responsibility (certainly we try to encourage sexual responsibility at ALL times), it is not fine to ridicule other people's choices. We do not know the circumstances surrounding other people's choices, and even if we did, it is not our place to judge. Please keep the guidelines of the site in mind and be mindful of other people's feelings when posting. It's fine to talk about your experiences, just please try to be kind and mindful. Thanks.}

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 05-25-2005).]

Posts: 9 | From: Baldwin Park, Ca, U.S | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hot4nerds
Neophyte
Member # 19419

Icon 10 posted      Profile for hot4nerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you do feel that ill went pregnant, perhaps it was a good thing you terminated the pregnancies. Not to criticize or shake a finger at you in telling your wrong for doing so, because I don't know your personal information on forms of birth control and I'm all for choice, but if you have been using a form of contraception and it's failed resulting in the pregnancies perhaps you should invest in a second form (like the pill, patch, shots, etc, etc) so you won't have to go through it again until you're ready to have children.

[This message has been edited by hot4nerds (edited 05-25-2005).]

Posts: 38 | From: Albany, Ny | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 10 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should talk with your doctor when you decide become pregnant again. There are a number of pregnancy-related health problems that can cause that sort of sickness, like gestational diabetes or pre-eclampsia that can be treated if diagnosed right away, or you might have certain other risk factors causing such extreme sickness. So just be sure to speak with your doctor BEFORE you plan another pregnancy to discuss the risks and what you can do to remain healthy.
Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kittylove
Neophyte
Member # 23909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kittylove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was pregnant with my son I was soooo sick. I lost a lot of weight and couldn't even hold water down. I was sick like that for the first 6 months, then things got better. I think I am pregnant now and I don't feel sick. But every pregnancy is different.
Posts: 4 | From: Napa, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.