Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » My daughter could be pregnant!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My daughter could be pregnant!
mommateach
Neophyte
Member # 22126

Icon 9 posted      Profile for mommateach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I am a Mom who really cares about her children. I care very much who my 17 year old hangs around with. This is why when she chats on the computer, I snoop and read her logs when she is at work. I KNOW it's bad, but I just need to know. I am a very nervous person. Anyway, there were 2 logs when she chatted with 2 girlfriends. To both of them, she said that she had sex with this boy who has been after her all school year. He has called, talked to her @ school, etc. She also told a boy she REALLY likes that this other boy TRIED to have sex with her but she refused. I am unsure what is true...did she or didn't she. I am now very concerned because she last had her period on Dec. 22. She did not get a period on January 22 or there about. This sexual encounter allegedly took place on January 3rd. Now, she has been late with her period before...as much as missing a month. Tomorrow, it will be 2 months. I kind of approached her about it last night. I did not tell her I know about the sexual experience. I did tell her that I am very nervous about her not getting her period. Her answer to me was "I don't know why you're worried if I'm not worried...there is no reason to be worried, Mom!" I made sure I told her if there is a reason that it is OK and she can talk to me about it. My nerves are killing me...I don't know what to do. She is a senior and is going to the Prom with the boy that she really likes who is from a great family. I just don't want her life to be screwed up. Please ease my nerves. I told her that if she does not get her period by Friday, she has to get a test. What has me very nervous is the fact that the 3rd of January is 2 days before ovulation if her period was on target. I am correct that if her period was going to be late, ovulation would be late too?
Thanks for listening!

Posts: 1 | From: Hazleton, PA USA` | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, caring does not necessitate invasions of privacy.

No one here is going to tell you how to parent, but it sounds like you already know that what you're doing is a pretty massive breach of trust, and not something likely to instill your daughter's trust in you.

We cannot know what she did or did not do: perhaps you might consider ASKING her, and being honest this time about your snooping?

If you don't chart her cervical mucus -- and how could you? -- you can't know when she ovulates reliably, and irregularity of periods does not dicate same for ovulation. But given her last period, there's no reason to wait longer for a pregnancy test. Now is well beyond a fine time to do so. If she has not started annual GYN visits, a good first step would actually be to schedule those for her now, including a full STI screening, which everyopne should have annually. She can get a pregnancy test at that time as well.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage ST blog about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katherose
Activist
Member # 22441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katherose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think i would freak out if I found out _my_ mother had been snooping through my stuff. A better way to go around it might have been to just tell her what you were worried about. If you think she might be pregnant, you could either a)come out and say, "I snooped through your stuff and I think you're pregnant," or b) leave a home pregnancy test out. If she might be pregnant, she will probably take the hint and use it. Also, I find it a little creepy that you know her cycle like that. She is 17, let her be a bit.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tofutticutie
Activist
Member # 14673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tofutticutie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that makes me feel sad. it sounds like you guys have a *fairly* open relationship. Have you considered just talking with her about her sexuality? i've found that as i've gotten older, and realized that my mom accepted my sexuality, i've really enjoyed being able to talk to her about [almost] everything. my mom keeps the conversation lighthearted and enjoyable. maybe don't take things sooo seriously that it makes her uncomfortable to talk about it, but also make her aware of your concerns. she'll probably open up to you:) And then, hopefully you wont feel the need to snoop.

I can see why you'd be worried, but you've got to stop snooping, because your daughter is your friend. try to get information from her. open up to her first, and she will probably follow suit.

------------------

Posts: 51 | From: NC, USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amw17
Neophyte
Member # 23383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amw17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am 19 and able to tell my mom everything because she has accepted the fact that i am a mother now myself and there is nothing she can do to stop me and my boyfriend from having sex, since we live togethe.
Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
X1342666
Neophyte
Member # 23381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for X1342666     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Egad! my mom is like that but i am fortunate she knows less about comptures than a rock and still has to ask me to help her check her e mail. You really should be more open about it if you snoop with her best interest at heart you should tell her what you did, say you are very sorry for doing it, and that you are concered for her, and secondly, stop doing because chances are she isnt going to trust you at all, my brother did that to me and i still dont trust him with anything meaning i dont even tell him my friends names anymore. she will most likely be mad at you, but think about it, how would you have felt if your mother had read through Your stuff? hmm?
Posts: 2 | From: plano texas USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
X1342666, it's really not necessary to add the prying bit at the end. Several people have already stated (including Miz S.) that what the mother did wasn't OK. It's not necessary to restate that, and even less ok to be rude about it.
Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SweetHypnotiq
Neophyte
Member # 23568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for SweetHypnotiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think if your daughter the type to keep to herself, you might have NO CLUE what shes going through. My mom found out so mant things through SNOOPING AROUND. im glad she did, cuz now, i dont have anything to hide from her. She was worried also when i was late on my period, and she took me to the clinic, and i was 1 month pregnant, at 15!
I lover her to death, shes always been there for me, so if your daughters pregnant, just be there for her, AND talk to her. Let her know you'll always be there.

Posts: 9 | From: Baldwin Park, Ca, U.S | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superlevel
Neophyte
Member # 23673

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Superlevel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edited by the Smurf: ... Not helpful. This user came looking for advice, not to be insulted. Please refer to the guidelines ... And follow them.

[This message has been edited by LilBlueSmurf (edited 05-31-2005).]

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
La_bratti
Neophyte
Member # 23733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for La_bratti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW mom....first let me say you are a mother of a teen the same age as many of the users here, so its unlikely many would agree with you, or your methods even if they know its for the greater good.(something to do with that age old fight of adolesence against parents/adults )
...I say good for you mom, I have a very young daughter and try as I might to foster good communication with her now so when she is 17 she will come talk to me, who knows what will happen? BUT If I honestly felt she was in trouble I would tap the phone lines...snoop, follow her, read notes, diary's, or WHATEVER I felt was needed.
Anyway, Your daughter is older and I would say you have to respect her as an Older "child" now...Keeping in mind how you react when she does come to you with something that she thinks is GOD awful....be there to support/help her and not put her down!
GO mom/daughter TEAM (just a corny mom)

[This message has been edited by La_bratti (edited 06-05-2005).]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.