Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » I dont know wether to keep my baby

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I dont know wether to keep my baby
froggygirl14233
Neophyte
Member # 12671

Icon 4 posted      Profile for froggygirl14233     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I am 15 years old and i just found out that i am pregante. I dont know wether to keep the baby or give it up for adoption my parents want me to and so dosent the father of the baby but i dont know if i want to because i dont think that i icould live with my self if i didnt know where my child was. what do u think i should do.
Love ya always
Lauren

Posts: 21 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on where you are, one possibility might be an "open adoption".

In an open adoption, you'd have some information about the adoptive parents of your child, and maybe a "letterbox" set-up so that they could send you photos and letters as the child grows up.

If you are thinking about adoption, it might be a good idea to contact local agencies and find out if this would be a possibility.

I also notice that you've posted about being pregnant and having a miscarriage a couple of years back, e.g.:

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum10/HTML/000467.html

(Although I'm kind of confused because it looks like you were posting in April that year about having had a miscarriage, and then in June you said you were four months pregnant).

If you're having repeated unplanned pregnancies, that leads me to ask whether you're using birth control.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggygirl14233
Neophyte
Member # 12671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggygirl14233     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No i cant be on brith contorl because my mom and sister were on it and they both got blood clots from it so my doc wont put me on it. and yes i had a miswcarrage but the other one is june was for one of my freinds they used ym name becuae they didnt want to get there own because her mom gets into her eamil. My mom says that i half to put the baby up for adoption becausde she sadi so and i odnt want to i wsant to keep it ? Is it true that she cant make me give the baby up for aoption
Posts: 21 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope; in the eyes of the law, you are the responsible party for what happens to your fetus.
Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the future, using "birth control," means using ANY reliable method of birth control, not just hormonal methods like the pill.

So, being unable to use the pill doesn't mean you have no birth control options, or HAVE to have sex without using birth control. Condoms, for instance, are birth control, and EVERYONE can use them (even those who are latex-allergic, as there are alternatives).

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage ST blog about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
playbunny
Neophyte
Member # 21781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for playbunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
right what i would do is seriously think about whether or not you think you are able to cope with a baby you say your 15 there are to options abortion or adoptions but first of all tell your parents and tell the dad of the baby. then go to the doctors

hope i helped peace out and holla bk

Posts: 30 | From: england | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katherose
Activist
Member # 22441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katherose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that if I were in your shoes, I would be in the car on the way to Planned Parenthood to get an abortion. I know I couldn't deal with going through pregnancy, especially at 15, and then giving the baby away. It sound like your family is very religious, or antiabortion, as you didn't mention that as an option. If you have a friend who could drive you to the nearest clinic, or at the least to your family doctors office, they might be able to help you.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beck527
Neophyte
Member # 22475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beck527     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lauren! Don't jump to any decision on abortion or adoption. There are so many counselors available to help you make this decision. YOU are the one who has to live with it. Start by talking with an adoption agency. Many offer free counseling to help you make your decision. They won't push you either way, but will help you figure out what you need to do for you and your baby. A great agency that I would recommend is Shore Adoptions in VA. It doesn't matter what state you are in. They are happy to just talk to you about your options. I know the owner, Sherryl, and she has helped many moms make their decision- even some who have changed their mind at the last minute. She is at 757- 687-8602. You can tell her I referred you- my name is Becky.

God Bless you and my prayers are with you as you make such a difficult and important decision.
Becky

Posts: 3 | From: hampton, va | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pushing abortion or adoption on users is NOT helpful. The best we can do is provide options ...

Please try to use a little sensitivity when replying to posts such as this one ...

[This message has been edited by LilBlueSmurf (edited 03-14-2005).]

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beck527
Neophyte
Member # 22475

Icon 10 posted      Profile for beck527     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize. I didn't mean to sound like I was pushing adoption- just that they often have counselors who are willing to help us make our decisions by exploring ALL our options. I like this particular counselor because she doesn't pressure in any direction- just helps you realize your options. And she's free
Posts: 3 | From: hampton, va | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you beck527 ... That was just a (gentle, hopefully) reminder for everyone. It's a very touchy subject, and a very personal decision ... Options are good
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XxWishIKnewXx
Neophyte
Member # 15693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XxWishIKnewXx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got pregnant when I was 15. My mom wanted me to have an abortion or give the up for adoption. And I did what I thought was best, I kept the baby. And now my daughter is 5 months old and I couldnt be happier. No matter how mad your parents seem now, they will love you and the baby in the end. Do what your heart tells you to do. I did, and I could never be happier.
Posts: 29 | From: Augusta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightbrownSugar124
Activist
Member # 7983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightbrownSugar124     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that this decision is all up to you not your sister mother or the father. you have to carry and birth this child and after doing this i'm not so sure u would be able to give him or her up. While you are pregnat you are going to form a bond with your baby. Think about it, do you really want to miss its first steps, words, or even the more important things. Do u really want another raising your flesh and blood. If you beleive that you can take care of this child mentally and physically then i think you should keep it, even if you are 15 you will just have to grow up alot faster, but u was grown enough to lay down with a guy and make your child so you should be grown enough to take care of him or her. Like everyone says this baby did not ask to be here you did that. Don't worry i'm sure you will make the right decision . I did i am 6 months pregnant going on 7 in a week and i'm happy and wouldn't give up my baby for the world.
Posts: 63 | From: SouthCarolina | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sexyheffa
Activist
Member # 22649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sexyheffa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you could put your child in foster care
Posts: 41 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Think about it, do you really want to miss its first steps, words, or even the more important things. Do u really want another raising your flesh and blood.

"What you want" is not the only thing to consider here - if a pregnancy is going to be carried to term, there's also the question of what is best for the child who is going to come into existence.

And we've already asked people in this thread not to push one option over another or start telling froggygirl what she should do.

This is her choice and no-one else's.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

quote:
you could put your child in foster care

Foster care is generally designed to be a temporary solution, when a parents can't look after a child for a short period of time, or where there are issues of neglect or abuse at home. Some kids do get stranded in foster care for long periods of time, but this is generally regarded as a bad thing.

If you want to place a child for adoption, it's generally best to do so as soon as possible - the older a child gets, the harder it is to find adoptive parents for them, and it can be very stressful and damaging for a baby to deal with lots of changes of carers.

Foster care also means putting your child into the care of social services; if they decide that you actually can't care for the child yourself. they can start proceedings to remove the child permanently.

So it's really not a simple or casual option.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.