Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period
urbabygurl
Neophyte
Member # 18208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for urbabygurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my period today, it was sorta heavy today with strong cramps but now it is light with no cramps at all? Am i ok, is anything wrong? Does this def. mean i am not pregnant?
I also, took a bath could that make the cramps go away and or make it feel lighter?

Posts: 35 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Londongirl
Activist
Member # 18235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Londongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't stop worrying can you? you mentioned in one of your posts that you have OCD - do you think obsession could be your real problem here? are you getting any therapy/counselling for the OCD? could you tell a counsellor how you feel about the pregnancy scare?

I think all you can do is wait until it has been at least 10 days since the scare and then take a pregnancy test, and another 7 days later to put your mind at rest. although as you are bleeding, it now seems even more unlikely that you are pregnant - but maybe it will stop you worrying: and if it doesn't then I think worry is your issue here? you seemed to be looking for someone to say that you certainly aren't pregnant, and couldn't accept that no-one could know that. you seem unable to accept that you took a risk.

I know its hard, really I do, I'm a worryer myself, but I think the worrying could be the biggest thing for you to take care of here, please consider professional support if you haven't already

Hope you can start to feel better about all this soon

Londongirl

Posts: 352 | From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J20a
Neophyte
Member # 18265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J20a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chances are if you came on your period. No you are not pregnant.
MOst periods start heavy and calm down. It's normal. Don't panic.. just because your period is heavy one moment and light the next doesn't mean you're terminally ill or anything.
Taking a bath would make the cramps lighter.. possibly make them go away depending how bad they are. I suggest a hot water bottle too

------------------
"I have to go. I have to go. Where the f*ck does everyone go when they have to go, huh?"

Posts: 2 | From: England | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you've got a full-on period, then you're pretty darn unlikely to be pregnant. If you keep worrying about this (like londongirl pointed out), then just knock out your worries by tkaing a simple home pregnancy test. I know you're worried, but asking the same thing over and over and over is not going to make us change our answers suddenly. you need to take a few matters into your own hands. you can go to a drug store and buy the prengancy test. use it 10-14 days after the sexual incident in question, and test on the first urine of the morning. it's more concentrated and gives a more precise result.

Lemme give your brain something to gnaw on. when you're sexually active (which isn't just about inserting a penis into a vagina, y'know), you have to accept a certain level of risk. Yes, you do everything in your power to minimize that risk, but you have to know that if you are going to have sex (in its many forms), there can be consequences. If you are going to freak out hysterically every time you might have to face one of these consequences, it's a good idea to step back a minute and maybe consider avoiding sexual activity.

I mean, where's the fun if you panic everytime something happens? It wears down on ya after a while, and really, it's not good to put yourself through that.

------------------
"Have you ever taken a moment to consider the alternate meaning of the word 'debugger?'" quoth Jack
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbabygurl
Neophyte
Member # 18208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for urbabygurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I though it was impossible to have a period and be pregnant? That is whatit says in search
Posts: 35 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Londongirl
Activist
Member # 18235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Londongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that's basically right.

but the reasons I suggested you take a pregnancy test were
a)to try to stop your worries
b)because it is possible for a woman to bleed for reasons other than her period, even during pregnancy, so just the fact of bleeding is not 100% guarantee of not being pregnant

but to reiterate what everyone has said, your risk of pregnancy was low

Posts: 352 | From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbabygurl
Neophyte
Member # 18208

I know, that you can bleed but only spotting and this definatley is not spotting so i am fine correct?
nmcowgirl87
Activist
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nmcowgirl87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theoretically you should be ok. In all probability, you aren't pregnant. But for heavens sake, if you're that worried take a home pregnancy test! They arenít expensive, and it would give you peace of mind.

XOXOX,
Tab

------------------
Ride it like you stole it!

Posts: 64 | From: Carlsbad, NM USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BiLLaBaBy017
Activist
Member # 6514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BiLLaBaBy017     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with nmcowgirl87. Take a pregnancy test. Other people have told you that as well. I don't want to sound mean but, if you come to someone for advice, like us here, and we give it to you, you should take it. We are all here to help others out and get help ourselves. If you have OCD you should really talk to a doctor about it and get put on some meds or soemthing if aren't already.

But for pete sake take a pregnancy test and everything will be fine!

Don't worry! Good Luck

------------------
*^AsHLeY^*

Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is mystery
Today is a gift

Posts: 294 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.