Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » baby wipes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: baby wipes
Avrie_44
Activist
Member # 10881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avrie_44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, My neice is 1 years old and seems to get diper rash very badly if we use baby wipes on her, so we use a face cloth to clean her, i was wondering if there was some thing out there we can use instead of the face cloths. something hypoallergenic or something.
thanks so much

Posts: 98 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of baby wipes were you using?

I ask, because most commercial brands are very heavily fragranced, and synthetic frgrances can cause allergic reactions pretty commonly.

You might try looking into wipes from a natural foods stores, without bleaches or perfumes. If that still doesn't work and a washcloth does, I don't see why sticking with the washcloth is a problem. I've known many mothers who used them -- for both health reasons as well as environmental ones -- if it's an issue of it being inconvenient when out, you can keep moistened cloths in a plastic baggie or tupperware to transport them.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avrie_44
Activist
Member # 10881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avrie_44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But isn't it unsanitary to use them, would you use the same one over or keep getting a different on, wouldn't bactira grow on the cloth and some how harm the baby.
thanks so much for your help. you are all wonderful people.

Posts: 98 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd put each one through a wash and boil after you used it, so yeah, you'd have to buy a big batch of cloths first (or use cloth diapers for this). You do that, no worries about germs: think how many more babies in history DIDN'T use disposable baby wipes than those who did.

But since washcloths are WAY more absorbent than paper baby wipes, you rarely need to use more than one per wipe, so that can go a long way and also cost a lot less in the long run (and see? Better for the enviornment, too).

When I used to do that method (when I ran an alternative preschool and kindergarten) or make packs for friends, I made a wipe formula for the cloths out of pure castille soap, water and a drop of cammomile oil (soothes the skin), and just put the days wipes in a tupperware, keeping a larger ziplc baggie or another tupperware for the used ones -- just rinse'em out first -- until they could be washed.

If that doesn't work or appeal, again, try the unfragranced, unbleached sort from a natural foods store.

Glad to help.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huggies or is it pampers? umm... I will double check next time I am at Walmart, but one of them makes a wipe for sensitive skin. Whenever my son got a diaper rash, I always switched to clothes. It didn't burn. When you think about it, the dollar store sells them for 4-5 for a pack. A $15 investment in cloth ones pays for itself in about 2-3 weeks. A lot of money is spent on wipes that are thrown out.

If your neice gets a lot of diaper rashes then her mother should be bringing her to the docs. Babies can get yeast infections and other infections on their bottoms that can be quite nasty. Diaper cream with zinc oxide is amazing for sensitive bums. Lather it one, can't put too much. It's fairly cheap, even no name versions are great.

------------------
I want a tail mommy.

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nmcowgirl87
Activist
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nmcowgirl87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My soon-to-be stepsister's baby is also very allergic to most baby wipes. We've found that Wet Ones wipes with vitamin E don't irritate her at all. If you try them, just be sure to get the ones with vitamin E and not the antibacterial kind. They tend to be more irritating.

XOXOX,
Tab

------------------
Ride it like you stole it!

Posts: 64 | From: Carlsbad, NM USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Londongirl
Activist
Member # 18235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Londongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It amazes me, the amount of chemicals and fragrances in baby products. I've got sensitive skin and some baby products bring ME out in a rash, never mind a baby's thin, delicate skin.

I have irritable bowel syndrome, so tried baby wipes as an option for cleaning my sore backside - not much of an option!! I now swear by "moist toilet tissue" that we have in England - I guess you probably have it in the US too? Seems to be much more gentle than baby wipes!! Go figure, as you say over there.

If anyone knows of any individually wrapped hypoallergenic wipes I could fit in a small bag when I'm out I'd love to know.....!!

Londongirl
University Student, London, England

I can spell, we just do it differently.......

[This message has been edited by Londongirl (edited 05-29-2004).]

Posts: 352 | From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another BIG culprit for diaper rash is the disposable diapers themselves. They're made of pretty much NOTHING but chemicals.

Changing the baby more frequently can also cut down on the time her skin's in conact with waste, and can cut down on the diaper rash.

If you want to clean her with something disposable, just moisten some paper towels when you change her with plain warm water. They'll clean her just as well.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.