Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » labour

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: labour
NatGIRL
Neophyte
Member # 17658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NatGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is it painful?????
I want to know more about it
Can anybody recommend me the article about this topic?
I am new here

Posts: 6 | From: Malaysia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on your pain threshold and the sort of labor you're having. I had three days of back labor and yes, it hurt. Your body produces adrenaline during labor, however, and the pain doesn't matter.

There aren't any articles at Scarleteen about labor or childbirth, but I did write a post about pain control, located HERE. Other than that, you'll have to do an internet seach for "childbirth" or "labor and delivery". Good articles can be found at WebMD and BabyCenter.

Are you pregnant, or just curious?

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurricanes
Neophyte
Member # 17667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurricanes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know anything about labour myself, but my friends who have been pregnant, like this website a lot. http://www.ivillage.com/topics/pregbaby/0,,166366,00.html
It has information about labor, including pain control methods.

[This message has been edited by hurricanes (edited 04-10-2004).]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NatGIRL
Neophyte
Member # 17658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NatGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am not pregnant , just curious!!
Tx guys

Posts: 6 | From: Malaysia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RumpusParable
Activist
Member # 2295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RumpusParable     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
first, this varies a lot, this was simply what i experienced:

recently attended the birth of a close friend's second baby... due to some hospital overcrowding issues, they didn't give her drugs until she was 8-9cm dilated.

it was like watching The Exorcist. if she looked you in the face you would swear her name was Reagan.

she was screaming, crying, gripping me and her husband, begging for medication or to have it stop, between contractions -while there was still a minute or so between them- she was instead collapsed on the bed quietly crying and begging for drugs and repeating over and over in a quiet voice that she "couldn't do it... please, please make it stop", etc.

back labor + what she later described as a feeling like someone was trying to rip her uterus through her stomach.

then they got drugs in her after deciding she was too far dilated to send to another hospital and things were much quieter. she dozed on and off for a while, then came the feelings to push and shortly after she had had her younger daughter.

her first labor was longer but less intense... really not too bad, she says. this one was very quick and very painful (may be because she went from 3cm to 8/9cm in about 2hrs? entirely labor lasted somewhere between 5 & 7hrs, my memory is blurred on that bit) and now, a couple months later when referring to it she can only stand to talk about it for a sentence or two.

my mother's input and that of the nurses that worked on my friend is that "it's the worst pain you can ever experience".

can't say for myself, after seeing *that* i'm even firmer in my wish not to go through it.

it varies per person from what i assume, though, and apparently by labor as my friend's two were so very different in length and pain... but then, on the first one they gave her drug help almost from the start & i wasn't there, so i couldn't judge from the outside lol.

in truth, it's probably just one of those things you get to find out from doing... that's my guess.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.