Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Premature

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Premature
Bae Bae
Neophyte
Member # 12406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bae Bae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was five and a half month pregnant when I gave birth to my son. In the month of April 2003 I had a cone biopsy. I also have HPV. My gyno. told me before I had the surgery that if I ever got pregnant that I could have a prematur baby. Through out my pregnancy I only seen a doctor once and a couple of nurses and midwives. When I went to the doctors the first time, they did a pap and when I went back the nurse asked if anyone called about my abnormal pap. I said no. She said she was going to refer me to a civilian doctor. She never did and in the process of me setting my own appointment, I lost my baby. Shouldn't my pregnancy been clasified as high risk. Shouldn't they have paid more attention??

I started bleeding on the fri. before I had the baby on monday. I won't heavey. The clinic told me not to worry unless I was using more than one pad in a hours time, or cramping. I was barely filling up a pantie liner. I went to the emergency room on Sunday and sat for two hours (I put on the sheet, pregnant and bleeding) before a doctor came out and talked to my mother. He said the samething the clinic say. I sarted having contractions monday early morning and had and lost my child.

Couldn't they have did someting can I do something now. Do you think they ignored me because of my age(17)?? I need some answers. If ya'll can't provide them, could you send me in the right path to find them???

Posts: 15 | From: Norfolk, VA, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You talk about asking for a referral to a civilian doctor, so what health care system were you in before? I'm assuming a military one?

Personally, I have no idea how that particular system works (in terms of how you get assigned to doctors, what you're paying, how much prenatal care is available and how much finding it is up to the patient, how malpractice is or isn't applicable, etc.), so if that was the case, I'd suggest you talk to someone in legal aid who knows those channels.

Not knowing more specifics about your medical history, it's hard to say what the miscarriage was due to -- HPV and a biopsy all by itself doesn't have to create a high risk situation, nor to my knowledge does either mean a woman will be more inclined to premature labor and birth (but your age, nutrition levels, gen. health, genetic issues all may). However, it seems to me that the quality of care you've been receiving throughout is certainly questionable.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bae Bae, I'm really sorry to hear about how bad your experience was– as someone whose health care growing up was through the military, I can perhaps offer some insight. Although the systems are a bit different by region (I was in the DC metropolitan area/northern Virginia), I think they are pretty much similar overall.

While it's really wonderful that all the medical services for free for Service members and their families, the level of treatment can be lacking if you don't watch out for yourself.

Which clinic were you going to? A general clinic, your family doctor, adolescent medicine, the Well Woman clinic? My experiences with general clinics weren't half as good (for example the doctors weren't as friendly) as with the Well Woman clinic, where the doctors and nurses there were very good and I'd say especially caring about younger patients. Same for adolescent medicine. There are a lot of little loopholes and fine print in the system, such as you need a parent with you if you are under 18 for an appointment at family practice but not at adolescent medicine.

And stuff can definitely go wrong, as at any hospital. I know of a woman who was misdiagnosised and given the wrong medicine for an ear infection that actually made her go deaf. I went in one time with wrenching neck pain to only to be given Tylenol, only to later go back to the emergency room to learn I had a pinced nerve/muscle spasm and get a shot of Valium (or something really strong like that) as well as a prescription for a neckbrace and more medicine.

My point is that you really have to watch out for yourself and make sure you're getting what you need. You can't always choose your doctor but you can ask for a referal or go back and ask for a different doctor if you didn't like their attitude or level of service– this includes ob/gyn. You have to polite but incredibly firm with multiple follow-ups, if necessary.

I'm figuring you are a dependent (?), which means you probably have access to free military lawyers as well. You may not feel comfortable consulting them considering this all happened in a military hospital, but at least they'd give you some more insight on the fine print rules. And of course a civillian lawyer would also be an option.

So, I don't mean to sound like I'm saying it's your fault because it's not but rather that in the future you need to fight for a good level of service sometimes. Also, having your sponsor come in with you because they can help make sure you get the service you deserve, especially if you feel you aren't being taken very seriously by the health care personel.

------------------
"I'm a cunning linguist" ~Princess Superstar

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.