Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » A question for all girls (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A question for all girls
tiff tiff
Neophyte
Member # 14748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tiff tiff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my question to all females.

If you happened to get pregnant who would you tell first tell.
your mother or friend and why.

Posts: 20 | From: tempe.Az.united states | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The father.
After that, definitely family.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

The Earth says Hel-lo!

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably my roommates at school first--they'd probably come with me to get the test and such. I (heart) social support.

Then, the father.

Then, somehow, my parents.

------------------
got a haircut, got a silver tooth
tryin' to get myself arrested

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovelyluvella
Neophyte
Member # 14801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovelyluvella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...since I am in that fix right now. I'd tell my friends, because I know they'd support me no matter what. I have no intention of ever telling the father (I'm not sure if I am yet), and then I'd somehow tell my parents. The only reason I wouldn't go to my parents first is because I know how big of a dissapointment it would be to them!
Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lovelyluvella, if you aren't sure whether you are pregnant or not, take a test! You can do this from two weeks after you had intercourse. You probably knew that already, but if you are pregnant (and you know for sure) you can look at your options and decide what to do next. I'm glad you have supportive friends, and there is a pregnancy and parenting section here at Scarleteen that you might find helpful. But first things first, eh? Take the test. Good luck

*badger*

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would definetly tell my best friend first because I can tell her anything and she always supports me with anything that I do.

Then I would tell the father.

And when I got the courage (how ever long that would take!) I would tell my parents.

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RumpusParable
Activist
Member # 2295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RumpusParable     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my husband, because all hell would break loose, then i'd have to see a doctor about counselling & ending the pregnancy.

i'd both be unreasonably angry with him for healing from his vasectomy & also desperately needing his support.

after him, i'd probaby talk to my local friends about it... if nothing else, they'd be told because leaving the country (and getting the leave for my husband to come with) would be a little hard to miss since most of them work together...

i doubt i'd ever tell my parents at all, not really any of their business.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shann2002
Activist
Member # 10090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shann2002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The father.
Then we'd work out how to break it to our families.

Posts: 127 | From: Da Dirty South | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pix
Activist
Member # 13496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
definately, the dad would find out first.
after that, i think i'd confide in my best friend, and get her and the dad to help me figure out how to break the news to my parents.

Posts: 109 | From: canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweetpeas0214
Activist
Member # 15069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweetpeas0214     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would tell my husband then we would decide when to tell the news to our families. Then we would tell our friends.
Posts: 57 | From: Knoxville, Tn, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkyboo
Neophyte
Member # 14920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkyboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The father, definetely. Then his parents, because they'd be easier than mine, but I guess I'd have to tell mine very very soon after.
Posts: 9 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady21
Neophyte
Member # 15020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd tell the father first, both because he has to know and because he's one of the greatest emotional supports in my life. Then I'd tell my mom and my sister, but not my dad, because he would be so disappointed. I would tell my closest girlfriends but that's it; I wouldn't want people to gossip too much.

Then I would have to figure out what to do.

Posts: 25 | From: Toronto, ON, Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to move this over to "Pregnancy and Parenting", as I think it would fit better there .
Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gentlyweep
Neophyte
Member # 13707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gentlyweep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was 16 I got pregnant and I told the father and a couple of my friends. It was quite the eye opening experience...the things you learn about people. As soon as I told the father the result of my pregnacy test he lowered the boom on me. He informs me of how I couldnt take care of a child because I suffered from depression and sighed that he would just have to take custody.

My friends werent much better...they had no problem talking about something so private with anyone. They knew I was getting picked on at school so this just made things worse.

I was so stressed out at their reactions that I couldnt imagine what my parents would so I didnt tell them. I didnt get prenatal care and continued to take medications not knowing about the risk they could cause a fetus. I also took to physically abusing myself. I miscarried at the end of the first trimester. That was several years ago and I know soo much more.

I'd still tell the father first and based on what action we decided to take I would then tell friends and family.

Posts: 11 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killer_raincoat
Activist
Member # 6610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killer_raincoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'd tell the father, and then i'd tell my sister.
it would take some courage to tell the rest of my family. best to go with someone you know isn't really going to get mad at you, or think less of you.

------------------
"Everybody thinks i'm such a horrible person, but i have the heart of a little boy. In a jar. On my desk." -Stephen King

Posts: 212 | From: Winnipeg | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psychodahlia
Neophyte
Member # 15003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Psychodahlia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd tell my therapist first and try and work out the rest from there...joking...but in all seriousness I would tell my best friend first because she would probably know something was up and then I'd tell the father, then some how work up the nerve to break it to my family once the father and i had time to talk

Posts: 16 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
definitely the father. i'd figure he had the biggest stake in all of this besides me.

------------------
Be the doctor your parents always wanted you to marry.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, when it happened to me, the first person I called was my best friend, who promptly told me to do another test. I did another test, and called my aunt, so I could tell an 'adult'. My aunt comforted me, and told me to go to a doctor. Once I had the pregnancy confirmed with a blood test, I told the father. I didn't tell him earlier, cause I didn't want to freak him out for no reason. Then much, much, much later I told my parents, then my siblings, and then his parents, and so on.
Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frozendreams
Activist
Member # 7638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frozendreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
every time i have been pregnant i have told the father first.

------------------
formerly unhappykoger

Posts: 118 | From: dayton ohio usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XCatFightX
Activist
Member # 14419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XCatFightX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe I would tell my friend first because she's always been one for good advice and I know she'd help me figure out how to present it to my parents

------------------
"I'm pure as the driven slush"-Tallulah Bankhead

Posts: 47 | From: Maine, USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovey
Neophyte
Member # 14885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lovey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The father would be the first to know because he would be there with me while I took the home preg test.

After that I think that we would tell his parents first ... then some how break it to mine.

Then we would have to decide what we were going to do.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sprite
Neophyte
Member # 15325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sprite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not have to tell the father, because he would be there with me to find out the results of any such test.

Then, my regular doctor.

Next, his best friend and my best friend.

After that, we would hold a meeting and tell both sets of parents together.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
diggsm550
Neophyte
Member # 15301

Icon 5 posted      Profile for diggsm550     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think i would tell my berst friend first because i dont want someone who will tell me "oh you are so stupid how did you do this"
i just want someon who will hug me and say rite aid has great bottle sales

Posts: 22 | From: cobleskill ny usa | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
molly_hellion
Activist
Member # 15028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for molly_hellion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would tell my wonderful fiance. Then the WHOLE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I really cant wait to be someones mommy!!!!)
Posts: 48 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 2 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally would tell the dad first (that would be Isaiah anyway)... then we would eventually tell our 'rents, and our close friends.

------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MiKe'sGUrL69
Neophyte
Member # 15470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MiKe'sGUrL69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would say a friend because it is a lot harder to come out to your family and tell them without other moral support as well
Posts: 12 | From: jacksonvlle,florida,usa | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ladybug_dancer
Neophyte
Member # 8763

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ladybug_dancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd tell my sister just for support, then I'd tell my boyfriend but I wouldn't tell him that my sister knows then I'd call my dad while he calls his parents, then I'd call my other sisters while he calls his grandmother.....We'd probably just relish in the moment anyway for a while and then tell them later. Hed be pretty happy.
Posts: 13 | From: Dallas, Tx | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BiLLaBaBy017
Activist
Member # 6514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BiLLaBaBy017     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, I would take a pregnancy test to make sure I was or not.

Then, I'd tell the father.

After that, I would tell my family

Lastly, I'd tell my best friend b/c I can tell her anything and I know she'll give me good advice on what to do.
**But just b/c she's my BFF doesn't mean she HAS to come first. It's the father, family, and then friends no matter what.

--BiLLa

Posts: 294 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vero50
Neophyte
Member # 9252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vero50     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would definately tell the father of the baby first. After that I would probably tell my friends. My parents I would tell very last because instead of helping they would probably just start saying really idotic things.

------------------
**Veronica**

Posts: 8 | From: San Antonio Tx | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a_c_munson
Activist
Member # 12477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for a_c_munson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the first time i told the father then my best friend then my mom, i let her tell my dad. the second time i told my husband first then my daughter.
Posts: 94 | From: plymouth,mn,usa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mem310
Neophyte
Member # 15735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mem310     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would definately tell the father first, and then go from there. The two of us, if everything was alright, would tell each set of parents together.

Posts: 6 | From: an ice hockey rink | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blood_vampire010903
Neophyte
Member # 15837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blood_vampire010903     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'd either tell the father of the child or my friend first because there first reaction wouldn't be to yell and they'd comfort you and they'd help you tell your parents
Posts: 2 | From: Elkland,PA,USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mirrormirror
Neophyte
Member # 15879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mirrormirror     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd tell my best friend first for emotional support, then the father, then my family...theoretically, that is.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EversBoo15
Activist
Member # 15917

Icon 3 posted      Profile for EversBoo15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would tell my Pa becuz i feel hed jess understand betta.....latina gansta my ma would say ..(lolz)
Posts: 116 | From: Va,Usa | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cassiggity
Activist
Member # 15946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cassiggity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well in my situation, it would be a happy occasion....
So, I'd tell my bf (who will be my husband by then) and then I'd call my mom.

My mom and I are very very close, so she would definitely be the first one I told.

Posts: 40 | From: RI | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.