Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » abortion and pain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: abortion and pain
dixiestarlette
Neophyte
Member # 14759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiestarlette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got referred to this board because I really need some help. I am about 4 weeks pregnant and my boyriend and I, together, decided to have an abortion. I am 17 with plans to attend college next fall, and he is 19 already supporting his ex-girlfriend who is about 2 months pregnant. I feel like it is the right thing to do for us, and for the child in question because we both know that we would be unable to provide it a good life. I am having the abortion on a saturday, and i was wondering if the pain afterwards would be withstandable, in other words, can I function around my parents the next day or will I be in insane cramps? And if i cramp, will pain killers help at all? My parents do not know about it, and I have Saturday and Sunday both "tied up" so they will not know about it, but I wondered about the pain I will feel afterwards. Is it as bad as the nurse at the clinic says? She said I will be lying in the floor curled up in pain because of it, or will it just be very instense cramps like I have when I am on my period? I am having an anasthesia abortion if that matters. PLEASE help me, I am very scared! Thank you so much!
Posts: 21 | From: SC, USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really tends to vary from person to person, but I'm not sure why the nurse told you that, because being "curled up in pain" is not usually what goes down. For most people, the cramping tends to be similar to period cramps, sometimes slightly more severe.

In my experience, you can do a few things to alleviate that pain and shorten it.

Having a local aneasthetic rather than a general often speeds recovery time, for instance. Something like ibuprofen certainly can and will help with any cramping, as can a hot water bottle, and plain old rest.

Do make sure that SOME adult close to you knows you've had an abortion, please. It's important for your safety, should the worst happen, for instance, and you start to hemhorrage and need someone to get you to the ER.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67115 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiestarlette
Neophyte
Member # 14759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiestarlette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. That really makes me feel better. I plan on being put to sleep and my boyfriends mom knows about what's going on, so I have the adult taken care of. Thanks!
Posts: 21 | From: SC, USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(That's what I meant in terms of anesthesia. It's worth considering NOT being put to sleep. for several reasons, including pain reduction in healing.)
Posts: 67115 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiestarlette
Neophyte
Member # 14759

If I am left awake, would the pain not increase because I could feel it? Or would they numb it? And would I be able to function the next day if I wasn't put to sleep? Thanks!
Heather
Member # 3

http://www.infoforhealth.org/pr/l10/l10chap4_3.shtml

There's a good page which addresses pain management for the procedure, as well as some pros and cons of local vs. general.

It's written for abortion providers rather than patients, but it's easy to understand.

Heather
Member # 3

The pain during a local anesthetic is pretty identical to menstrual cramps, and it is incredibly short, just a couple minutes at a max.

NOT being put to sleep would leave you feeling better the next day, not worse. Being put to sleep, or sedation, tends to have side effects such as migraine, nausea, and a feeling of dragginess that a local does not create.

dixiestarlette
Neophyte
Member # 14759

So the pain would be more like having ANY sort of outpatient surgery done after the anasthetic then? I handle anesthetics pretty well, I have had to be put to sleep for other procedures before so if the pain is all in the nausea and headache, then I should be ok. I'm more concerned with the pain 'down there'.
Heather
Member # 3

What I'm saying is this: no matter what you do, you are likely to have some heavy cramping. That's just how it goes, but really, it is likely to be totally tolerable and okay.

But sometimes, patients find that sedation tends to increase that pain later, due to the body being taxed by the sedation and its other side effects. For instance, if you've ever had the flu AND your period, you've likely experienced that cramps tend to feel worse then than usual.

Follow?

If it's at all helpful, I've had an abortion on just a local, and I'm very glad that's what I did. Not only was the pain just kind of like a hard pinching for a small bit, I was glad to be awake so I could be aware of what was going on. The benefit to that as well is that your doctor can best determine how you are during and after immediately.

dixiestarlette
Neophyte
Member # 14759

One more question...If you do stay awake,do they numb it at all?
Heather
Member # 3

That'd be the local anesthetic I keep referring to.

Check out the article I gave you the link to, eh?

dixiestarlette
Neophyte
Member # 14759

Thanks! I will!
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A really informative website on abortion... http://www.prochoice.org/
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.