Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Abortion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abortion
Nay_J_05
Neophyte
Member # 13221

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Nay_J_05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend is pregnant for the second time and she is only 16. The first time she was raped and her mother illegally only payed for part of the abortion so only a part of the baby was taken out. When she was six months pregnant and unaware she had to have the baby and then they killed it. She is pregnant again and the father is across the country and she doesn't know when he'll be back. He has tried to call her but he can't call her house because of her mother. Her mom said that if she finds out that she is pregnant she'll throw her out and send her to JUVINILE DETENTION. Her mother is also kind of abusive towards her.They haven't been able to talk and he wants this baby really bad but she doesn't know if she'll be able to keep it. She's almost two months and wants to wait a month to see if he comes back and if he doesn't, she wants to get another abortion because she can't do it herself. Will another abortion hurt her physically and maybe make her unable to have children?
Posts: 6 | From: Oak Harbor, WA 98277 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first question is the age of the father.

According to the RCW's, your friend may have sexual relations with some one up to 60 months (5 years) older than her self until she is 18. If she fits this criteria, she has done nothing wrong.

Second, she needs to seek medical attention. If she is indeed in the second month, she should be getting regular pre-natal check ups to make sure her child is healthy, especially if she wants to keep it.

If she ultimately decides to have an abortion, she should seek proper medical treatment. If done correctly, she shouldn't have any future complications. But, nothing is one hundred percent.

My recommendation would be to seek out a local free clinic or Planned Parenthood. They can provide counseling and medical services on a sliding scale. In fact, there is a Planned Parenthood in Oak Harbor.
http://www.ppww.org/Clinics/OakHarbor.html

That link has all the contact information you need.

Good Luck.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see how the girl could be sent to a juvenile detention facility if she hasn't comitted a crime. so that could be an empty threat, although i'd take the getting thrown out part seriously.

about her previous pregnancy, you were unclear. What's this about only part of the fetus being removed? Did she see an actual doctor for the procedure? If not, then that's awful considering the procedure is safe and leag in the US. Secondly, if the whole mass wasn't removed during the procedure, your friend could have gotten very ill (infection, sepsis) or bled to death. And what was the second part about the 6 months??? please clarify.

Also, since your firend is a minor and the problems may involve court and what not, please help her look into finding a child advocate. that is a person who will help guide them in court and help them with social and protective services.
http://www.childadvocate.net/ http://www.washingtonstatecasa.org

------------------
May suffering and pestilence befall the %$@! who broke into my car.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a_c_munson
Activist
Member # 12477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for a_c_munson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the US if she is pregnant she is emancipated. Now her mom could throw her out. But your friend can get state aid to help her take care of herself and her child if she chooses to have it. Mom cannot send her to Juvenal detention or anywhere else with out her consent. It sounds to me as if she needs to get counseling and see what resources are available to help her.
Posts: 94 | From: plymouth,mn,usa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
munson, that's not true. in the US, minors are emancipated when they reach the age of majority, 18, or when they complete the legal proceedings for emancipation. pregnancy has nothing to do with it. her mother could still throw her out, but it wouldn't be legal.

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's by state? I know that you become emancipated when you're pregnant in New York. I think that law might have originally been decided so that parents couldn't force their daughters to have abortions. If you're pregnant and then have an abortion, I don't know if you become un-emancipated.

------------------
You were never no locomotive, Sunflower, you were a sunflower!
-Allen Ginsberg

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've looked into this before -- unless laws have radically changed in the last year, pregnancy does not create instant emancipation in any state that I know of.

A minor is, however. legally entitled to choose to do whatever she wishes with a pregnancy, save in states where parental notification and permission is required for abortions, of which there are several.

It's worth saying, howeverm that if all your friend is claiming has occurred in her family is so (this 6-month pregnancy/infanticide bit has me highly confused -- as well as the fact that it is more than slightly hard to fathom partial payment of an abortion resulting in one at all, and nigh unto immpossible to envision partial payment=partial abortion, that's just a bit of a stretch of the imagintion there, let alone logistics), then I suggest you or she call DCFS and make a report, because you're talking about abuse here.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 05-31-2003).]

Posts: 67062 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.