Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » pregnancy tests

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnancy tests
girlie*
Activist
Member # 5257

Icon 5 posted      Profile for girlie*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is it true that the pregnancy tests that you can buy over the counter can have false negatives, but never false positives?
Posts: 118 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is correct.

False negatives can be caused by human error (not peeing on the test long enough) or test failure (using an expired test, test is stored in a bad place, etc.)

Also, for a test to show up positive, it has to detect pregnancy hormones in the urine. Once these hormones are detected, the test will read positive. That's what that second window is testing for. If there are no pregnancy hormones to detect, the test would not show up as a positive.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kite
Activist
Member # 5957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you check the result after a long time (much longer than the time indicated on the box), it might be a false positive. That's why the test has to be looked at after the time indicated and then _thrown away_ .
Posts: 127 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, a test that sits for longer than five to ten minutes can lose its positive result if the positive line is faint.
Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, if a home pregnancy test comes up positive twice (I always take it twice, the statistical probability of getting 2 false positives is so small, you would have a better chance at winning the lotto), go to a doctor cause you can retake it, and retake it, but it will keep reading positive. I took several when I was pregnant, cause I kept hoping for one test to be negative. It never happened. Anyhoo, that is my perspective on home pregnancy tests.
Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.