Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » i never expected this?!?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: i never expected this?!?
Peanutbuttercups
Neophyte
Member # 11335

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Peanutbuttercups     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey all, im kinda new to this so bare with me. okay i have a boyfriend who i love very much but one night i was at my best guy friends house and we were watching a movie and one thing led to another and we had sex! at first he couldnt get hard so as soon as he did he hurried and penetrated.He didnt cum in me but im still worried that i might be pregnant.We used the withdrawel method. Its monday and my period isnt supposed to come until saturday but the past four days ive been the worst grouch and ive been nauseus and have had the worst gas and constipation. my stomach also feels really full all the time. i know its too early to test i have to wait atleast another week but can someone please shed some light on how im feeling??? please!!!
Posts: 3 | From: s'port, LA us | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!

First off, there is no way to diagnose a pregancy from "symptoms". Some women experience many, some none, and many things (such as indigestion, crabiness) can be attributed to other causes.

You can take a pregnancy test 10-14 days after unprotected sex, or when your period is due. If it turns up negative, take another after a week to verify that result.

Finally, you not only have a pregnancy risk, but an STD risk. I suggest you get to Planned Parenthood or a doctor for testing. In the future, it is advisable to at least use a condom, or, if worse comes to worse, get emergency contraception within 72 hours.

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MiSs_Behave
Activist
Member # 8605

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MiSs_Behave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zanney, depending on what religions are involved.. I don't think it's wise to recommend the emergency contraception. Maybe let Peanutbuttercups know exactly what it involves first, perhaps..

------------------
Follow your inner moonlight, don't hide the MaDdNeSs...

Posts: 56 | From: Land of Oz | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miss, we are ALWAYS going to advise emergency contraception here at Scarleteen for women who do not wish to become pregnant.

Perhaps you don't understand how it works yourself: Emergency Contraception
works BEFORE any pregnancy has occurred to PREVENT pregnancy, nearly identically to how the birth control pill works. It cannot work if a woman has already become pregnant.

Users can decide if they'd like to consider it all on their own when we suggest it, but we are always going to suggest it.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For future reference, Peanutbuttercups, "withdrawal" is not an effective method of contraception (and it doesn't provide any protection at all against STDs).

So once you've dealt with the current crisis, check out:

Margaret Sanger’s Disneyland - An easy chart of your birth control options
Safe, Sound & Sexy – A Safer Sex How-To

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peanutbuttercups
Neophyte
Member # 11335

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Peanutbuttercups     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey thanx for the info. its early tuesday morning ( a little after midnight) and i think im gonna go and buy one of those early response pg test that lets you take it four days sooner. has anyone ever taken one and got a positive?i i dont want to take it and it come out negative and then later on find out that i am! another thing is that i was calculating the time i had sex and it came up to be the day after i supposedly ovulated so i couldnt be... has anyone ever got pregnant the day after ovulation? is it possible? please someone answer my questions and ill let you guys know what happens. thanx!!!
Posts: 3 | From: s'port, LA us | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peanutbuttercups,
Make sure that you read the instructions for the pregnancy test carefully. If you read it too early, the results won't be accurate--home pregnancy tests detect a chemical which is produced during pregnancy. If you take it too early, even if you are pregnant, there can be such a small amount of the chemical in urine that the test can't detect it. Also, it is possible to get a false positive with a pregnancy test. Nothing is 100% accurate.

You bet that people have women have become pregnant after ovulation. It's possible to become pregnant at ANY time of the month.

If you really do not want to become pregnant, please get emergency contraception. You need to take it within 72 hours of the incident, and the faster the better.

FYI: Miz Scarlet, the webmaster of this site, would not be here if it weren't for the withdrawal method.

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also willing to bet, Peanut, that you haven't been charting your cycles, cervical mucus, and basal temperature for a few years to actually have anything close to an accurate idea of when you ovulate.

Counting days alone isn't enough to gauge fertility, especially if you've had your period for less than five years and/or have not been charting regularly for at least a good year or so.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peanutbuttercups
Neophyte
Member # 11335

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peanutbuttercups     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey! well, i havent taken the test yet. im too scared. scared of it comin back positive! i am almost 19 and i do have a full time job, ay own car and in college so i can take care of a baby. i have 3 more days till im supposed to start. i went and bought a test today... a clear blue easy 4 days sooner test with two in it. my friend told me to take it ( shes 8 months) but i want the right results so imma wait a couple more days. my stomach hurts and feels like... weird! kinda like im already on my period but a little different. i dont know, after 3 days i FINALLY had a bowel movement!!! iwas so constipated!!! one minute i feel pregnant then the next ill tell myself it cant be true just so i can make myself think im not. well ill let you guys know what happens. thanx for all the advise!!!
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Just a note Ashy and others. My OBGYN told me that false positives only happen when you are taking fertility treatment that includes hCG. hCG is only detectable in your system when you are pregnant. hCG is secreted by other glands in your system, but it is at such a low concentration that it would not cause a test to be a false positive. False negatives (when you test negative and you are really pregnant) are more common. There are a number of factors that might cause this. Apparently (I didn't hear this from my doc, but from an insert in a test) that all manufacteurs of pregnancy tests claim that all women will test positive if they are pregnant and test 42 days after the last periode. Some food for thought! If you test positive, then see your doc to discuss options, and to have an ultrasound to figure out how far along you are, and to make sure things are okay.

I have been there, I no how scary it is. When my test came out positive, I was confinced it was wrong. And when the second one said the same thing, I was confinced they were both wrong. Things always work out for the best in the end. Take care. Good luck

Oh one last thing. When you take a home pregnancy test, you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can read it. The box tells you shouldn't read it after a certain amount of time. Don't read it after this time. I made that mistake. Apparently, if you wait longer then what it says on the box, the negative can change to a positive. I checked mine and it was negative, went out and when I came back, it said positive. You should never read a test after the max time has expired, it doesn't give accurate results. Good luck

[This message has been edited by Insane (edited 01-09-2003).]

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
False positives are quite rare, but there are some other causes of them other than just taking fertility treatments. Incorrect testing and other factors can occasionally cause positives that are not real.

quote:
WebMD: Home Pregnancy Tests
Detergent or soap residue in the urine collection cup may cause the test results to indicate that you are pregnant when are not pregnant. This is called a false-positive result. False-positive results may also be caused by reading the test at the wrong time, exposing the test equipment to heat, sunlight, or vibration, having excess protein or blood in the urine, or having hCG hormone in the urine from some other cause (such as a very rare type of ovarian or placental cancer).

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 01-09-2003).]

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.