Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » who ma baby's daddy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: who ma baby's daddy
kuuipo
Neophyte
Member # 11144

Icon 2 posted      Profile for kuuipo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a friend of mine (seriously) was fucking a guy's girlfriend behind his back, and all three of them ended up with chlamydia. now, the girl's pregnant and of course, they're at a loss as to who the father is. i know that there's prenatal paternal testing through DNA sampling, but a)is there any specified time this needs to be done, i.e. a certain trimester, b)what is the average cost for one of these tests, relative to an abortion, c)how long would it take to find out its results, and d)where are these available? do they offer them at PP?

this is tricky.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the girl is considering carrying the pregnancy to term, then absolute top priority is getting the chlamydia treated. Untreated chlamydia can cause serious problems during pregnancy, including premature delivery and blindness or pneumonia in the baby.

Prenatal genetic testing can be done using a sample acquired through amniocentesis or CVS (chorionic villi sampling). However, these procedures have risks for both the woman and the fetus, so most doctors won't do them just for purposes of paternity testing. There is also apparently now a method of non-invasive testing based on fetal cells in the woman's circulation.

As far as I can find out from the net, these tests can usually be performed between the 10-12th and the 20th weeks of pregnancy, but you'd need to consult a doctor to get reliable information. And they can cost up to several hundred to one thousand dollars.

I don't know if Planned Parenthood offers prenatal paternity testing (they may not, since it's not a medically-necessary or health-related procedure), but you can find out by contacting them: Planned Parenthood (1-800-230-PLAN).

It's also important for your friend, the girl and her boyfriend to think about why they want the testing done, and how the results will affect them and their choices. If the girl wants to carry the pregnancy to term anyway, then paternity testing can be done more easily and cheaply after birth. And simply finding out which guy is the biological father isn't necessarily going to be the best way of determining which (if either) she wants to raise a kid with, or if she wants to have a kid at all.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kuuipo
Neophyte
Member # 11144

Icon 2 posted      Profile for kuuipo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for all your help. I really, really appreciate it.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.