Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » pregnant with two methods?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnant with two methods?
fairie
Activist
Member # 8914

Icon 5 posted      Profile for fairie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me and my boyfriend use both oral contraceptives and condoms. But still I'm so scared of getting pregnant.I know its probably silly, but I've read articles and such about that happening with two methods. Has it happened to anyone, or can anyone give me some advice. Thank ya'll so much!

------------------
Live,Laugh,Love

Posts: 101 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oral contraceptive pills taken every day at about the same time combined with condoms used properly provide exellent protection from pregnancy and many STIs/STDs. There are a few things that can make your bc pills less effective, including antibiotics, diarrhea, vomiting, and not taking them correctly. Otherwise, they are highly effective, and combined with properly used condoms, you have an extremely small risk of pregnancy.

Check out this link to make sure you're using condoms correctly. http://www.scarleteen.com/infection/condom.html

However, that tiny risk is still there, and it's a risk you must be willing if you want to engage in activities which place you at risk for pregnancy. There's no 100% effective way to prevent pregnancy except for celibacy. It's not silly to worry about it. If you're still very scared, it might be time to reevalute whether or not you're really ready to be having intercourse.

------------------
You were never no locomotive, Sunflower, you were a sunflower!
-Allen Ginsberg

[This message has been edited by PoetgirlNY (edited 12-21-2002).]

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.