Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » preg.? EC?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: preg.? EC?
la_latina
Neophyte
Member # 10789

Icon 5 posted      Profile for la_latina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. last wednesday, i had protected sex (condom) with my boyfriend. it had been almost a year since we had sex since i had a pregnancy scare in january and vowed not to have sex in a long time. well, i can usually estimate when i'm going to get my period and am usually be right because of the symptoms i get. When i get these symptoms i usually get it the next day. Well, i got the symptoms tuesday, and on wednesday we had sex. After we had sex, my period symptoms went completly away. i haven't gotten my period and its been three days adn i should of gotten it that same day! is there a possiblility i could be pregnant? i tried calling planned parenthood on friday but nobody picked up. only their machine that tells their business hours, but it was 2 o'clock in the afternoon! well, i'm hoping to get the emergency contraception on monday which will be five days after we had sex. i also want to know that if i am already pregnant, will taking the EC affect my baby? thank-you and sorry so long!
Posts: 10 | From: willis,tx,77378 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babe, if you used a condom correctly (for the whole duration of sexual activity) and it didn't break or tear, you have a very low risk of pregnancy. See? What's The Risk? - Five Easy Pregnancy Risk Assessment Flow Charts

If that's the case, you don't need to get EC. However, let me clear something up for you - EC will not hurt the developing fetus if you're already pregnant (that is, if the egg has already implanted in the uterus) - it prevents the fertilized egg from implanting, and that is all.

Because you seem to be so worried about pregnancy, and because you've had a scare before, why don't you consider pairing your condoms with another form of birth control? See this for more: Margaret Sanger’s Disneyland - An easy chart of your birth control options.

Also, you may want to reconsider whether you're ready to deal with an unplanned pregnancy if one occurs: Ready or Not? –The Readiness Checklist.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
la_latina
Neophyte
Member # 10789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for la_latina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long after can you get pregnancy symptoms? i was just wondering because my boobs are sore. thank-you.
Posts: 10 | From: willis,tx,77378 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pregnancy "symptoms" are a very unreliable way of telling if you're pregnant or not, and it's very unlikely that you'd be experiencing any at this stage anyway.

Check out this post:

Pregnancy "Symptoms" / Am I Pregnant?

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an aside, 5 days after intercourse is too late to take Emergency Contraception. EC is most effective when taken within three days of unprotected sex.
Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
la_latina
Neophyte
Member # 10789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for la_latina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi. thanx for the replys. i was looking up info on plannedparenthood.org and it says u can take the EC up to 120 hours after sex. is this wrong?
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can, but every day - every hour that goes by, the cances of it being effective are less and less.

The figures I have read give it a 75% chance on the first day after (24 hours), then 50% (48 hours), then 25% (72 hours), then less on down.

Basically, if you have had unprotected sex and do not wish to become pregnant, you should get EC as soon as is possible.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.