Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » herbal abortion or a pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: herbal abortion or a pill?
momomo
Activist
Member # 8636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momomo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ive heard tell of an "herbal abortion" or some type of pill u can take to induce miscarriage... anyone want to inform me of these things? I'm not pregnant or anything.. im just looking at options because i have been sexually active for a few months now and am always a bit worried about the "what if.." yeah and my friend induced a miscarriage by drinking a lot of alchohol.. and now shes infertile and emotionally distraught... would either of these options create infertility or other bodily harm? just wondering... thanx!

Posts: 273 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Herbal abortion can be extremely dangerous.

Really.

Herbal abortions occur when someone takes something that is toxic enough to their system to terminate a pregnancy. The thing is, whatever the person uses can also be toxic enough to cause severe illness and death. Most of us here at ST do not suggest nor do we endorse herbal abortions.

Inducing miscarriage with alcohol is also extremely dangerous and can lead to alcohol poisoning, severe liver damage, stomach damage, and can also lead to death. Infertility, however, is generally not viewed as a side-effect of massive alcohol consumption. Has your friend been analyzed by a physician and diagnosed with infertility?

The options that are safe and open to you if you are sexually active include birth control (such as The Pill, Lunelle, Ortho-Evra, etc, and barrier methods such as condoms), medical abortion, and the morning after pill if taken 72 hours after unprotected intercourse or intercourse with condom failure.

There are many articles on the Scarleteen site about birth control that can be found if you use the search function; there is also a section of these message boards devoted to birth control.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ive heard tell of an "herbal abortion"

Check out these threads to find out exactly why trying this is a bad, bad idea:

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum6/HTML/004152.html
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum6/HTML/004301.html
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum6/HTML/005731.html

quote:
or some type of pill u can take to induce miscarriage...

You may be thinking of the "abortion pill", RU-486, here. Check out this thread for more info:

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum8/HTML/000079.html

But it's still something that needs to be prescribed and supervised by a doctor. And I'm not sure whether it's currently available in the US or not (US advos, help me out here? )

quote:
im just looking at options because i have been sexually active for a few months now and am always a bit worried about the "what if.."

In that case, your best option is to do your utmost to avoid the problem in the first place by combining two methods of contraception (e.g. condoms and the pill).

And in the unlikely event of both forms of contraception failing and you becoming pregnant - if you choose to have an abortion, then have a safe, legal, medical one.

quote:
yeah and my friend induced a miscarriage by drinking a lot of alchohol..

Another very bad idea, I'm afraid. As with other alleged methods for inducing a miscarriage, if it works at all it does so by poisoning your body so massively that it can't support a fetus. Not surprisingly, this can indeed cause you serious bodily harm.

And in fact, as far as I know drinking a lot of alcohol is more likely to result not in a miscarriage but a baby born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (which causes lifelong disablities).

[eeep! mindmeld! ]

[This message has been edited by logic_grrl (edited 10-29-2002).]

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can indeed induce abortion by ingesting certain plants. You can also bring seriously damage your embryo, and *not* abort, and cause yourself serious damage, or even kill yourself. If you are pregnant and want to end that pregnancy you need to see a doctor, and as soon as possible. Medical abortions are safe and legal, attempts to abort using plants are dangerous, and would need to be followed up with medical attention anyway to make sure they'd been successful. Never attempt to cause an abortion yourself

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Better living through Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, RU-486 is available in the US.

------------------
You were never no locomotive, Sunflower, you were a sunflower!
-Allen Ginsberg

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.