Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question
tigress
Activist
Member # 9461

Icon 5 posted      Profile for tigress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
***I did a search and maybe I'm not doing it right but I didn't come up with the exact answer I was looking for***

My question is, what exactly is spotting and how long does it usually last?

Thanks.

Posts: 119 | From: SoRoa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
echo
Neophyte
Member # 7002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for echo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spotting is very light bleeding(usually brownish instead of red)that can happen either day before or after your period-or if you missed a birth control pill. For me at least, spotting has only lasted a day or two.

------------------
the right selection will protect your erection

Posts: 14 | From: No.Cal | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigress
Activist
Member # 9461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tigress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about spotting as a pregnancy symptom?
Posts: 119 | From: SoRoa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there are two common kidns of spotting.

Spotting as Echo described is hormonally driven. when certain hormones fall below a certain level, your uterus sheds a little. this is spotting and it lasts only a day or two. in some cases, a little more. but if it's really prolonged, there's something wrong.

The spotting related to pregnancy is called breakthrough bleeding. It occurs when the fertilized cell mass (at this stage called a morula) implants in the uterus and starts burrowing into the blood vessel-rich wall. This tears some of the blood vessels, so a little blood is shed, and hence, spotting. Ths will only last a day or two as well. And it occurs several days after the actual sexual encouter. So it is not wise to wait for breakthrough bleeding before trying to get emergency contraception because it is long after the suggested 72-hour window.

------------------
"Things are only fragile till they break."

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigress
Activist
Member # 9461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tigress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What if you spot (or bleed very very lightly) for about a week when you're supposed to have your period? Is that normal?
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not really. it sounds like you're having a super-light period. i don't remember if you were taking any birth control or if you had talked ot your doc. please elaborate?

------------------

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigress
Activist
Member # 9461

Well my mom has a friend who is a gyno, so she asked her friend and they said that it was okay because I'm still young (something about hormones and junk) and I've been playing sports vigorously for the past few months.

My mom's friend asked me if there was any chance I could be pregnant, and there isn't if your flowcharts are correct (I looked at them to determine my risk which was like zilch). So I'm hoping I'll get my period next month as usual, but I've just been real stressed out about this since I've never missed a period in the two years I've had it. Maybe I'm just worrying my period away?

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sports are pretty taxing on your body, and the stress isn't helping either. you've only had your period for two years, so for all intents and purposes, your body is still pretty new to the game. all of this added together pretty much likely contribute your spotting/light period.

so what to do? ease up on yourself. do your best to stay well-nourished and relaxed. things should return to normal soon enough. if they don't (in a few months or so) definitely ask to see the gynecologist again and see if there might not be some better way to fix your period.

------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.