Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Wanting a baby TO YOUNG

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wanting a baby TO YOUNG
Angel_Kisses
Activist
Member # 7964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel_Kisses     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Me and my bestfriend Mafia are wanting a baby ( not together)
Me and her have been friends for like 9 years and this is a very OPEN subject in our friendship..I can bet you have talked about having kids like 100000000000000 times..
This morning me and her were talking and I said I wnat to have a baby and she said I know me too.. She said seeing everyone else pregnant and having new borns just make me want one more and more..and I said ME TOO11
I am 15 and she is 13.. Are we normal for wanting babies so young? We have had neices and nephews at young ages.. We have seeen some of our neices being born..
I have heard that if you are exsposed to babies at a young ago it will mature ( Girls) motherly instinct to have babies sooner.. Is that true.. or are we CRAZY??
We are crazy enough that we made bet that if me or her were to get pregnant first then the other one would have to get pregnant.. We love kids.. I am not saying that we are going to run out and get pregnant or anything..
Thanks
A_K

Posts: 52 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum10/HTML/000300.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum10/HTML/000267.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum10/HTML/000269.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum10/HTML/000295.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum10/HTML/000095.html

Here are a few threads that should start you off. There's a big difference between simply wanting to have babies (a lot of young girls do) and actually having one. There's also a **HUMONGOUS** difference between being surrounded by siblings, nieces, nephews, and babysitting every afternoon versus having your ownchild. It's a huge responsibility -- that should go without saying. It's also a strain on your body (pregnancy can be taxing), and a strain on your wallet (babies don't come cheap!).

It's okay to want a baby. But please, for your sake, and the sake of any cihldren you may have in the future, know what you're getting into. Read the threads discussing a day in the life of a young parent. Read about how to discuss parenting with partners. And go to the store and check out the price of baby supplies and think about whether you are financially able to support a child.

It's a lot to think about, so go in as informed as possible

------------------
"I am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t....I mean s-m-A-r-t." Homer J. Simpson
"Mmm ... floor pie!" Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you considered spending more time with your nieces and nephews to help you get your "baby fix?" Or volunteering at child care centers, or babysitting, or doing other things with kids? That lets you be around babies, and get a lot of loving in (which is good for the kids, and good for you), without you having to actually have one right now.

It sounds like you two would make a fantastic tag-team child care organization.

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ErinK, your babysitting comment made me think of something my sister once said. My younger sister used to babysit once a week for me, while I attended classes. She said he (my son) was the best reminder for birth control. All kinds of friends around her want babies, and so did she, and then every week she got to deal with a very cranky/colicky baby. It made me happy that I could at least show one person how hard this is, and maybe keep her from making a mistake she might regret later. My sister also said babysitting my son gave her "her baby fixes".

Babysit a newborn, it changes your whole view on babies!!

[This message has been edited by Insane (edited 01-03-2003).]

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygurl13
Neophyte
Member # 10363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babygurl13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As evryone else said wanting a baby is not the same as having a baby...being pregnant itself isnt a walk in the park..trust me i know as i am 5 months pregnant myself..not to be mean but i really dont reccomend it right now..the things that you have to deal with during pregnancy isnt just extra weight...there is morning sickness which is a major pain in the arse at times..there is also the matter of having to pee every 5 minutes i cant get through my morning lessons for an hour without having to pee once...then there are the stares that I recieve while walking down the street..and my back will hurt every once in awhile... also this baby will require alot of time..how are you going to afford to take care of it?babies cost money(diapers bottles clothes etc)...Also how will you finish school?.....some things to think about..please know what you are getting into before you get into it.........hope this helps...

Posts: 32 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessica161986
Activist
Member # 10961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessica161986     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i would wait to have a baby!!!it is not as easy as it looks!!trust me i know,i am 16 and a mother of a 4 1/2 mos.old and it wasn't a planned pregnancy either!!!i have been with the father 2 1/2 yrs.though!i always wanted babies when i was like 13,,i thought it would be so kewl to have a baby cus there so cute and fun to play!!well untill i brought home one of the dolls from child development class where i had it for 3 days and it cried every 2-3 hrs and you had to feed it!!thats when i changed my mine!!but i wasn't so carefull and i got pregnant at 15!!and you get cramps,morning sickness,backaches,swelling you name it you got it!!the only part i liked was when my baby girl kicked!!then not only that then it gets worse you gotta go through LABOR!!not fun.but it was all worth it!i would suggest take one of those dolls home and see if it changes your mind...i really regret having a baby at this age now!!!it is very hard!you have to feed them every 3-4hrs,,,change them get up with them in the middle of the nite even if you don't want to (sometime i am so tired i drag the next cus i am exausted)but my mother helps alot!!you have to buy them whatever they need!!you need ajob to support that baby and they depend on you till there 18 and you have to take care of them till then!!!i would suggest waiting till you at are settled down and older!its not fun and games when you have a baby of your own!! its a job!!maybe you could babysitt some babies..or volunteer in a daycare!!its alot easier to play with it and give it back than have one of your own!!
*jess*

Posts: 42 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
britt0285
Activist
Member # 11036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for britt0285     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mom had me when she was 16 and it was really hard for her at first. But my grandparents helped her a lot and she was able to finish high school but going to college wasn't so easy. My mom is a very intelligent person and she had to stay and go to a community college because she was mommy she couldn't go off to a university. She also missed out on experiences your supposed to have when you are young. Like trips to Cancun with the girls. Or being able to live on her own and only having to worry about herself. I know that she wouldn't trade her life now for anything because we have a really good relationship and she is a very loving mother. But think about all the stuff you could miss out on before you decide to have a baby.
Posts: 87 | From: TX | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrylipbalm
Neophyte
Member # 11498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cherrylipbalm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, there is a big difference between wanting and having one! I am totally obsessed with it! I love looking at baby things..baby pictures..pregnancy stuff..etc! But i dont really and honestly want one in this time of my life..i think all girls fantasize about having a baby and what it will look like..etc!

------------------
Scarlett

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.