Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » When is the right time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When is the right time
cassandra
Activist
Member # 8802

Icon 5 posted      Profile for cassandra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi i just wana say that this is a brilliant website and it had answered many of my questions but i need to know this......when is the best time to have sex with my boyfriend with the least chances of getting pregnant. Its not that im unprotected or anything like that its just that we are a bit nervous. Please mail back.
Posts: 97 | From: Great Britain | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody can tell you when you are least likely to get pregnant in terms of days. This is because, even if you have a very regular menstrual cycle, the timing of ovulation can vary a lot from cycle to cycle (and everyone's cycle is different).

The time you are most likely to get pregnant is around ovulation - specifically, in the five days before it and two days after it (since sperm can survive in the body for up to five days - and in a few cases, have been known to survive for longer).

But unless you have a very regular cycle and are practising the "fertility awareness method" (which includes taking your basal body temperature every day and monitoring your cervical mucus), it's impossible to predict with any accuracy when you are ovulating. And trying to guess is not a good idea.

So your best bet is to make sure that you are using an effective method of contraception. I recommend that you check out Scarleteen's article on birth control at http://www.scarleteen.com/reproduction/birthcontrol.html , which gives information on different forms of contraception.

If you're using an effective method of contraception and practising safer sex - for example, taking the pill and using condoms - then the timing in your cycle is not going to make a significant difference.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelicmadrigal
Activist
Member # 8854

Icon 2 posted      Profile for angelicmadrigal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My suggestion is don't even BOTHER worrying about it. The whole "Rhythm method" is a bust. It was a ridiculous idea in the first place, and isn't going to cause you anything but stress and a sore brain from trying to figure it out.

If your using other mehtods of bc I'd say just forget about it.

Posts: 100 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.