Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » ovulation and pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ovulation and pregnancy
jelly_bean
Neophyte
Member # 8429

Icon 5 posted      Profile for jelly_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the other day i had sex with my boyfriend who was using a condom but i feel that i might be pregnant. but just yesterday i noticed some discharge that usually indicates that i might be ovulating. so can someone ovulate and be pregnant at the same time?
Posts: 10 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, you cannot ovulate and be pregnant at the same time.

It is possible to have intercourse, ovulate a few days later, and then concieve, however.

If you're using a condom and it didn't break, there's no reason for you to be paranoid unless there's something your not mentioning, maybe?

------------------
Hope this helps,
--Bri

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Thang
Activist
Member # 5508

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Miss Thang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be so sure that the discharge you usually get indicates that you're ovulating. It very well could, but I wouldn't rely on it when there's pregnancy at stake here. Take a pregnancy test in a couple weeks and be sure. And keep it safe always. Condom=Good. Condom+the Pill= Real Good!
Posts: 211 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momomo
Activist
Member # 8636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momomo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how do u feel your pregnant? (sorry im just wondering cuz im worried...)
Posts: 273 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only way to know FOR SURE that you're pregnant is to take a pregnancy test. Since "symptoms" of early pregnancy can really be symptoms of any number of conditions, the only way to be sure is to take a pregnancy test, which you can do ten days after an incident or as soon as you miss your period.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I wouldn't be too sure that you know when you're ovulating unless:

a) you've been menstruating for more than five years;
b) your cycle is completely regular; and
c) you're monitoring your cervical mucus, taking your temperature daily and charting it, and all the other complicated things that make up "fertility awareness".

Ovulation can actually be a very unpredictable thing, and your discharge can vary for lots of different reasons. So it's not really a good idea to jump to conclusions about it.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Icon 5 posted      Profile for kindascared     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering: the above post says that you cant be sure when you are ovulating unless you have been menstrating for more than five years. DOes this mean that women who have had thire period can generally go by the 14th day before your period starts? Cause I have a subscription to cosmopolitian magazine, and i was reading an article about most fertile times, and it said that you can generally go by the "14th day thing" but this magazine is also aimed at an older crowd than scarleteen is, so being that I have been menestrating for about 7-8 years, can I kinda go by the 14th day?
Posts: 127 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here's the schtick about that (and FYI? Cosmo isn't a good source for accurate information on ANYTHING).

One can only do the 14-day-number looking at the cycle that has PASSED. In other words, if I just started my period today, I could count back 14 days and estimate that it is very *likely* I ovulated 14 days before. But without charting regular cycles, that tells me zippo about when I'll ovulate in the next cycle. Moreover, a small number of women ovulate more than once in a cycle, so that leaves them out.

If you want to know when you ovulate, you're going to have to do more work than just counting backwards in a given cycle: you'll need to at least monitor your cervical mucus every day of every cycle, ongoing, and in addition for more accuracy, take your basal remp every morning and chart it. And yep: if you've had your period for seven years, you can start charting -- not counting and guessing -- now.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Icon 10 posted      Profile for kindascared     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im really sorry about so many question, but yall are always so great about it! Im on the pill and I have been for about 3 1/2 years, so I really cant chart mucus and temperature, because I dont ovulate, right? SO I am asking for imformational purposes and I will know when I start trying for a child a long, long time from now : how would you chart cervical mucus and what is teh difference between temp and basal temp and what happens to the temp of a woman! Does it rise, fall,.. and by how much?
Posts: 127 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Icon 10 posted      Profile for kindascared     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that yall work on a volenteer basis, and Im not trying to rush u,I was just wondering if someone could get back to me on this, I am relly curious about the differences in basal and regualer temp, where to take the temp and what to look for in temperature and so on..Thanks so much! (I have tried searching the net, but can find any details)
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry this got lost in the shuffle.

There are LOADS of really good books to be found right at your local library which are very specific about all aspects of charting. We are overdue for an article on that, but I don't have time to write one right now, so the best I can do is an overview. if you want more information, just go ahead and get to the library or book store and have a look around. "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Wexler, for instance, is a longstanding classic on this, and very easy to find.

In short:
Per cervical mucus: During every menstrual cycle, mucus changes pretty noticeably. During times when a woman is not likely, or unlikely to become pregnant, mucus tends to be either very scant -- the term for those days are "dry" days -- or very thick and pasty, usually white or yellow. During times when a woman is most likely to be most fertile, it become the consistency of egg white: very fluid and kinda stretchy. Mucus at the absolute most fertile time is also clear in color.

Per basal temperature: Basal temp, or BBT, is taken by inserting a basal thermometer -- most pharmacies carry them -- a few centimeters into the vagina, every day, right upon waking. Just after fertile times, a woman's basal temperature will generally rise and stay elevated -- and we're talking by very, very small degrees of difference, about .02 from the BBT in the first half of the cycle -- until she menstruates. When she sees that rise, she will then know she did ovulate that cycle.

BOTH these pieces of information are gleaned mainly after the fact. In other words, one charts over time to establish a pattern, and then, if a woman wants to conceive, she will be timing her intercourse or insemination based on predictions made by previous patterns. With BBT, once you see the rise, it's too late that cycle. With mucus, once you get the egg-white mucus, you've also generally missed the window. That's why charting is about predicting patterns.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.