Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Auntyhood

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Auntyhood
Claire
Activist
Member # 1548

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Claire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there,
in about three months im going to become and aunty and i was just wondering what i do... im uncertain about my place in the whole thing.
my mum is kind of telling me i shouldn't be too involved but when i think of my aunts and uncles theyve basically always been there for me.. i dont know.
just asking.
thank u
Claire

Posts: 82 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that you should be involved with you prospective nephew/niece just as much as you and the prospective parents want you to be. from your perspective, you will gain a lot of knowledge about the wants and needs of an infant/child and of the responsibilities of parenthood without the total commitment of a parent. The child will gain a close adult friend who is not a parent. This can be very valuable to him/her as the child grows. Being an aunt is a great priviledge. Don't hesitate to embrace it!

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm an "honorary" auntie to my best friend's baby, and I love it. I see her (the baby, and usually her parents) about twice a week and we romp on the floor and hug and giggle and play "I'm gonna getcha!" (me and the baby, that is...her parents just look on in amusement.) She's almost a year old now and I haven't been this close to a baby since I was 6 and my sister was born, so I'm having the time of my life.

I agree with Bobo that you should be as involved as you and the parents are comfortable with. One thing to remember, though, is that the parents should have final say in just about everything, from whether the baby can have some Cheerios to when it's baby's bedtime. It's important for them to be the authority figures, and it's good for them and the baby to know that you respect the way they are raising their child.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Moonlight:
One thing to remember, though, is that the parents should have final say in just about everything, from whether the baby can have some Cheerios to when it's baby's bedtime. It's important for them to be the authority figures, and it's good for them and the baby to know that you respect the way they are raising their child.

I cannot agree more on this -- it's extremely frustrating when aunts/uncles/grandparents/friends/strangers in the supermarket try to make parenting decisions for the child.

But it's wonderful when said people support the parents' decisions. Congratulations!

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, i'm an aunty, and an honorary aunty to a few babies. because i don't live near any of them, i only get to dote on the occasional visit and send gifts (gives me an excuse to shop at FAO Schwartz). but i look after the kids when asked to do so, and i definitely let the parents be parents.

------------------
oh, don't even po-mo me, baby...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so excited! I just found out that I am (FINALLY) an aunt!

My fiance's sister just had a little boy, 6 days overdue, so we have spent the last week jumping every time the phone rang.

But got the phone call about 3 hours ago (about 8 am, our time, on Sept 19), so we can finally relax.

Sigh, I'm so proud you'd think I had some part to play in it!

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confused333
Activist
Member # 6450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confused333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww thats great! I have a niece and nephew and I've been an aunt for about eight years! Ever since I was eight. And my sister is an aunt and her niece is older than her! How crazy is that?!

------------------
Why does a rose represent love, when a rose always dies??

Friends are like condoms, they help out when things get hard.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself!!!

Posts: 473 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.