Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » pregnancy and medications...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnancy and medications...
latina
Neophyte
Member # 6020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for latina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI, i'm pregnant, adn have been having very bad symptoms, one of these are headaches. i have two questions, one, i know i'm not supposed to take any medications for pain, but is there any medicatiion i can take? two, why exactly is it tht when you are prgnant, you shuldn't take them? thank-you
Posts: 6 | From: willis,tx,usa | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Headaches during pregnancy are not something to be taken lightly. They can signal Pregnancy Induced Hypertension (among a host of other complications) which puts the mother at risk for delivering an unhealthy baby.

When I was pregnant almost 2 years ago, here's what my OB said. Tylenol is safe to take during pregnancy for minor aches and pains, but ONLY Tylenol, and ONLY in small doses (1 to 2 tablets). No Ibuprofin, no Asprin, no Aleve.

The reason many medications are off-limits during pregnancy is they have been shown to cause birth defects, stillbirths, and miscarriages in lab rats. The placenta does not filter out these or any other sort of drug, and when you take medications, your baby gets a strong dose of the medication too.

If you aren't already seeing a doctor on a monthly/bi-monthly (depending on how far along you are) basis for prenatal care, you need to start TODAY. I cannot stress enough how important this is.

Tell your doctor about your headaches, and describe exactly what they feel like. Keep a log of how they feel and how often they occur to share with your doctor at your next prenatal visit.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.