Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Homework Help - No, Seriously

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Homework Help - No, Seriously
Girl, Interrupted
Activist
Member # 5162

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Girl, Interrupted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm taking a parenting class this year and we are currently in the middle of doing a very large project.

There are two parts I'm having difficulty with, and I thought someone in this section could help - or point me in the right direction.

Each student in my class was given a topic of controversy, mine being circumcision. I'm suppose to research it and find information on both sides. Then I have to write an opinionated essay.

Would anyone be willing to throw their opinion on circumcision at me? If anyone knows of any links, that might also be helpful.

Another topic in my project is breast feeding v.s. bottle feeding - so if any one on this board has an opinion on that - please voice it!!

I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

------------------
~Lissa

Posts: 62 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what I found when I searched the boards.

Breastfeeding:
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum10/HTML/000031.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum8/HTML/000139.html

And a topic with three pages of extremely strong opinions on Circumcision:
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum8/HTML/000116.html

There you go, have fun!

------------------
How can you not like muffins?!

This surely was the product of a twisted mind.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 4 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when i was pregnant with Aaron I did a little research on circumcision. The most helpful site i found was http://www.circlist.org - it seemed to be the most non-biased site i could find.

I really didn't know what to think about circumcision at first - i knew that most of my partners had been circumcised, and i really wondered about what the effects of it really were. My partner was all for having his son circumcised, but our main deciding factor was cost - in Ontario and the rest of Canada, healthcare is free. Circumcision, being a cosmetic surgery, is not covered by our healthcare plan.

I felt that if the government had deemed it a 'cosmetic' surgery, it meant that it wasn't necessary. I left the decision until after my son was born - and just looking at him - i knew he was perfect just the way he was.

good luck on your project!

[This message has been edited by negative*nancy (edited 10-21-2001).]

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Girl, Interrupted
Activist
Member # 5162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Girl, Interrupted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys! I'll be sure to check out those links!! I'm sure they'll be a BIG help!!

------------------
~Lissa

Posts: 62 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 12 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's a really cool site, Nancy!

Been getting some weird looks from the Timming while I've been looking over it. Gotta check it out when the boy-thing's not here. I think it makes him nervous.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com.
"Did you see my friend? He couldn't believe it, 'The girls are holding hands, the girls are holding hands!' Don't be a fool, it's 1995, the girls are just friends." --Belle and Sebastian, "Photo Jenny"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xJudy
Neophyte
Member # 5092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xJudy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Good luck on your project! I never read much about circumcision, because I have a daughter, so I can't help you there!

As far as breast vs. bottle feeding goes in my mind there is *no* question that breast feeding is the best option for mother, baby, planet and society. It saves money for the family (since it's FREE!), breastfeeding is empowering because you dont have to rely on man-made products, it helps moms lose the weight they gain during pregnancy, it is of course the healthiest option for feeding babies. Lol! Ok, enough ranting out of me! If you need some info about breastfeeding, check out: http://www.breastfeedingonline.com - there is link with advantages of breastfeeding, and bottlefeeding as well (there are very few, though ;P .. not because the site is biased or anything, there just are very FEW good reasons to bottlefeed..).
Good luck!!

------------------
Judy & baby Eska

Posts: 23 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's an interesting site Nancy, but I gotta say that I don't think it's really unbiased. I don't see any anti-circumcision info there.

For instance, I see only a list of those celebrities who chose to circumcise their kids, and I see only points that go against the 'his body, his choice' argument, nothing that supports it.

Imagine a site like this one that that tried to convince girls that their labia ought to be cut back. I'm sure it would be rightly decried.

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WebMD has some good articles on circumcision -- if you do a search on it, you'll find some that discuss the medical aspects of it, both in terms of possible risks and possible benefits.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Doe
Activist
Member # 3836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want some stuff on the anti side go to http://forum.fathermag.com/forum They seem almost obsessed on the issue, the rest of the site is pretty good though.
Posts: 475 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the site, because it doesn't lean towards either side. I found that it had information based on fact, and personal opinon, some of which had the op at a later age.

It seemed balanced to me, but without the harsh overtones of the nocirc sites i looked at.

When i was looking at circumcision sites, i felt like i was getting more the vehemence behind the emotions connected. I felt that the site i posted had more of a relaxed approach, and posted information that was valid from both sides?

maybe not.

it's just my opinion.

(FTR - i didn't have my son circumcised. i didn't feel right making a decision that was so personal to him)

[This message has been edited by negative*nancy (edited 10-27-2001).]

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Girl, Interrupted
Activist
Member # 5162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Girl, Interrupted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got 144 out of 146 on my project!

You guys rock... thanks for all the help!!

------------------
~Lissa

xJudy
Neophyte
Member # 5092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xJudy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!

------------------
Judy & baby Eska

Posts: 23 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.