Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » how do i know if he's teething?... HELP!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how do i know if he's teething?... HELP!
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a severely unhappy little man on my hands - and i'm not exactly sure why.

Today's just been a really 'off' day for him - he's been restless, doesn't seem interested in eating or sleeping much... but when i tried some cereal, he gobbled it up and promptly snoozed after.

I'm thinking this -might- be a teething thing... but i tried tylenol a few minutes ago, so we're waiting to see if it helps... but nothing seems to be soothing him right now ...

i don't know what to do!

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like it could be teething. Is he extra drooly and/or bitey?

The only thing that worked really well for Evan was to wet down a wash-cloth with very cold water and let him chew on it. Has a cooling / scrubbing effect on the gums, and it kept him hydrated when he was refusing to drink. Might be worth a try!

------------------
Attend the annual
MINNESOTA MOSQUITO FESTIVAL!
Rain or Shine, from Just Before Memorial Day to Just After Labor Day!
Free admission!!

Out of my Head.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's been drooley lately... but he's usually pretty bitey. Atleast he's not doing it during feeding anymore... ouch!

But that's not a bad thought.... i should try the washcloth...

I have some adult orajel... is this too strong for his gums?

...my grandmother's got him now... and it sounds like he's a little bit quieter...

anyhoo.. thanks!

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you should get some baby orajel. it does sound to me like he is teething. you can give him popsicles that is what i did and they would eat them all day and it really helped, and then at night i would give them tylenol and put baby orajel on their gums. it helped alot. and he probably wont eat a whole lot while he is teething unless it is something cold like ice cream or something of the sort.
Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
golden101
Activist
Member # 3133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for golden101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes i recommend the baby orajel. When my cousin went through the teething stage my aunt would use that and it seemed to help out a lot. Anything cold would help soothe, the popsicles or icecream would also help.
Posts: 227 | From: U.S.A | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

nix on the icecream and popsicles - he's only 5 months

i have icecubes of breastmilk -- maybe he'd like those?

he eventually settled down... but it was weird. I'd never seen him more wired than he was today.

I -think- it was the orajel that did the trick. He didn't seem to mind that it was adult strength, either.

thanks for the tips, guys!

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I have little hands on experience with teething babies, I know that over here, many people use cheap water filled bite rings that you can put into the fridge (on the rings it say not in the freezer, because that would be too cold) for teething kids to chew on. So how about that? Pretty much like the great washcloth advice from aria, but my guess would be that the rings might keep the temperature a little longer.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have nothin really to add except you should not be using adult strength oragel. Infant oragel is the way to go. The cool teething rings are also very good.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

I ran out today and got some baby anbesol for him. He seemed to be much appreciative.

I tried the refridgerated teething rings, but he doesn't seem to be able to get them into his mouth very well... it makes him all flustered. Although, the washcloths are a big hit... he was waving it about like a flag yesterday and laughing hysterically... it was pretty funny

Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the teething rings are the kind you fill with water yourself, that's okay, but if they come pre-filled, I'd avoid using them. Especially when they're cheaply made, liable to break, and the countries they're made in don't always have the cleanest water . . . you see where I'm going.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 12 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i see where you're going.

it's okay, though - he doesn't seem to like the teething rings, anyways.

we'll just stick to the washcloths.

he really likes to wrap his thumb in his shirt - and suck that.

i say whatever works...

broccolidiva
Activist
Member # 4409

Icon 12 posted      Profile for broccolidiva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, howdy. Remember me (vaguely) from KHP? I was the little Diva Broccoli girl who hung out in the ED forum.

Anyways, when I was a littlun, after my mum had finished a cob of corn, she'd wash it, cut it into two pieces and put in the freezer. Once it was hard and cold, she'd give it to me to gnaw on. It really helps teething, I hear.

Love,
Brocc

Posts: 66 | From: Toronto, ON, Canada | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.