Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Traveling with Baby

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Traveling with Baby
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next week, I'm taking Evan on vacation with me. This will be his first time away from home for an extended period of time; we'll be gone for a week.

Anyone have any tips for me on how to make this go as smoothly as possible? We'll be staying in hotels and with relatives, and most likely eating in family-friendly dining establishments. I checked BabyCenter for travel tips, but they weren't all that helpful. Any experienced voices out there?

------------------
"I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died."

Out of my Head.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Evan eating solids yet? If so, this is the one time my spouse reccommends baby food in a jar. Food in jars will remain sterile at ambient temperatures until the lid seal is broken. They don't need to be refridgerated.

If he is still being nursed, that is not a problem. However, I can remember a train journey to and from Montreal where my son kept thowing off the modesty towel my wife was using when he was nursing.

When you are making hotel reservations, ask for a crib. Most hotels are very willing to oblige.

This is also a good time for disposable diapers. You don't want to be carting soiled ones with you.

As far as clothing is concerned, bring with you as many changes as you would normally make for each day of your trip.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're flying, make sure you tell the airlines ahead of time. Many times, especially European lines, the lines will move you to bulkhead (or first class, if available) seating b/c there is more room for you and your baby. Lots of european and american lines have portable baby cradles that buckle onto the seat in front of you and are quite convenient for the flight.

Make sure that your child's ears don't hurt during the flight, esp since babies really have no way of telling you other than crying. I'm sure your pediatrician can recommend a light decongestant for the flight. I started flying to Italy when I was 2mo. old (dad was doing medical residency in italy, mom in new york) and my pediatrician had me take decongestants and on one rare occasion, something that made me sleepy for the flight.

Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.