Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » A belly shirt for a 4 year old? What?!?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A belly shirt for a 4 year old? What?!?
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well my oldest neice is 4 and she's the cutest thing. Right now she has her heart set on having a belly shirt and halter top. Well when she told my sister that she wanted to have one she absolutly refused it.

Now my Mom and I disagree. We think it's ok. She's only four and what is a belly shirt going to hurt. I think she would look cute in one.

Would you let your daughter wear a belly shirt or a halter top? If there really anything wrong with little girls wearing them?

------------------
Every time someone says, 'I don't believe in fairies,' one falls over dead.

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What follows is just my opinion, and shall in no way be considered Truth and Law

I always have to shake my head and sigh when I see little girls wearing things like that. A few months ago, I saw a 6 year old wearing vinyl pants and a tube top. a six year old.

The reason it makes me uncomfortable is because these clothes have a certain... well, sexy aspect to them. And sometimes, children are sexualized (did I just make up a word??) enough as it is. Not to say that children aren't sexual; they are to a degree, as I explained in the Sex Offender topic.

That said, some people may get downright offended at seeing a little girl's midriff. And in turn, they may say angry things to the parents, and the child will not understand why. And usually, in my experience anyway, when children don't understand why someone's upset, the tend to blame themselves.

If my little girl wanted a skimpy top or what-have-you, I'd consider allowing her to make her own choice about buying one, but I'd ask that she only wear it around the house. Besides, the more skin that's covered, the less skin there is to slather with sunscreen.

------------------
"I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died."

Out of my Head.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a parent, so I don't have any personal experience, but I think it would depend on the top. I think a halter top that covered the belly would be okay. As for the belly shirt,I think it depends on the shirt and what it's paired with. If it's a bandu top and you pair it with vinyl flares, it wouldn't be okay, but if it was say, a short tank top with a picture of Minnie Mouse and paired with some overalls or jeans orsomethign, then it would be okay. As long as it wasn't sexual.

I don't know, it weirds me out when I see 12 year olds dressed that way, and then I think of how I dressed when I was 12 and I think of the attention that I got for it (although I knew how to handle myself) and it just freaks me out.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

real poetry is all based on this old myth about this beautiful, scary, trippy goddess who the poet wants to possess but he always loses her to this shadowy other guy - Girl Goddess #9

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call me conservative, but I am with aria on this. Kid's clothing should be practical above all, and a midriff bearing top on a 4 year old not only strikes me as highly impractical but also as possibly putting attention where I wouldn't want it as a parent. I am not oversimplyfying things by saying that pedophiles are attracted to kids because of clothing or that clothing has anything to do with it, but I just think my future children should be kids above all, and not worry about their clothes too much and not be dressed as little adults. I keep getting associations of these kid beauty pageants, and that makes me shiver, really.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, i don't think anyone should wear those kind of clothes. I think they look bad.

And for little kids to be wearing them looks even worse to me. I would feel like i'm teaching my kid that she has to look perfect, that's usually the way that people who dress like that come across to me, no offense, i'm not saying everyone. I just think that it's not right for kids to have to dress in skimpy skintight clothing.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my daughter is 18 months old and she wears belly shirts. she looks so cute in them. now when she gets older and cant be around me all the time that will stop. right now its not hurting anything.
Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just_A_Girlll
Neophyte
Member # 4227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just_A_Girlll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally don't think little girls need to be wearing things like that but that's just my opinion.

------------------
Delwyn (17)& Michael (22)
Together Since
November 2 1999

-----------

Mum & Dad To
Brayden Michael
Born April 17th 2001

[This message has been edited by Just_A_Girlll (edited 06-21-2001).]

Posts: 3 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the fact that they even make such clothes for children is saying something... I find it slightly disturbing to see children dressed like mini adults/teenagers. In a way it's cute, but in a way I feel like it's training them way too early to be looks-obsessed.

It also seems like we're forcing an adult sexuality on them. Like Alaska, I have no question in my mind that children are sexual beings, but I believe their sexuality is of a different (more curious and innocent) type.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, personally, don't see anything wrong w/ seeing a stomach. It's only sexual if you make it sexual. And yes, older girls (teenagers) make it sexual ... little girls won't until their parents do (or older sister, cousin, TV, whatever).

------------------
When mom found my diaphram, I told her it was a bathing cap for my cat.
~ Liz Winston

In a Smurf's world ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I have to agree 100% with LilBlueSmurf. I mean, nothing is "sexual" unless we make it. I mean, come one, in nudist camps no one is thinking things like having sex with that person because of his/her look.

I'd allow my daugther to wear those kind of clothes, and when she'll be older, I'll just make her understand that.

And this also makes me think of the little girls that are kinda forced to be "beauty pageants" at like 18 months to 5-6 y/o. Yeah they look sexy but it's because that's how we consider clothes.

Just an opinion though...

David

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.