Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Post-Birth Hospital Stay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Post-Birth Hospital Stay
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We touched on this a little bit in the Tattoos topic, but I think it's important enough to deserve its own topic

As I said before, I left the hospital after 24 hours. My insurance company said I could stay 48, but the nurses didn't know that, and started the discharging process. Since I didn't want to rock the boat too much, I just went on home.

When my mother had me in 1980, she stayed in the hospital for five days. When she left, she was feeling pretty 'normal' again, we'd bonded, breastfeeding was going wonderfully, and she felt very comfortable with me. I think that's the way to go.

When I left the hospital, I'd only successfully breastfed Evan twice, and was having a lot of trouble with it. We hadn't yet bonded, and I had a little post-partum depression / "mania" (imagine seeing and hearing babies crying in the bed next to you, but they're not really there... crazy!), and I was not yet comfortable holding and caring for him. Needless to say, things didn't go very well the first few days at home.

So, what does everyone think? Are 24 to 48 hour stays sufficient, or should they be longer? How long did you moms stay at the hospital, and how did things go after you went home?

Have fun.

------------------
"I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died."

Out of my Head.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlirtieGirlie
Activist
Member # 2510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlirtieGirlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom stayed in the hospital for 4 days, mostly because I was under observation. But she said that the time she spent in the hospital was great, the nurses were very nice to her, and really helped her get the hang of breastfeeding, and basically being with a new baby. So the hospital stay really helped her, and becasue I was in there for observation, the insurance company paid for all of it!

------------------
A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a best friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "THAT WAS SO AWESOME!!"

Posts: 141 | From: The Bolton Ghetto, Mass. :-) | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my son was born 21 years ago, my spouse was in hospital for 5 days. When my nephew was born 11 years ago, my sister was in hospital 2 days and she had undergone a ceasarian.

Today, medical opinion seems to be that there is no reason to keep a mother and child in hospital for more than two days unless medical intervention is called for.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 06-07-2001).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom was in the hospital for a week. My sister just had her baby and she was in the hospital for 2 days.

I really dont think it should be longer unless, the baby, or the mother need to be watched.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also don't think there's anything wrong w/ the hospital stays ... Of course, being a midwife-to-be, what else do you expect me to say?

My mom was in the hospital for a day or two i think ... and that was in 1984. However, she left the hospital w/o me. I was 17 days late, almost 11lbs (which caused problems for the rest of my body, as my organs were too small to support me) and had ingested some sort of bed stuff .. called merconium or something to that effect. Anyway, point being ... Mom left before i did. But she didn't see a problem w/ it either.

Unless there's a problem, there's really no reason why childbirth should take place in a hospital at all.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seriously, i didn't even want to be there for the 24 hours. I was bored, and felt pretty good after being in labour for 16 hours.
Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the longest my sister stayed in the hospital was 3 days and that was with her first baby.

Her second baby she was gone within 24 hours.

Her third she had to wait 48 hours because the baby weighed 10 lbs and the nurses wanted to make sure he was getting enough milk.

------------------
Every time someone says, 'I don't believe in fairies,' one falls over dead.

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sexyhotchik01
Neophyte
Member # 4173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sexyhotchik01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom she had twins and she stayed in the hospital 2 weeks before she had them and 3 weeks after cause they were premature and shes always had problems having kids also when she left she had lice because the hospital wasn't clean....
well ~*buh byeez*~
smiles and love 2 all of u
Jessica

Posts: 14 | From: norton,Ohio,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just_A_Girlll
Neophyte
Member # 4227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just_A_Girlll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I left the hospital the day after I had Brayden ..... but he was a great baby and I had no problems with him ... he latched on first time and everything

------------------
<center>
<font face=Technical> <font size=2>
Delwyn (17) Michael (22)<BR>
Together Since <BR>
November 2 1999<BR>
<BR>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -<BR>
<BR>
<font color=cornflowerblue>
<font size=3>Mum & Dad To<BR>
<image src=http://www.mpz.co.uk/cwm/otn/angels/littleangel.gif> <BR>
<image src=http://braybraysmom.boltpages.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/brayden2months.jpg><BR>
2 Months Old
<BR>
Born April 17th 2001</font><BR>
</font> </font>
</center>

Posts: 3 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.