Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Tattoos for mom and baby

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tattoos for mom and baby
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes ... tattoos! I was just as shocked as you are.

But they are semi perminant. The main arguement is that ankle bracelets sometimes slip off ... Then you do'nt know who the baby is, and in turn who the mother is. A lot of hospital mixups happen this way.

In Australia, they've started using semi perminant tattoos (like the kinds you get in cereal boxes!) w/ pictures such as; duckies, ribbons and bottles ... all sorts of baby stuff. The baby will get one on the leg or foot area and the mother will get one on the inside of her forearm. It only lasts 5 days ... And hospital stays for most "normal" births aren't even that long (It's only 48hrs or something in Toronto ... )

I absolutely love this idea. The doctor who's come up w/ this idea says that it will not replace the bracelets, but will use them as a backup instead. Do you think it's worth it? Would you allow a nurse/doctor to place such a marking on your baby or is this an un necessary precaution?

------------------
When mom found my diaphram, I told her it was a bathing cap for my cat.
~ Liz Winston

In a Smurf's world ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, of course. definitely. they wash off with a lil bit of baby oil in fact! i think its a wonderful idea.

em

------------------
if you want to kiss the sky, you better learn how to kneel (on your knees, boy) -U2

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that's a good idea. I was always afraid in the hospital that Evan's bracelet would slip off and I'd take the wrong one home!

Here, hospital stays can be up to 48 hours, but I got the boot after 24. It's sickening, really.

------------------
"I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died."

Out of my Head.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had never thought of such a thing but it seems like a great idea. Wonder how no one came with it before. Personaly I wouldn't mind because if it's removable then it's ok, and plus it must be so cute.

David

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the boot after 24 hrs. - I was glad, though... i didn't really want to be there anyways.
Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think that it is a great idea!!! i am paranoid when it comes to my babies. i have never heard of this but i would defiately like that to be the way they do it in the states.
Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cate
Activist
Member # 3634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i saw a thing about those tattoos on tv. i think they are a great idea!

------------------
Cate!
Scarleteen Mentor

Posts: 87 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.