Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » morning sickness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: morning sickness
lostcat
Activist
Member # 3295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lostcat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm in my 6th week of pregnancy (approximately), and am suffering from horrible morning sickness. every morning, i feel extremely nauseated, and 9 times out of 10, i throw up. i told my doctor about this, and her first suggestion was that i keep crackers and water near my bed to eat when i first wake up- which didn't work.

does anyone have any home remedies for morning sickness that have worked for you or someone you know?

------------------
"i need to wash myself again to hide all the dirt and pain, 'cos i'd be scared that there's nothing underneath"- radiohead

Posts: 73 | From: chicago, il, usa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siren
Activist
Member # 3243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine suggested lemons. I don't know if it really works, but it couldn't hurt to try.

------------------
Lil Siren

Read My Thoughts...

Posts: 190 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And there's the classic ginger ale and soda biscuits. Ginger has actually been used against nausea for centuries, and seems to work in just about any form, so if I were you, I think I'd make or buy some dry ginger snaps.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about some little mints...I forget what they were called now...that are supposed to be specially formulated to reduce morning sickness. I think it kinda works along the same lines as having a mint if you're feeling nauseated normally, only stronger...but I have no idea how well it really works.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"What is the odds so long as the fire of soul is kindled..."
~Charles Dickens

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Altoids!! Is that what you were thinking of, Kitten? I used to get nausea when i started taking my birth control pills, and any kind of mint really helped.

I've had many surgeries, and in the recovery room they usually give you a few sips of gingerale (watered down) every hour. It tastes yummy and keeps you hydrated, incase you do actually vomit.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah...although those do work when I'm feeling sick...it was something they're marketing specifically for pregnancy. As soon as I get a second, I'll run a search...
Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lostcat
Activist
Member # 3295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lostcat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
milke, i took your advice and made some ginger snaps a few days ago, and it does seem to be helping i still feel sick, but i haven't been throwing up quite so much. it also seems that if i eat breakfast before i even get out of bed, that helps...

thank you though

------------------
"i need to wash myself again to hide all the dirt and pain, 'cos i'd be scared that there's nothing underneath"- radiohead

Posts: 73 | From: chicago, il, usa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.