Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » An inspiring story for you gals

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An inspiring story for you gals
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought I'd share something today, because I'm feeling very proud of my own mother right now, and it's a good story for those of you struggling at this point.

I was an accidental pregnancy my mothers very first time at bat when she was 19. Not only did I have to be induced so that my mother and father could go across the country to resist the Vietnam draft on my fathers part, not long afterwards, my paternal grandparents and my fathers younger brother got killed in an accident, so besides raising me, my mother also had to help raise my fathers two other brothers. And then my sister.

After my folks split up, my mother managed to finish her RN degree, and worked graveyard shifts at hospitals all through my childhood while supporting two kids in a time when there just weren't very many single mothers.

Years later, she also managed to help start the first HIV ward for children at the onset of the AIDS outbreak.

There's a lot of stuff in the middle there, but we had an incredibly difficult time, both interpersonally, financially, the whole nine yards. her second marriage was horrible, to a horrible man, but by the time I was in college, she'd managed to climb out of that with great difficulty.

A few years ago, my mother through long hours working furing the day and night school got her BA. She also over the last ten years found an incredible female partner who I adore, and who is a really important part of our family. So, she also finally found someone who really makes her happy.

She called me last night to tell me that she was basically offerred one of the highest positions in Public Health in a major city with a six-figure salary.

Not too shabby for a single mom who came to be at a time when they wanted to send all young pregnant girls into hidden homes, eh?

Anyway, it certainly took a while, but I find all of this very inspiring, and hope it can send an inspiring message to you folks, too.

The moral is, keep your dreams coming. It's all hard work, but it's doable. My mom did it.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Hooray to your mom, Miz S!

That's an inspiring story for anyone, really!
Pass on all the best wishes to you mom - sounds like an excellent job that she earned with lots of hard work and dedication.

Good Luck, Heather's mom!

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antonio99
Activist
Member # 2464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for antonio99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miz Scarlet

That was truly an inspiration. You know... when I think of women... I think of confidence, maturity, courage, and the determination to never give up.

These days, women are working harder... and I'm proud that they're doing their best to keep up with their potential.

Whether they're good moms or daughters or workers... they're still capable of keeping up with the hard work.

Antonio99

Posts: 208 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlirtieGirlie
Activist
Member # 2510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlirtieGirlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome, give your mom a big hug and a thank you for me.

------------------
Kids in the backseat cause accidents. Accidents in the backseats cause kids! (So be careful!) Luvs to Jeremy! Email me at Ladybug705@yahoo.com

Posts: 141 | From: The Bolton Ghetto, Mass. :-) | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heather's mom - I think you are doing such a great job. Wonderful and very inspiring.

Plus you've got such a great daughter.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.