Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Pregnant at 18 years old

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnant at 18 years old
Hanelyn
Neophyte
Member # 2545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanelyn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just found out that i am pregnant. I really did not expect this we even used protection. I'm 18 years old and a senior in High School and i have been with this babies father for 7 years. It was even the first time we had ever had sex!! I am just so scared. I mean what am i going to do! I had dreams of going to college and becoming a Adolecent Physcologist. I have a 3.9 GPA and have worked so hard for it! My Mom is very against.My Mom has always told me that if i ever got pregnant she would help and she has been very supportive. The babies father is going to get a part time job so that he can help take care of the baby and he has promised to help me raise this child together and i know that he will. I am just so scared! I never expected this to happen.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, congratulations. We're all here to support you, and you can also hop on over to www.girmom.com and www.hipmama.com (great sites) for some more.

No matter what you decide to do, keep reminding yourself that you can handle this. I'm glad to hear that you're getting support on the homefront

How far along are you?

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamaalli
Activist
Member # 1917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mamaalli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes PLEASE go to www.girlmom.com ::winks:: I am the editor over there, but it is also a kick *** site. Who says you cant go to college? If you are a senior you are about to graduate, so that's not even an issue. I am 18 and have a 2 year old son. I was my schools co-salutatorian and student of the year. I am in college, majoring in speech communication with plans to coach speech at an alternative high school. I have held a 4.0 since I started college. NO ONE can stop you from your dreams. A baby just gives you a little more determination. keep your spirits up. You CAN do this!! Have faith in yourself. Still go to whatever college you are planning on, just look into their childcare program. There are lots of great grants available to young mothers to pay for childcare. AND most colleges have the BEST daycares around, since they are staffed by the child development students, and parents are often encourgaged to volunteer. Have faith!! I believe in you, believe in yourself. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. You will be an excellent mother and you will continue to be an excellent student.

You can do anything

Remember: You are a mother, NOT a stereotype!! Email me anytime, I would love to talk

allison@girlmom.com

Posts: 85 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am 19 and i have a 4 year old and a 1 year old and i am about to go to school too. the only reason im not going now is because i wanted to be at home with my kds for a while. since i need a job now i am going to go to school parttime. either way, no matter what i am going to get an education because i have to. i am doing it for my kids as well as for myself. you can do it too. all you have to do is want to. goodluck with everything, i hope you keep us updated on everything.

------------------
fairykoger@hotmail.com

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/koger

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hanelyn, Congrats and Welcome to the Boards! Glad you found your way here!

Just as Aria put it - you can handle this! I am sure you will get through this and come out stronger than you ever thought you could be! Everyone here at Scarleteen will be there for you and will help if we can. Good that your mom supports you....

Wishing you all the best and sending positive vibes your way,
Alaska

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Alaska said, welcome to the boards and you can bet you'll find lots of support here.

As the many teen mums here will testify, being pregnant and having a child does not mean the end of your dreams and aspirations.

I think it's great that your mum and your bf are being so supportive of your pregnancy and I hope everything works out for you.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skittles
Activist
Member # 1600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skittles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just turned 18 last week and I have 8 months old twins as of February 17th.

I'm glad to hear you have a supportive mother, as I do.

We're all here for you. It kind of makes you feel better knowing there's a whole group of supportive people out there!

------------------
Peace, love, empathy
Melissa

Posts: 68 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MeRcY *
Neophyte
Member # 2256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MeRcY *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This might not encourage you but it's definitely meant to try.

One of my friends is 18 and she's almost 8 months pregnant. She's in college, though. She attended college up until her 5th month and then she moved back in with her parents. She's going to have the baby and then go to a community college for a year or two to get back into things and then continue at the college she started at. You can definitely go to college and get a great education! Since you've been with your boyfriend for 7 years, I'm sure he's very supportive. I hope everything goes well with the baby and I really hope you decide to go to college!

Posts: 2 | From: IL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~KandyKiss69~
Activist
Member # 3052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~KandyKiss69~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi... Well... Im glad that this baby has such great responsible parents... Just think, at least you arent alone, and your bf is WONDERFUL wanting to support this baby. I give you all my support too.

------------------
Shine, make em wonder whatcha got!-Newsboys
(((Kristine)))

Posts: 66 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hanelyn, hon, how's your pregnancy going? Still everything going well? Hope you're still getting all the support you need.

Alaska

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Hanelyn !

I must say that when I was younger I always thought of having my first child at 18 but now that I'm nearly that age I realise that I wouldn't be able to raise a child at this age.

So I give you my best wishes and hope everything will go fine for you. Also, congratulate your bf for me, he's a courageous and responsible man.

Cheers and hope to hear from you soon !
David

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you conpletely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanelyn
Neophyte
Member # 2545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanelyn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone thanks for replying i am now about 3 months pregnant and i was feeling a lot better about this till i got a letter in the mail. It was from the University Of Pennsylvania. I had always wanted to go there but i wasn't sure if i could get in. Well turned out i was right i didn't get accepted to that school but i did get into Georgetown University. I am very happy about getting into Georgetown and this is the least of my worries but i just wanted to get into U OF PA thats all. Probably sounds kinda stupid huh? I mean i'm not even sure if will get to start college this September, but i will go to college sometime. Well my boyfriend and I(with the help of our family and friends opinions lol) have picked out some names for the baby. The names aren't final so they might still change . If the babies a girl the names are Riley Brooke(or Brooke Riley not sure which one)or Marissa Elizabeth. If the babies a boy the name will be Jordan (not sure of a middle name yet). We are still very open to suggestions.
Thanks- Hanelyn

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joryuu
Neophyte
Member # 2329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joryuu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Hanelyn! Don't feel too bad about the UPenn thing, although I know that college rejection stuff can be quite difficult

Two baby names that I absolutely adore are Eden (for a girl) and Noah (for a boy). Yes, I have no clue if you like either of those, but I sure do The names you guys have picked out are quite cool, though. Why couldn't my parents have named me something cool like that?

------------------
-zarah.
karma police, arrest this girl

Posts: 19 | From: in between the moon & you | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siren
Activist
Member # 3243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad everything's going well for you Hanelyn. I know how it feels to not get accepted to the university of your choice, but I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time where you will be going. Everything happens for a reason.

And I'm glad you're feeling better about the baby, I'm sure he or she will bring sooo much joy to your life. I think you're very lucky and I wish you lots and lots of luck.

------------------
Lil Siren

Posts: 190 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanelyn
Neophyte
Member # 2545

Thanks guys i really wish i could just go back in time. I guess i shouldn't of had sex. I'm going to tell my child not to have sex until he/she is ready to deal with the consequences of what might happen. My Mom and Dad say they will help out and make sure that i do get to college. i feel like such a nuisance. I know i'm their daughter but they shouldn't have to help me with my child or worry about me. Especially since i should be going off to college now and leaving home. It's my mistake and they shouldn't have to pay for it .
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Know what Hanelyn?

In most cultures, people live in extended families, and it is considered normal and healthy for your family to help you with your pregnancy and child. And in fact, all of the children I know who were raised in more extended families were usually really a little more secure than those raised in isolated ones.

So, cut yourself some slack. Especially since grandparents usually WANT to help out and be involved.

Besides, they're not offerring to help you with your mistake. That part is over, and it's done. They're offerring to help with your *child.*

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 04-13-2001).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.