Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Breastfeeding (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Breastfeeding
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a topic about public breastfeeding in another forum, and it got me wondering about peoples' opinions about breastfeeding in general. Did you do it? Will you do it?

Myself, I breastfed Evan for a little more than a month. I started to really resent it, and would absolutely dread when he'd wake up to be fed. I also had some trouble with bonding at first, and my absolute hatred for breastfeeding didn't help things along at all. So after a lot of thought, I talked to his pediatrician and asked if I could start bottle-feeding him. He gave his permission and support, and I fed Evan expressed breastmilk until October and formula from then until now. Now feeding him is one of my favorite things to do, and I love being able to share it with my mother and my boyfriend. Evan has already doubled his birth weight and is 25% longer than he was at birth, and in perfect health. I feel bad for not breastfeeding sometimes, but then I look back upon the horrible feelings I had and realize that I've made the right decision.
I think breastfeeding is great if you're comfortable with it and it should be at least *tried* from the start. The colostrum that a baby gets from breastfeeding in the first 24 hours of life are wonderful for its fragile immune system.

Your turn!

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I need my conscience to keep watch over me
To protect me from myself
So I can wear honesty like a crown on my head
When I walk into the promised land

Aria of Mayhem

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
to tell you the truth - i'm really excited about breastfeeding. Okay - so i'm not experienced in this just yet, but it just seems like such a wonderful way to bond with my coming son. That's what my boobs were meant for, right?

I dunno, call me weird. I'm all down with it.

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think breastfeeding is great. i didnt do it with either of my kids but some of my friends breastfed. i think that its nice as long as you are comfortable with it and it is your choice. i couldnt have breastfed if i wanted to, both of my kids were premature and had to have special formula. they had to stay in the hospital after they were born so i didnt get the chance to hold them or anything for a while. so it was out of the question for me. but but more power to all the breastfeeding mothers and mothers-to-be.

------------------
fairykoger@hotmail.com

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/koger

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamaalli
Activist
Member # 1917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mamaalli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
breastfeeding is great! Oh.,..the countless benefits. Shall I list them all?
1. you lose weight faster
2. its free
3. never have to get up and make a bottle at 2 am
4. always ready
5. baby is never allergic
6. enhances babies immunity
7. decreases moms chances of breast, cervical, ovarian and uterine
8. helps contract uterus to pre-baby size
9. its the way nature intended!
10. helps enhance mother/baby bond

for more reasons check out www.promom.org or www.breastfeeding.com

for the record, my two year and one month old son nursed for the last time last sunday night. So, it's been a week and a day. Even though I encouraged and facilitated the weaning, it is very sad. Nursing was a big part of our mother/son relationship for 2 years and now it is over. No more baby :*( But, alas, I was ready for that, and time moves on. He is still pretty sad, each night he has asked "pease milk and noos, mama?" quietly and I say "no, honey, mama can't give you milk and nurse anymore. Would you like a bottle" and he nods and says "yah, a baba" and we cuddle up and rock and sing.

I would never force a baby under 1 and a half to wean, ever. Personally. The American Academy of Pediatrics says to nurse at LEAST 1 year and as long there after as you can. The World Health Organization (the WHO) says a MINIMUM two years for optimum health.

HUMAN MILK FOR HUMAN BABIES!!

Posts: 85 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamaalli
Activist
Member # 1917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mamaalli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
make that
"decreases moms chances of breast, ovarian, uterine and cervical CANCER"

Posts: 85 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skittles
Activist
Member # 1600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skittles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bottle fed my twins. I probably would have breastfeed if I had had ONE baby, because of all the benifits, and I know it's possible to breastfeed twins but I figured it would just be easier for me.

I was bottlefed myself. My mom didn't produce any milk for the first 2 months of my life! lol!

As for public breastfeeding I'm all for it! They're just breasts, just nipples. Not a big deal. Someone can eat an apple in public, so what's wrong with public breastfeeding? Nothing! As for those "friendly breastfeeding stations" those suck! Who wants to sit in a little booth? Not me!

------------------
Peace, love, empathy
Melissa

[This message has been edited by Skittles (edited 12-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Skittles (edited 12-24-2000).]

Posts: 68 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this isn't connected at all but ...

I heard on the news that there was a 6 yr old boy that was still being breastfed by his mom. I don't have a baby or anything yet, but i always thought that 6 months was long enough ... I would want to breastfeed b/c it's something you can do w/ your baby that no one else can ... so it helps the mother/baby bond!! I would, for sure, when i do decide to have kids. Definately not for six yrs tho!!

~ Smurfy

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bahremu
Neophyte
Member # 1165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bahremu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Babies are never alergic? That's not what my daughter said when she was about 3 months old. My lil girl (almost 2 now) was alergic to both breastmilk and regular formula. Her mother and I had to put her on Soy formula (as per the doctors instructions of course).
Posts: 25 | From: Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamaalli
Activist
Member # 1917

did YOU cut out dairy. If she could handle formula, then it seems like the obvious culprut is dairy. Many moms THINK that their babies are allergic to THEIR milk when the reality is that something they are ingesting is upsetting the baby. My son is also allergic to dairy, and all I had to do was cut it out of my diet.

on the same token, many mothers also mistakenly believe that they arent producing milk when, in fact, they are.

for more info check out www.breastfeeding.com, www.bestfed.com, and www.lalecheleague.org

Happy nursing!

Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All right, I have to rant for a little bit. I ran into one of my many friends with a new baby in the restroom of the mall, and she was breastfeeding. Evan started getting hungry, so I made him a bottle, and my friend just had a fit! She said things like, how could you do that to your baby, and, i'm surprised your baby isn't sick, and, how are you going to prevent illnesses, and, over and over, WHY THE H*** ARENT YOU BREASTFEEDING?!? So I told her that:

*I hated it.
*I couldn't breastfeed and go to school at the same time.
*My baby is damn healthy, thank you very much.
*It's too late for me to start breastfeeding again, anyway.
and finally,
*It's none of your business, anyway.

I ended up leaving. So here's what's been just eating at my mind since the encounter. Why must people be so damned pushy about breastfeeding? Yes, I've heard that it's the best thing for the baby's health. Yes, I know that it *CAN* strengthen the maternal bond. I know all of these things, you hear them over and over at doctor visits and online and pretty much everywhere you turn. And still I don't care. He's healthy. He's happy. He's growing. I'm happy. I love him dearly. And so... how does that make me a terrible person and mother?

Really. If the mother and baby are happy and healthy, that's all that matters.

That's the end of my rant. Rock on breastfeeders, rock on bottlefeeders, you're BOTH doing the best thing you can do for your baby; LOVING IT.

------------------

Aria of Mayhem

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilentAngel
Neophyte
Member # 2244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilentAngel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I woulda punched her out and told her to stop whining. But that's just me.

I don't really like the idea of breastfeeding. Since I'm such a shy person I'd never do it when I was out and probably not if I was in the house either. It just sorta looks weird. I don't wanna have children anyways. I probably couldn't meet the demands. But I'm only 16 so who knows if my mind will change about that.

Posts: 10 | From: F.W.B.,Florida,United States | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamaalli
Activist
Member # 1917

I am sorry that happened to you. I like to advocate breastfeeding to non-moms and pregnant mamas. But if a mom chooses to bottle feed or can't nurse, far be it for me to say another word. Yah, it IS best for the baby, but it is still YOUR BODY. Which makes it YOUR CHOICE.

Good for you for doing what is best for YOU and YOUR baby! Don't let rude comments get you down.

Silent Angel...It is not weird at all After all, THAT is what they are there for and for most moms, the demans aren't all that great. Personally, I couldn't meet the demands of bottle feeding. All that washing, mixing, heating, getting up. I just had to lift my shirt and it was ready to go!

Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was breastfed until I was about two, when my mother got pregnant again, and I can remember doing it (in the bathtub, she found it easiest to bathe me when she bathed herself, and I guess I happened to be hungry on one of those occasions. I can also remember the scent of it (a bit like patchouli, really), and know I'm one of the few people I know without allergies, asthma, or other such immune disorders. So I guess I consider myself evidence of the goodness of breastfeeding. It really is the best way, but sometimes things just don't work out, which very simply, sucks, but when that happens you still have to do something. So bottlefeeding comes in. It's not perfect, but it, and variations on it, have been used for centuries when breastfeeding was impracticable, and it does still work.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamaalli
Activist
Member # 1917

I nursed my son until last month (he turned two in November) and I hope he has sweet memories like that. That is so nice made me smile...

I nursed until I was 15 months, and self-weaned. Everyone in my family nurses, I would feel weird if I DIDN'T!

Cade still comes up and puts his hands on my chest and says "that's myuk and noos. Babies love myuk and noos. love myuk. love mama." and rests his head. Myuk and noos means milk and nurse, which is what he calls my breasts and nursing. He calls everyone elses chest "BOOBS!" which I am sure he learned from his father. I say "yes, but we use the word breasts. Say breasts or chest instead please." He says "NO! BOOBS!"

siadreamsp
Neophyte
Member # 1265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for siadreamsp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When i have kids i am going to breastfeed, but i am not going to do it in public. I tis a beautiful thing that i shouldn't share with the whole world. and i do think it makes people around you feel uncomfortable.
Posts: 15 | From: Cave Creek Az | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamaalli
Activist
Member # 1917

lol. Just you wait...I respect that choice, but babies don't care if you are at home in bed or in the most crowded mall in America. When they are hungry they are hungry NOW! I wasn't going to nurse in public either...until the first time I went IN public and realized I had no choice. LOL.

Whatever makes you happy though. I do think it is other peoples problem if they feel "uncomfortable." So what? Its just a breast, and it is MADE for feeding babies. Its the oversexualization of the breast, in the media and in society in general. Besides...most people would be ALOT more uncomfortable listening to a hungry baby screaming his or her head off.

Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

What about feeding a baby expressed milk in a bottle? Does that count as breastfeeding or bottle-feeding?

------------------

Aria of Mayhem

mamaalli
Activist
Member # 1917

it depends. ONLY drinking expressed milk from bottles? I would consider that bottle feeding. Some of the nutrients are lost in the freezing/heating process, and many of the benefits of breastfeeding lie in the breast to baby contact. However I think if you nurse from the breast at all it is considered "breastfeeding" and any bottles are supplemental.
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friend who is pregnant decided that she is not going to breast feed because it would be weird to have something sucking on her "*** ." I think a problem some women might have is looking at the breast as a purely sexual organ when thats not what its primary funtion is at all! If you dont want to breast feed a baby because you look at it from a sexual point of view i think that is very sad for the baby and for you. But that is just my opinion
Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
concubine
Neophyte
Member # 2552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for concubine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I try not to go out when I know Surreal will get hungry, but kids get hungry. I've nursed in public, but its not like your exposing yourself to the world.. I keep a blanket over me.. The only reason we actually have breasts is for feeding our children, but yes, the sexual aspect is nice too.My doctor said that breastfeeding for the first 2 years benefits a child *extremely*, but they recommend at least the first year.

Some babies wont take milk from a bottle. My daughter will take juice (which we only give her if she refuses milk when I'm going to be gone for hours) from a bottle, but not breastmilk. If its not attached to mom, she doesn't want it. I was told to introduce a bottle within the first 8 weeks, or she'd be much less likely to take one, and I waited, and she doesnt like them much. She'd prefer to scream her head off.

We (my fiancee and I) cosleep too, so it makes 2 am feedings so easy.. All I have to do is move herto the nipple and we both can go back to sleep. She also never fusses anymore at night, I just wake up when she wakes up or squirms alot.. its really good for bonding.

The only way to heat up breastmilk so it doesn't lose all its nutriences is under warm water. It takes forever, but thats what I was told.

------------------
- nicole -
Surreal Ivy - 11/04/00
It must feel good to stand above me
While I make you so proud of me

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Women try to set breastfeeding world record

rock ON! I am all for breast feeding. its benefits have been long touted. had long discussions on the topic with a friend of mine; she did a masters thesis on breastfeeding duration in military communities.

------------------
"In God we trust. All others must pay cash..." faw-choon kookie say.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I breastfed my son until he self-weaned. I didn't realize babies would self-wean, and so I forced it on him for another month. It was terribly frustrating, until I pulled out a book, and read that a lot of babies self-ween between 9-12 months. I didn't terribly enjoy breastfeeding. I found it very draining, when I have another child (far down the road), I think I would wean earlier. Once my son started food, it became so hard to breastfeed him. It was an exhausting experience, and certainly a blessing in the middle of the night. I breastfed in public. If the mall had nursing stations, I used them, cause they were usually quite comfortable with pillows/stools/rockingchairs. If not, I sat in teh food court (or my favorite place McDonald's) and fed him. I covered myself up with a receiving blanket, not because I was afraid of other people, but because it made ME feel more comfortable. I had a few weird stares, but hey, my son is allowed to be hungry/thristy, so they can just go shove it! lol

The best thing we did though, was give him a bottle of formula before bed. At around 2 weeks my partner would give him a bottle before bed. My son, slept longer, and it was ssssoooo nice to have one feeding where I didn't have to feed him. It was liberating. Plus it meant I could go out for the occasional night with the girls. I highly recommend doing doing that!

Tootles girls

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
perkymelissa
Neophyte
Member # 12566

Icon 3 posted      Profile for perkymelissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I say it does, but whatever you call it the milk is better from us then from a lab somewhere still.

And by us I mean that too- from people, females of course, I think, but not even necessarally moms.

There's simply real milk and fake milk. i don't want to offend anybody but if it's better it's better and everyone agrees it's better.

So i really like that you asked this question. Cow milk isn't for our babies, we should all know that, but much if not most of the benefit of using your own breast in our babies mouth can be obtained if we supply the same food with a fake nipple or even let someone else use there's.

It used to be commonplace I hear. For example back in the south upperclass women would let the maid feed there baby along with there own.

If the father of my baby wanted to keep our kid with him without me being there I would ask him whose milk/ wher he was gonna get it.

I don't understand why it's so hard to find it and why everyone is so uptight about this! IIt's milk! You can order peni juice more easally then it it seems.....

quote:
Originally posted by Aria51:
What about feeding a baby expressed milk in a bottle? Does that count as breastfeeding or bottle-feeding?

Posts: 2 | From: tucson, az, usa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiSsELLe
Neophyte
Member # 12460

Icon 5 posted      Profile for GiSsELLe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok I am a month pregnant I just want to know if I can breast feed because I am 16 well I am going to be 17 when i have my baby but am I to young?

Posts: 10 | From: NeW YoRK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Women having babies while still in their teens is nothing new, and the human population would be a lot smaller if mothers under a certain age were too young to lactate. There can sometimes be problems (not because of your age, but just in general), but generally, if you're old enough to become pregnant, you're old enough to be able to feed your child. You may want to check out resources here.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

I still love you, oh, I still love you
...Only slightly, only slightly less than I used to

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a_c_munson
Activist
Member # 12477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for a_c_munson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would point out that formula companys themselves say "the next best to breast"
My first child was a premie and i pumped for a month till I dried up. then we had to switch to formula. I never got to feed her without a bottle. I was very disapointed. But she is quite possibly the healthist child on the planet. She got breast milk via the bottle for a month. My opnion is to try it. If it is an enjoyable experance continue until it is not.
I am derterminded to breast feed my baby due in june as long as i can or until she can talk. Having a conversation with someone while they are eating seems a little rude. But that is just me.

Posts: 94 | From: plymouth,mn,usa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is absolutely nothing wrong with bottle feeding. My parent's generation were mostly bottle fed because it was thought to be 'unlady-like'! I enjoyed breastfeeding my son until he was about 2 months, and then I really resented it. But I kept it up until he said enough is enough. I honestly think he knew I hate it, so he stopped. Once you start to hate breastfeeding, stopping is the best thing for you and your baby. With advances in science formula is so much better these days anyways. Dreading doing something 6-12 times a day, every day, is way worse then any benefits.

The only major benefit I personnaly found was the middle of the night feedings. My son would wake up, I would grab him from the basinette, put him on the boob and take a snooze while he snacked. Then 30-45 minutes later when I woke up; he would have fallen asleep and fallen off the boob, I would pick him up and put him back in the basinette. I was rarely sleep deprived (except during colic)

No one should ever feel guilty about not breastfeeding. You have to do what is right by you and your child. Giving them the colustrum (high in antibodies and nutrients) is great, and if once your milk comes in, you want to formula feed, then you should go for it. And breastfeeding doesn't guarantee anything. My son was breastfed and had colic. I was breastfed and have severe allergies. Breastfeeding only helps prevent certain illnesses, just like not smoking helps to prevent lung cancer.

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michiko
Neophyte
Member # 12783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michiko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi all.

i breastfed my baby for about four months, except for the first couple of days after she was born. she and i have different blood types, and the docs didn't want her to have breast milk jaundice, so she was on bottled milk for that time and underwent light treatment and blood work in the hospital nursery.

i had to stop nursing for a couple of months before i went back to school, because i couldn't have my breasts dripping out milk while i was in class. also, my baby's teeth came out early, so it was starting to get painful, even though i loved breastfeeding--it was easy, no fuss, you just have to keep your breasts clean.

what i wanted to say, which i think hasn't been commented on in this thread, is that if you choose to breastfeed, is to ask your doc if you can take calcium and iron supplements, and if you should drink a milk supplement for breastfeeding moms. your calcium and iron stores get depleted when you breastfeed, and these need to be replaced.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anarcho-mama
Neophyte
Member # 12433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anarcho-mama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that coosing to not breastfeed your child is a choice-- a choice that will hurt your child. I plan on breastfeeding all of my kids past two years. If they did not self-wean (which usually happens between 4 and 5) I would call it quits at 5 or 6. Yes, many formula-fed babies are healthy, but studies show that they are less healthy than breastfed babes. Breastfed babies have higher IQ's and less risk of almost all ailments later in life. If I did not breastfeed, I know that if my kid got a B in school, or got allergies or ear infections or whatever, I'd wonder if it was because of that first choice I'd made for my child, who would definitely have chosen breastmilk over artificial breastmilk if he/she was old enough to decide for him/herself. It's great that formula is ther for people who absolutely cannot physically breastfeed, but for anyone else, it's a copout. Get over your body issues/society's f#cked-up views of breasts, because your kid deserves the best. ALL kids want, need, and deserve human milk!!!

------------------
Mandy
Julian's rockin mama!

Posts: 11 | From: Louisville, KY, amerikkka | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Thank you for your input in support of breastfeeding, anarcho-mama. However, your words left me feeling rather hurt.

Yes, breastfeeding is by far the superior choice. Yes, humans are genetically programmed to require human milk for the first few years of life. Yes, breastfeeding benefits both mother and baby.

However, breastfeeding or bottlefeeding is a choice. While it is good to support breastfeeding and all the wonders it holds, it is not very nice, not very fair and not very emotionally supportive to suggest to someone who does not choose to breastfeed that she is directly harming her infant.

Not every woman who chooses to formula feed is doing so because of body issues or society's views. Honestly, I can't think of any woman who chose not to breastfeed because she thought her breasts were strictly sex objects.

Switching from breast to bottle was an extremely hard and emotional choice for me to make, but I stand by the fact that it was the RIGHT choice for me and my son. Which is better -- a woman who formula feeds and does so successfully and gives her child all the love and emotional stability it needs, or a woman who breastfeeds but, like I did, feels like such a failure when she trys to do it that she finds herself screaming at her newborn?

Of course we all know the BEST scenario is a woman who is successful at breastfeeding and loves and supports her child. However, we do need to recognize that some women do not get the support and guidance they need to successfully breastfeed, or they have their own reasons to formulafeed. These women are not inferior mothers, and should not under any circumstance be treated as such somewhere where they are supposed to be getting support.

Had I been aware of the help I would have gotten from La Leche League, I would probably still be breastfeeding today. I didn't, I quit, I feel horrible about it, but I've moved on with my life and will try harder next time. I admire all mothers, and how they choose to feed their infants is honestly nothing I can control. All we can do here is provide unbiased information about each choice, and hope those reading will use the information provided to make the proper choice to suit their situation.

Feel free to provide support for breastfeeding moms and expectant moms who are considering breastfeeding by giving your own personal stories of success and linking to good pro-breastfeeding sites, but let's not do so by insulting moms who made the other choice, okay?

[This message has been edited by Aria51 (edited 04-26-2003).]

Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Actually anarcho-mama, most children self-wean at 9-12 months, when they start to feel 'independent' and are starting to feed themselves, not at 4 or 5 like you suggest. If someone choose to continue to breastfeed until a child is 5 or 6, you are actually doing your child some harm. By that age a child is feeling independent, and doing 'his or her own thing', exploring his world and interacting with it in a way not seen before. Children at that age are comparing themselves to each other, imagine a child's embarrassement to learn that he or she is not like everyone else, in that his or her mother still breastfeeds them. You can find all this in a psychology textbook.

Again, with psychology, IQ really has nothing to do with intelligence, nor does breastfeeding have anything to do with intelligence. Intelligence is largely based on environment and partially on genetics (excluding genetic defects that affect intelligence, in which case genetics plays the major part).

Children who come from nonsmoking homes have less risk of ailments later in life. Children who are brought up feeling like they are unique and loved, have less risk of social and emotional problems later on. Children whose mother's got proper prenatal care, and took care of themselves, tend to have fewer problems later in life. Not to even mention how a birth itself can affect a child, especially if there were complications. The moral of all this is, breastfeeding may or may not play a factor in health later on, but A ZILLION OTHER FACTORS ARE INVOLVED TOO. Breastfeeding is just one of many.

Ear infections in children is a physiological problem. The eustachean tubes are narrow and more curved in babies. As a child grows they widen, and straighten out more. And as a matter of fact, the sucking action on a breast or a bottle actually causes a lot of discomfort to a child with an ear infection. The position that children are breastfeed and bottle fed actually is counterproductive to children, and the ears can't properly drain. That is the first thing I was told when my breastfed son got his first ear infection, to feed him in a more upright position.

The take home message, to everyone, I am certainly not trying to single anyone out here, is this: everything affects a child in different ways. Giving your child all the love in the world, and letting your child know that he or she is special is THE BEST THING you can do for your child. Everything else comes in second.

Parenthood is full of choices and decisions, breastfeeding is one of them. A lot of times there is no clear cut choice that is best for every child, and breastfeeding/bottle feeding happens to be one of them.

[This message has been edited by Insane (edited 04-28-2003).]

Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Aria51, you should never feel any guilt or anything about not breastfeeding your child. I can distinctly remember calling my mom one afternoon, just sobbing, cause I was feeding my son for what felt like the 100th time that day. He was 3 months, I believe. I had figured I had watched all the reruns of Golden Girls in the 3 months since his birth. I can remember saying to my mom, that no one told me it was gonna be like this, not the books, and no one from the chat groups I had been too. My mom told me there are 2 types of women, those who have breastfed, and those who have never done it. She said, first thing, "never take advice from someone who has never done it", just like you don't take child rearing advice from someone who doesn't have kids. And then she went on to say, "as someone who fits into the first group, I don't remember ever telling you it was easy or fun and you are hard pressed to find someone that like every aspect of it" Then my mom showed up with some videos, so I didn't have to watch Golden Girls again. It took my son for me to realize how smart my mom is. Nonetheless, I digress.... In the grand scheme of life, breastfeeding is really low. Loving is most important.
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bump!

this is a good thread... i just recently weaned my son when he was about 2.5! Wow! go us!

i cannot believe it's been that long....

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i have not had been through whole 9 months pregnancy yet and won't be for a few years.

However, when i am ready.. and I do plan to breastfeed my babies with milk. I am just that traditional. My mom did it and my cousin Jill who's married and has two lil kids. She has nursed her first with breastfeeding and is still is with her 2nd (she's only 6 months). I still don't know when i'll have the cutoff with breastfeeding. I'll know when i get there lol

------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chey
Neophyte
Member # 16819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mt baby is 10 months and i still breastfeed and plan to untill he is 1 1/2, but i was just curious if he self-weaned right now would i have to give him a bottle or could he just have a sippy?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.